1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Tilted Breakfast Foods

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Oct 6, 2011.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This morning one of my neighbors seems to be preparing fried fish for breakfast. The odor permiates the air and makes for an interesting aroma, when mixed with the previously overwhelming maple of another neighbor. Maple + fish? Yes, these are definitely different neighbors preparing their breakfast at the same time. But it got my thinking...
    Do you ever smell strange things being prepared by your neighbors at breakfast-time?
    What is the oddest thing you have ever consumed or seen consumed for breakfast?
    Are there certain odors that you're opposed to smelling early in the morning?
    What is your favorite tilted breakfast food?

-----------------------------------------------
    There's this place around the corner that serves a unique twist on hash browns - they call it Hippie Hash. It has feta cheese, mushrooms, bell peppers, and grated potatoes. Feta cheese is delicious - and a remarkable way to wake up a palate.
    Yeah, fried fish is pretty disgusting first thing in the morning.
    I love feta on scrambled eggs.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My favourite breakfast is leftover (cold) pad thai.

There is nothing I won't eat for breakfast. I prefer foods that people would normally consider dinner, hot or cold.

But I'll eat anything for breakfast.

3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i ahve to agree. theres pretty much nothing that i wont eat for breakfast.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Do you ever smell strange things being prepared by your neighbors at breakfast-time?
    Can't say that I have. The only time I can smell their cooking is if one of them is grilling in their backyard.
    I have no clue. I will eat almost anything for breakfast. The oddest has probably been some sort of tailgating food before a football game or a race. Bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on the grill are probably pretty odd for breakfast, but I've had them. So that's probably my answer.
    If we are talking normal food odors, I can't say anything bothers me just because it is morning.
    Probably my wife's homemade biscuits and gravy, with some scrambled eggs. She makes just about the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had. The only place that competes is Byways Cafe in Portland, OR. But in general I'm a huge fan of breakfast food. I love a good omelot, or some crispy hashbrowns. And ever since I was a little kid breakfast sausage has been one of my favorite foods. :)

This morning I had breakfast at The Hamburg Inn in Iowa City. It has been on several "best breakfast" lists from various shows and websites. I know my omelot was awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Nothing really from my neighbors, but We do liver really close to a Denny's. Yuck.

What's the oddest thing you have ever consumed or seen consumed for breakfast?
    I don't discriminate against foods at any meal. I'll eat whatever for breakfast.
    Cold pizza, leftovers, thai chicken knishes... you name it.

Nope.

I don't like traditional breakfast foods much. I'll eat eggs on occasion. Pancakes or waffles rarely.
    Hollandaise makes benedicts inedible to me. I like to have scrambled egg whites sometimes with a few hash browned potato pieces, a bowl of fruit, and a piece of rye toast with
    strawberry jam. And cheese grits.
    Okay, cheese grits are my favorite tilted breakfast food.

6. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Aside from those things mentioned in the bagel thread...

Cold Chinese food HAS to be my favorite breakfast food that's a bit out of the ordinary. I'm also a big cold pizza aficionado UNLESS the cheese is hard, at which point I will nuke it just long enough to make it floppy. A full blown toaster oven style reheat is preposterous and unacceptable.

I will say that the breakfast I WISH I could have every day would be a combination of Vietnamese pho and banh mi, pho being a noodle-based soup laden with various meats, basil, mint, lime, bean sprouts, and other goodies, and banh mi being a sandwich that can have just about anything under the sun on it, but preferably the pork variety. I don't know what else Vietnam does well, but watching Anthony Bourdain eat breakfast over there instantly made me fall in love with those dishes. Screw the scrambled eggs and pancake shit we do over here, I want a man's breakfast.

As far as certain odors go, yes, I smell plenty of those first thing in the morning, but they're usually emanating from me and have little to do with breakfast. Well, maybe from the day before.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Pho...nom nom nom nom.

I used to live above some guys who were always cooking cabbage. Didn't matter what meal it was, it was always cabbage.

I don't think I've ever had anything too out of the ordinary for breakfast. Probably leftovers of some kind--I love leftover Chinese food for breakfast.

8. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I'm much the same, I'll eat just about anything for breakfast. Asian foods just seem to be better though.

When I'm hungover then I do the traditional english breakfast complete with baked beans and fried bread. Yummy.

9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

-----------------------------------------------
    I have a friend who likes taco shells filled with cold, leftover spaghetti. Interesting texture.:eek:
    Fish doesn't bother me, but cauliflower or liver cooking would be pretty nasty.
    Cheese omelet with some kind of sausage. Cottage cheese. straw- rasp- or blueberries on the side.
    If I'm fluffing off (temporarily, of course);) my low carb diet, I love Irish oatmeal, either hot or cold, with real cream and berries.

Lindy

10. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Not anymore, but I've lived in a few apartments in my life, and there have been times I've smelled really unexpected things. When my family lived in the Midwest, it was not uncommon for us to smell bourbon cornbread in the morning, heavy on the bourbon, from the neighbors upstairs and across the hall. The mom living there was like someone had distilled every cliche about the South into one human receptacle, she was, shall we say, portly, boisterous but kind, friendly to a fault, but bitterly racist. And god could she cook. I think she was the person who introduced me to the concept of Southern cooking, years before Alton Brown was on TV. But yeah, she made bourbon cornbread often, and the entire apartment building smelled like bourbon for a few hours. You know there's a lot of alcohol when you're getting a contact buzz.

A high school girlfriend's family had a dish made with fish and eggs in the morning. She was first generation American and her parents were from a small village in the Philippines. I normally love Filipino cuisine, but like GG, fish for breakfast (other than smoked salmon, of course) just doesn't work with my concept of the meal.

I used to hate the smell of coffee in the morning, particularly used grinds, now I love coffee in the morning. I'm not wild about the smell of raw meat in the morning. I can't stand morning breath.

Up until recently, I probably would have said pancetta, but now I absolutely have to say crepes with raspberry sauce. I had my first crepe about two months ago and it was eggy and flat and delicious... and perfect with fruit. I've since had them with apricots, strawberries, pears, apples, and pineapples, but raspberries are, imho, the perfect fruit to go with crepes. I use Alton Brown's crepe recipe, because it's insanely simple.

11. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Just curious, how were you having your pancetta? With eggs or some other main dish?
    I like the smell and taste but it is so potent I am usually using it to flavor or enhance other things.

12. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I had it mostly with eggs and toast. It's strong stuff, but I like certain strong flavors in the morning. I like to have it on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

13. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Do you ever smell strange things being prepared by your neighbors at breakfast-time? / Are there certain odors that you're opposed to smelling early in the morning?
    Not by the neighbors, but waking to the smell of "dinner" foods at breakfast kind of turns my stomach. We're an avid Crock Pot household, and the aroma of chicken tortilla soup permeating the house first thing in the morning is not my ideal for food to smell when I'm waking up.

I'm boring and conventional when it comes to breakfast. I've probably eaten a tuna carpaccio with quail egg in a fancy restaurant for breakfast at some point, but it's obviously not stuck with me. Given the choice, I don't do non-breakfast food for breakfast (although, Baraka_Guru, pad thai for breakfast sounds delicious).

My first choice is eggs, eggs and more eggs, preferably accompanied by bread (toast or biscuits) and meat (breakfast sausage). Cheese is a must have if this concoction becomes a sandwich.

Pancakes and French Toast are other favorites. I like my pancakes small, light and fluffy, and I take both with syrup and butter—no powdered sugar or fruit.

Barring the previous two, I'll happily devour a sesame bagel with cream cheese (plain or strawberry).

Also, I can eat me a ton of croissants.

Goddamn, I love breakfast food.

Maybe I should go eat some lunch now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

Scotch eggs rock for breakfast!

15. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

I like cold, leftover pizza for breakfast.

• Like Like x 4
  16. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Eggs+ Salsa= morning goodness

17. Borla

I have done that more times than I can count. Especially if it was beer and pizza the night before.

Right now I smell bacon and eggs. Bacon and eggs that will be in my tummy shortly. It's glorious. :p

18. I just indulged. Cold breakfast pizza is far superior to hot dinner pizza. I'm really not averse to leftover anything for breakfast - Chinese, Italian, Mexican - I've eaten it all in the a.m.

I actually prefer some protein in the morning. My favorite is eggs and bacon, but I've been known to make a tuna or turkey sandwich in the morning. I LOVE French toast, but I need some bacon or ham to go with it, I can't eat it alone. I also love oatmeal.

I used to have neighbors that would cook stuff that would permeate the entire building, but I don't recall if it ever happened at breakfast. I worked late - between midnight and 2 am - so I wasn't usually awake during typical breakfast hours. If an odor is going to turn my stomach, it's going to turn my stomach regardless of when I smell it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Borla

About to have some steak and eggs. Both the steak and the eggs from the same small, local farms. Sometimes it's good to be friends with a farmer, the eggs were even free. :D

20. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Love it.
    What kind of steak did you have?