1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

This too is getting out of hand TRANSGENDER(ism)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DAKA, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

What is all the fuss about this OMG, aren't there much bigger problems in the world

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I agree, the amount of time and effort spent discussing and arguing about the various nuances of gender identity is absolutely silly to me. Identify how you want and live life in accordance with that identity - just don't make it everyone else's business or keep injecting a narrative into political discourse.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DAKA

Right ...enough already, I don't give as shit about your ABNORMAL b/s

4. omega

omega Very Tilted

Just because it's not your problem doesn't mean it's not real. A Muslim ban doesn't personally affect me. Transgender people getting assaulted and beaten to death doesn't personally affect me. Being a white Christian looking male means a lot doesn't affect me. Muslim discrimination, discrimination against women, gays, minorities, none of those personally affect me so they must not be real problems or issues. It's a political discourse because people are facing discrimination. And it's a narrative until it's normalized. Until people stop making a big deal about someone being different "from them".
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 10, 2017 ---
    Wow. I was typing my previous response when yours came through. Abnormal? Well what is normal? You think you have a definition of "normal?" Maybe your normal is just a politically correct way of discriminating against people who are different from you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

@omega really hit it on the head.

I work with trans people and this kind of political gamesmanship really does fuck with their lives while, yes, it doesn't effect me one bit.
    It is important to me that I step outside of my needs and try to put myself in others places.
    Just because I'm not like them doesn't mean I shouldn't care.

Plus, they get murdered much more frequently which is fucking horrible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

That is not at all what I was referencing when I mentioned "nuances of gender identity". I was talking about stupid shit such as attempting to introduce new gender pronouns or make a 3rd bathroom (next to male and female) mandatory. Proponents act like it's a priority issue worthy of taking the political spotlight when, in fact, it's as close to the bottom of humanity's priorities as it gets.

I would be surprised if both you and @redravin did not completely miss DAKA's intent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DAKA

This it what percentage of the population.......don't you think it is a bit out of proportion?

8. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Are you familiar with the term "white fragility"?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  10. omega

omega Very Tilted

Here in America we are always talking about the rights of the individual. So it really only takes one person, not some minimal threshold of the population. That is known as the tyranny of the majority. How do you say to one individual "you don't have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I mean, it's written into our founding documents, the right of the individual.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DAKA

And, how would that work, hmmm, so many "individuals"...let's see........... I want...............

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. omega

omega Very Tilted

As long as your rights don't impinge on others. And that's what courts are for. For example, gays can marry. People who follow religions tend to pitch fits about that. But their right to worship imaginary beings is not being impinged on, because religions don't have a lock on marriage and nothing keeps them from enacting whatever retarded rules they want on themselves. So Jews and muslims can cut skins off their penis, christians can forgo earthly pleasures, and everyone can tithe their money away. But though they can worship as they please, they cannot tell others what to do. And I can commit imaginary blasphemy without repercussion. Because America!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. soreNutSac

soreNutSac Vertical

I could not care less if a person decides to live his/her life how they see fit. As long they don't impose it on others. You take Jenna Talackova for example. He tried to be allowed to compete for Miss Universe. This is one of those lines for me. OK, yes he sure look like an attractive woman but he will never be the real thing; no mater how many surgeries he has. I'm sorry but i don't want to start second guessing if a Miss Universe pageant is actually a man! I also have a lot of reservation for allowing someone to be able to legally reassign their sex. Same thing, sex change surgery can't do miracles.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DAKA

sNC Agree

15. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I just filled out a form that posted my sexuality and gender identity like this: 2017-08-10_20-38-38.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Sports is another area that I feel that they would have to compete as men, and not be taking any banned drugs that the other athletes can't take. I don't want to see a trans man or trans woman competing against women and winning.

The bathroom thing, I could care less about. Prove it is a problem first. I doubt many people are impacted by it, and is more of a problem for the transgendered getting harassed.

The one issue where I do think work needs to be done is in prisons. I haven't heard of any stories, but I'm not sure where they would get placed that would be safe.

17. soreNutSac

soreNutSac Vertical

Wow, that something else part is scary!
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 11, 2017 ---
    I would have no issues if sports or any other type of competitions start creating categories only for trans gender contestants. That would be a whole new ball game to manage (not my problem) but at least everyone would kind of have a good idea what to expect.

And very good point about prisons. Managing those cases would increase the cost but if it helps improve their safety i would definitively agree to that.

Bottom line...
    Is there a difference between a man and a woman? Yes, definitively!
    Is there a difference between a woman and a man who had a sex change? Yes, definitively!
    Is there a difference between a man and a woman who had a sex change? Yes, definitively!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  18. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

One of my friends from the dorm in college was an athlete in high school, and was very serious about her sport. She didn't experience puberty like the other girls and when she looked into it, she learned she had a y chromosome. She had distinctly feminine anatomy, so it never occurred to them that maybe the reason why she could keep up with the boys was because she was one.

It presented an intense identity crisis for her. Her offer of college athletic scholarships were understandably revoked and she was left adrift just before she started college, wondering what the heck she would do with her life. She was at a school where gender identity is not fluid, where she had few resources to face her internal battle.

I wish we were still in touch, she had an inspiring personality.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Tough issue to address.

Yes, there are issues in transgenderism that need to be addressed.

Yes, there are many people--politicians, religious leaders, social activists, and the news media--who blow it way out of proportion.

The solution? FIIK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Geez, secret service application? ;)

• Like Like x 1