1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Think tank to U.S.: Cut oil use by 30% within a decade for national security

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/02/military-thinktank-us-oil

So here it is. Another call to reduce dependency on fossil fuels.

If you recall, before the shit hit the fan in 2008, oil prices were sky high. People were speculating prices as high as $150 to $250 per barrel. We got as high as $147.30 in July 2008 before the recession hit and sapped demand.

There is still a problem: peak oil. Some say that existing output will only decline over time. There is potential for new sources, but will it be able to keep up?

As we move out of this recession, oil demand will only rise, taking prices with it.

How difficult will it be for prices to climb over $150?
    Will we find enough new oil to keep prices down?
    Will renewable technology see a boom in light of the situation?
    How high will oil get before causing economic distress?

How vulnerable is the US?
    What should be done?

2. loquitur

loquitur Getting Tilted

Good thinking. I have maintained for a very long time that our reliance on imported petrochemicals is bad for our national security. It certainly has distorted our foreign policy in very undesirable ways. What I have advocated for a long time was a user tax on petroleum, offset by reductions in taxes elsewhere. That way we don't feed the government beast more, but we do get the benefits of the disincentive to petroleum consumption (shifts to smaller cars, tighter land use, better conservation, cleaner air).

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yes, loquitur, but I think it's time to get particularly aggressive with some of the strategies. You could offset a user tax on petroleum with tax credits on natural gas and electricity use (related to natural gas, electric, and hybrid autos). You could also offer attractive cash-back options for natural gas, electric, and hybrid autos, making them equal to or cheaper upfront than regular autos. Currently, they're more expensive and only reach a break-even point in a reasonable amount of time when gasoline prices are high; otherwise, it can take quite a while.

4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

America doesn't have the leadership to make something like this happen and they don't have the people willing to make the sacrifices that would be necessary.

5. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

I agree with Charlatan, in that our leadership is sorely lacking. They all seem to be too busy fucking interns, snorting coke and fighting amongst themselves to actually do their jobs.

I however, disagree, with the idea people are not willing to make sacrifices. I think we are willing, to do what is necessary, to develop and use renewable resources. But I also think most people don't believe it's necessary and therefore can't justify a reason to sacrifice.
    Just after Katrina, when gas prices began to rise, we heard a lot of excuses about why the prices went up, most of them about supply issues. At the same time the internet is flooded with 'secret government geological reports' showing larger fine crude reserves under the Rockys than in all of the middle east, reserves in the Dakotas, Alaska and the Gulf that could supply us for many, many years to come. Then Oil companies post record Billion dollar profits in the next quarter, Senators and Congressman are driving around in Humvees and flying around on private jets to get their $1000 haircuts, all while telling us we need to tighten our belts and reduce our consumption..?? I think I heard a collective FUCK YOU! ring out across the nation that day. Personally I'm just tired of all the "Do as I say, not what I do" bullshit.
    Confidence and trust in the government is very low right now and no one trusts big oil either. I think the people are just tired of being lied too and as a result, we're just trying to stick with what we know. Their only solution to date has been Ethanol, which is a total debacle. Food prices shot up, fuel prices remained the same and I get 5 miles to the gallon less than with petroleum fuel. Not to mention the impact on Tequila, with all the Agave farmers converting their crops to corn, my beloved nectar of the Gods has doubled in price. Cunts.

I see two potential solutions:

-The first would create incentives for the oil companies to develop renewable energy sources, while reducing oil profits with price caps.
    I'm not a fan of this solution, because I don't agree with rewarding children for bad behavior or government regulation of business.

-The second would require a complete separation of business and government, term limits on all elected officials and a civilian body of energy regulators to control costs and direct research.
    The last part pisses off some people, but hey, the Federal Reserve has been doing it (with money) since the 1800's and until recently, when the corruption became obvious, worked fairly well.

But alas, I have little hope for any of this. As long as it's profitable for government to align with big business, profit will drive political decisions. I see this more of a 'crisis of conscience' than an energy crisis. If we can do what's right, the solutions are at hand. As long as unchecked profit is the motive, the solutions will be a long time coming. A 30% cut is just a Band-Aid, that will not stop the hemorrhage.

6. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

After living through the oil shortage in Phoenix in 2003 (1/3 of the supply was cut off), and seeing the oil tankers drive back and forth from Tucson to Phoenix to try and take the place of the pipeline...I still feel Americans are way to addicted and reliant on gasoline.

The thing is that there are people way ahead of me in line to get gasoline in a crisis/shortage scenario. Military, police, fire, EMT, trucks, city services, post office, etc... then you have people who would be willing to pay $20/gallon if demand outstripped supply and the speculators knew that people would pay that.

I have cut my usage way back. I don't use any to commute to work, and even going to the store I frequently ride my bike.

However, the only true way to fix it is to make oil and gasoline meaningless. Solid state batteries could do that in a few years.