1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Things to Do With Cheap Ramen Noodles

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yeah, I'm talking Ramen of the Top variety. Nothing fancy.

This thread is all David Chang's fault. If you don't know who David Chang is, get out from under your food rock and go do some Googling. Seriously. This specific thread is the result of watching the first episode of this: The Mind of a Chef: Season 1 Episode Descriptions - PBS Food

After watching, I promptly went to the grocery store and bought a giant box of Oriental-flavor Top Ramen, as it turns out there is a lot the lowly cheap-o ramen noodle is capable of.

Now I have set out on an Epic Quest. I am unafraid, and I will experiment to my heart's content.

Today, I took a package of ramen, put the noodles in a Pyrex, covered them with an ample amount of water, and microwaved them for about 5 minutes, which is the perfect length of time for al dente ramen noodles in my particular microwave. I then drained the noodles, added about 2 tbsp of butter and an egg, and stirred the crap out of that. The goal was to let the hot noodles cook the egg, resulting in a sauce not unlike carbonara--in this case, a little less creamy and more eggy, but still quite good. I added half the seasoning packet along with a few grinds of black pepper. Oriental is actually a pretty good seasoning base as it is largely onion in flavor (leek, garlic, onion, and plenty o' MSG).

Next time, I hope to have parmesan cheese on hand (skipped it because I didn't have it), and I will likely add peas.

Have you done anything different with ramen noodles?

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've put it on my head, it makes a great hairpiece. :p

Seriously, I've used them to add to various meals.
    Seasoning differently, sometimes a pasta to add to a salad.
    I find that it tastes best with chicken...
    I like to stir it in with a vegetable or two with the chicken for a nice mixed meal. The broth flavors it nicely.
    The key is to put all your favorite flavors together.

I used it quite often back when my Ex was on a ramen kick...but I don't as much anymore.
    hmm...maybe that's what I've have tonight.

3. If you have chinese the night before, if you cook up a pack of ramen (flavor is irrelevant as the packet isn't used) and stir it in, you can make the chinese last another meal. I've used this trick a bunch of times.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes, but in my defense I was quite young and very curious.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

As a student with no good kitchen, but access to a kettle, I used your exact recipe, snowy. No microwave, just boiling water then the rest.

Adding shredded ham, or tinned veg works too.

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Oh, wait, it's @snowy.

Still. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

There were times, years ago, when I'd eat nothing but Ramen for a week or two straight. I never did anything too fancy with them, but I liked mixing different flavor packets, or skipping the packets completely and concocting my own sauce mixtures. Sometimes I'd just douse them in hot sauce and be done with it. (oh--I never at e them as "soup"--I'd drain the water completely and then toss in whatever.)

I've only recently gotten to the point that I can eat Ramen again. I tried a recipe using peanut butter (I don't remember what else was in it), and it was terrible. I stumbled across a recipe a couple weeks ago for Spicy Mushroom Miso Ramen and it sounds pretty yummy. Might try that one out soon.

8. snowy

I love Spam. Love, love, love Spam. But man, Spam in ramen sounds like a LOT of sodium. I'd probably eat it anyway.
    --- merged: Apr 2, 2014 at 6:20 PM ---

Her instructions for making vegetarian dashi are a little different from what I'd recommend. Kombu is pretty heat sensitive, so to extract all the umami effectively, it should be soaked in cold water for a long period of time. Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art recommends an 8-hour soaking time in cold water. By contrast, dried shiitakes need boiling water to rehydrate effectively. Personally, if I know I'm going to need dashi for miso soup, I set the kombu to soak in my enamel Dutch oven in the morning. Failing that, a couple hours of soak time followed by a slow heat up to a bare simmer seems to work well if I'm short on time. In the meantime, I rehydrate the shiitakes separately and add the soaking liquid to the kombu liquid after I've removed the pieces of kombu (which can be saved, frozen, and used to make what's called second dashi). Voila, vegetarian dashi.

Additionally, that recipe could easily be made with just shiro miso for a milder flavor if you want to avoid buying two kinds of miso. On the bright side, miso never really goes bad.

The recipe you posted would also work well with udon or soba noodles.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

10. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I think I've talked about it before, but I'm a fan of doing a pseudo pad thai version. Add some scrambled egg, fish sauce, soy sauce, red pepper, peanuts, and whatever veggies I have.

I also love doing a peanut sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, a little coconut milk, lime, garlic, and fish sauce.

Classes up the joint.

11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I made some Ramen the other day. Put a beaten egg in it along with what I thought was soy sauce.
    Turns out it was Worcestershire sauce.

It didn't taste right and I didn't find out my mistake until I put everything away. D'oh!

/was still pretty good

Btw, someone made a hamburger bun out of a pack of Ramen. It's on the interweb somewhere. (no time to Google right now)

12. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

Glue 'em to your body and take Instagrams of the bodyscape.

Or not :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

That sounds difficult to clean off.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

An interesting take on ramen from Roy Choi, the guy who pretty much invented the Korean taco.

Perfect Instant Ramen - Recipes - The New York Times
    I'm sorely tempted by this, though I never buy American cheese; I'm also compelled to try making stovetop mac and cheese (cheddar cheese, evaporated milk, cornstarch) with ramen noodles instead.

15. snowy

16. snowy

Snowy's Totally Inauthentic Cheater Ramen

2 packages Top Ramen
    3 cups of water
    1 tbsp. shiro miso
    1 tsp. crushed garlic
    2 tsp. or so grated fresh ginger
    1-2 tbsp soy sauce

Cook the ramen noodles according to package directions. While they are cooking, boil 3 cups of water. In the hot water, dissolve the miso, then mix in the garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Check the flavoring; adjust as necessary to your own taste. Once the noodles are cooked, combine with the broth and serve.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

19. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  20. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Oh boy, helped my sister in law with Christmas decorations and found a mouse nest in a ceramic Christmas tree.
    It was made out of Ramon noodles.

I like @snowy 's receipt. Yum!!

• Like Like x 1