1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Trump - What has he done now???

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Jan 8, 2017.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. rogue49

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

What gets me is the fact that just because he's impeached doesn't really mean anything. He's still in office he's still the president. To me it's kind of a double negative because from the way I understand it all it has done is proving that he took abuse of power. But does not seem that anything will come from it without 2/3 majority vote and that will not happen until January correct? So even if he does not get 2/3 majority vote hes still the president...

Please explain the point

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

And the way I understand it Nancy Pelosi is just withholding stuff as a bargaining chip for the Senate or kind of like trying to Blackmail them if that makes any sense

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

You're right, the impeachment in Congress does not remove Trump from office.
    If you wanted to compare it to a regular trial the Congress is like the Grand Jury where the evidence is introduced and charges are brought.
    The Senate is where the actual trial takes place.
    That is where he would be convicted and removed, if we this was the real world.

However, Moscow Mitch is in charge and has said he won't provide do a proper trial.
    This is really similar the back in the days of Jim Crow when those guys blew up the black church and killed the 4 little girls.
    The bragged about doing it so had to be arrested but the people in charge were in the fucking Klan so they walked.

Nancy is holding the charges, saying she doesn't want the KKK, I mean Moscow Mitch running the show.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

The ultimate point is that the Constitution includes the provision of impeachment as a means of holding a president accountable when that person oversteps his authority in a manner that either breaks the law or acts in a manner that clearly puts personal interest over public interest.

The framers also were concerned that it not be used for political gain so the threshold was set very high (2/3 of Senate to convict). The problem is that the Constitution says little else on what may be considered a "high crime or misdemeanor" or the details of how the process should be implemented and there are very few past examples

The House fulfilled its obligation of approving Articles of Impeachment by a majority vote. They did so under a set of rules that were adopted by a majority in the House before the process began. Pelosi is now waiting for McConnell and the Senate to adopt and vote on set of rules on how the "trial" portion of the process will take place. There is some speculation that McConnell still does not have 51 votes (out of 53 Republicans) to establish the kind of rules that he and/or Trump would like in which the Senate would act more like a co-defense attorney for Trump as opposed to acting as an unbiased jury to deliberate the facts objectively. Pelosi is in the right to wait him out.

In the end, Trump wont be convicted but that does not change the necessity of this Constitutionally mandated exercise as the "checks and balances" of last resort when there is compelling evidence that the president willfully violated the oath of office and/or committed a federal crime. No one is above the law.

This was a serious issue for the framers of the Constitution who had real concern about a president becoming a despot and abusing the power of the office for personal gain as opposed to the public good.

Alexander Hamilton explained the need for the impeachment provisions....

"When a man unprincipled in private life[,] desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper . . . despotic in his ordinary demeanour — known to have scoffed in private at the principles of liberty — when such a man is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity — to join in the cry of danger to liberty — to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion — to flatter and fall in with all the non sense of the zealots of the day — It may justly be suspected that his object is to throw things into confusion that he may 'ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.'"
    Sound like anyone we know?

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. rogue49

You would have thought we'd change in 225+ years... :oops:

10. rogue49

George Conway predicts Trump will have "unhinged, delusional, narcissistic" meltdown at SOTU over impeachment

Let’s hope
    Every little thing is a crack...a drip
    A reminder to people that they have crazy and corrupt in the drivers seat.
    If they’re denying it
    If they’re ignoring it
    If they’re ignorant
    If they’re not paying attention
    If they’re a supporter
    If they have a terrible memory
    Etc...

All adds to the snowball that may trigger an avalanche

Because, right now, we’re in some serious weather
    With dangerous conditions

But sometimes you’ve got to have a pileup
    And scare some
    To make them realize something needs to be done.

Sad, it has to happen...that damage has to occur
    Or someone even get hurt (someone important to “them”)
    To get the right thing to happen

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Yep, I was wondering what massively fucked up thing 45 was going to do to try and get reelected.
    Starting a war seemed like the obvious one and here we are.
    I love how his staff are saying they are shocked, just absolutely shocked that killing Iran's leading military officer would start some shit.
    And the Japanese thought we would take the bombing Pearl Harbor as a little venting about American involvement in the second Sino-Japanese war.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kramus

kramus what I might see

45*
    The bullshit is strong in this one.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rogue49

Opinion: Trump threatens the stability of the world — CNN

No shit
    You saw this right from the start when he shoved his way to the front of world leaders.

If you didn’t get the hint already beforehand by his campaign leveraging Russian aid.
    (and yes Mueller, he did...you just couldn’t get proof...it didn’t exonerate him either, as noted)

The fact that McConnell and most of the rest of the GOP isn’t addressing this, shows that they are incapable of making decisions for the good the nation.

We’ve got a megalomaniac on his throne
    Getting ready to pull the lever.

It’s going to get more chaotic

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rogue49

Getting shot down by the House on Twitter
    About violating The Constitution and Congress right to declare war...not the president.

It’s going to get stranger...
    The Red Queen/Orange King is on the warpath
    Declaring soon “off with their heads”

17. rogue49

18. rogue49

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ntent=link&utm_medium=website&utm_source=fark

“Trump’s ignorance has created an international crisis”
    ~ Joe Scarborough

Are you saying that most create international crisis through intelligent and well thought out decisions??

Duh

Of course, he’s ignorant
    He’s also willful...
    Etc and so on
    I’m not going list out all his bad qualities
    TLDR, right there

Let’s just say the obvious
    It’s stupid

Repeat from when he started until he ends
    That covers it.

Period, nuff said

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  19. rogue49

Sorry, no enough said...
    There’s just too much

• Like Like x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  20. rogue49

The only remaining check on Trump is the 2020 election

Unfortunately, may be true

Doesn’t help that 1/3 of the nation and half of Congress are complicit in their support of him.

Cross your finger, toes, etc
    Pray and hope the 2020 election changes things
    The presidency, the senate and more of the states

Then we have lots to new laws to make
    Including Amendments...
    And LOTS of repairs to do

We’ve got a good half of the Coliseum cheering for the slaughter
    And wanting their self proclaimed emperor to continue the show
    Despite the barbarians at the gate