1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tomato sauce question..

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Daval, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I have a catering event next month, and one of the menu items is a pasta in an Italian Sunday type sauce loaded with meat (served family style). What I typically do is take veal bones some spicy sausage and other cuts and simmer them in the tomato sauce until they basically fall apart. The sauce is incredibly flavourful and has that made by grandma type taste.

The challenge though is my customer has told me that I can absolutely not use veal. Normally I use Osso bucco in a nice 2-3 inch thickness for this recipe because it has lots of meat and the bones are there as well for flavour.

Will beef shanks work just as well here? Or another cut of beef? I was thinks no maybe short ribs or something....

Looking for advice.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Beef shanks and beef short ribs would probably make a good substitute.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The beef will probably be fine, and since the customer hasn't tasted the venison version they won't know the difference.

Note--Per the instructions I've read here & there, I add some sugar to my tomato sauce recipes because it supposedly cuts some of the acidity.

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I use shredded carrots rather than sugar.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I hadn't heard of that.

6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Actually, beef works quite well. You might try using a little lamb if you want to up the meaty depth of the sauce. I sometimes use beef short ribs and some lean lamb stew in tomato sauce. The lamb cooks pretty quickly-- half an hour or so-- and the beef short rib is quite flavorful, as long as you brown it well first to cook off some of the fat, since it's relatively fatty.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Because they contain umami, mushrooms add a meaty depth as well as a meaty texture. They can also be "hidden" by using ground dried mushrooms, which give the meaty flavor without the texture.
    I dislike carrots and rarely add sugar to sauces. The meat should balance out the acidity. If you want a little sweetness, try caramelizing some of the onions and garlic. You are using onions and garlic, right? Or shallots work, but are more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

If they have an objection to veal, they may not be too cool with lamb, either. Just putting that out there. I'd go with the beef or the mushrooms.