1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Trump - What has he done now???

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Analysis | ‘When I won,’ Trump thought, ‘now I’ll get good press’

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

• Like Like x 3
  4. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

5. rogue49

6. rogue49

A friend of Evil everywhere :mad:
    Trump keeps praising international strongmen, alarming human rights advocates

Even before his time in politics he was friends with mafia (even mentored and counseled by them)

This is NOT an exaggeration.

I'm for projection of power and some realpolitik
    but he favors and admires the grand tyrants.

If Dr. Evil were real...he'd likely want to be allies.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

He is also talking about how the US System (of Checks and Balances) is working against him. Very antiquated.

How long until he proposes his own system that grants him greater authority?

EDIT: Just came across this article.

Historian Timothy Snyder: “It’s pretty much inevitable” that Trump will try to stage a coup and overthrow democracy

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  8. rogue49

He wishes...but I doubt it, he's not smart enough to pull it off.
    Even many of the GOP are starting to rebel against him and call him on his shit. (the new budget bridge shows this)
    He'll likely get impeached before he gets the chance.
    The resistance is building.

The Pentagon is after him now, the CIA, the FBI, Congress...more and more investigations.
    The momentum is building.

I'd say in the end, there's going to be a lot of people in jail (him and variety of allies)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Charlatan

Not if another 9/11 happens in the meantime...

Or a Reichstag fire.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rogue49

Well, so far he hasn't shown the inclination to jail people or kill them.
    So, unless he starts showing that pattern...
    That would be the next transition phase for tyranny

He may be able to get away with jailing "a few" but any bodies start showing up...Americans will freak.
    Americans tend to view deaths different than other countries, I've noticed. (except random gun & car deaths, that doesn't phase them)

If another terrorist act happens (or when...but we're not as complacent as before 9/11)
    He'll try to increase DHS, DOD and DOJ...he tends to work within the system, except for the WH directly. (that he changes at whim)

What we need to watch for is he's allowing missile systems to be put into countries near Russia (Poland, Romania, etc)
    That may trigger another scenario like the Cuban Missile Crisis, when the USSR reacted to missiles in Turkey.
    He has a tendency to double-down on stupid. (that's what has me worried...)

Speaking of stupid, who wants to place bets he vetoes the stop-gap bill that has all the things against him and doesn't budget his items??? (like the wall)
    And allows the government to shut down...

11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I certainly hope so. I think the Trump University scandal alone could--if pursued properly--bring down Trump.

King Trump will never step down because of his ego. Well, actually he might, if he is indeed a smart business person who recognizes when to cut his losses and move on (more likely he'd be dragged kicking & screaming from the WH).

If serious charges are brought against Trump, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. The key word will be attrition; Trump will have a team of attorneys to protect him as a civilian, and another team to cover him as POTUS*. My feeling is he should not be shielded from anything litigable he did prior to being elected just because he is now POTUS.

*That would make for interesting research--What legal protection from civil litigation does an individual have as POTUS? What legal actions can be taken against them? How much stonewalling can the POTUS get away with? Etc.

12. rogue49

Good question
    Nixon resigned before outsted
    Then Ford pardoned him before prosecution
    So there is no "president". (To use a Trump phrasing").

13. Charlatan

I don't know that he will succeed, but he will try to gain greater powers for the Presidency. Especially if he feels he's backed into a corner. I have to wonder whether those who accused Obama of overreach will take the same stance with him... somehow I don't think they will.

As for the shutdown... I am sure his gut tells him to go all in and let the shutdown take place. It's a classic negotiation tactic to walk away from the deal. I am sure Ivanka and Jared (or someone of that ilk) will have to "get the puppets out" to explain to him why this is a bad idea.

• Like Like x 3
  14. rogue49

“He doesn’t drink. He doesn’t do drugs. His drug is himself.”

~ Sam Nunberg, a Trump campaign adviser

pretty much says it all...

15. Chris Noyb

I have read & heard many defenses of Ford; one description frequently used to describe his presidency is "healing."

I suppose one could say he closed the door on a very ugly situation with Nixon, and that did allow the US to "move on."

I say he let a criminal off the hook, and that action should be forever remembered as unforgiveable. Or should I make a an unpardonable joke :rolleyes:? It's no joke to me :mad:.

On a related note Ford is also known as the first former POTUS to seriously use his former position to rake in the big $$ (most XPOTUSs just faded away). TBF Carter did the same thing.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

17. rogue49

President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Did you expect anything else??? :rolleyes:

It's almost as if he's running the Nixon play-book.
    Frankly, it's been a predictable plot so far.

No subtlety - classic villain moves.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

If you don't like what your "employee" is telling you, fire them.

19. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  20. rogue49