1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Trump - What has he done now???

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I wonder if there are enough Democrats that are willing to cut back on their oil and gas usage to offset the money they will try and make by pumping tar sand through the KXL?

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

To be honest, I don't even care about oil industry...other than their manipulations which rip us at the pump or prop up the per barrel prices.
    If they make tons of money so be it. I'm a capitalist.
    Pipelines are fine, as long as they respect who they're displacing...and pay like crazy to keep them safe and secure.
    If banks can spend tons of money to keep out the bad guys to be able to make even more money...the damned oil companies can lock down their safety.

3. rogue49

I don't know if anyone else is noticing a pattern or indicators...
    But there are rumblings those "in the know" that the shit is about to hit the fan for Trump.

Just little comments and clips here and there...my instincts are saying something's coming.

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Trump is a shyster/con man, and out of touch with reality,
    but he's not an idiot. I wonder if he was/is smart enough to put numerous layers of people between him and the illegal activities to give him plausible deniability.

I'm thinking Trump University alone--out of many questionable dealings--would be enough to bring him down.

------------
    And fuck having the taxpayers pay for the SS to protect his globetrotting family members conducting private Trump business.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I follow the money right back to the oil, gas, and coal companies who are funding the right wing media, funding conservative think tanks, and funding politicians (and funding Republican competitors if they aren't towing the line). I view this money, (a large part from the Democrats and Progressives who haven't done enough to cut back), as being used to control state government and shaping the type of society that we have as well.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I have been hearing that energy sources like coal, and oil, are going to be in the decline regardless of what the Republicans do. Market forces are a thing and those market forces are leaning towards renewables and other alternative sources of energy.

It will take a lot longer, given the regulatory drag in the US, but change is coming.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Coal will be in decline, especially for power plants. The older ones are breaking down or being replaced, and new ones aren't being built. Even China and India are cutting back. And while I wish renewables were being adopted enough to offset them without any problems, there are some practical difficulties in setting enough up to be reliable all the time. I think energy efficiency, cutting wasteful uses of energy and future technology should be the main push now. The wind, solar, and grid improvements will be good to have now and in the future, but the real big project that this generation should work towards is energy positive fusion. And it should be given a large section of the budget with tens of thousands of scientists and engineers, along with a big support staff to move things along quickly. But Trump won't be doing any of that, and is outside the scope of this thread.

Oil use is a bigger issue and I don't see it going down anytime soon. Not like it should be. People are having too many kids, people are living longer, the choices they are making are often to not conserve oil, governments are subsidizing it, countries are dependent on the revenue from it, and some want to drill as much as they can to hurt other nations and companies economically. Even if it isn't used in vehicles, oil will be made into plastics, fertilizers, ship and jet fuel for much longer.

8. Xazy Vertical

Good trump - keystone pipeline approved!

9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Rollover and let the nice oil company scratch you tummy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rogue49

More like a rub & tug... ;)

11. Chris Noyb

Wouldn't it be more like....

Get on all fours and let the unpleasant oil company fuck your ass.

12. rogue49

And speaking of getting that...
    Trump to Toss Obama's Orders to Prepare for Extreme Weather

Sucked up by a tornado, sucks to be you
    Hurricane hit town, you're fucked
    Floods...hope you have a snorkle

It's as if he wants to provoke a Katrina scenario. (probably does...the chaos is a great decoy for his boss Putin) :mad:

13. Xazy Vertical

Ahh a true bully / intellectual response.

No comment about how it passed environmental review from 4 states, about the thousands of jobs created for construction, the 156 million in tax revenue, the domestic revenue of 5 billion from the construction, or how protestors have caused damage of over 2 million dollars by creating fires. How over a trillion is sent outside of the country for purchasing oil, and how this can help make us more energy independent.

I remember when tfp used to have real conversations, which is why I returned, sadly I forgot how liberals like to bully and not have discussions on facts.

14. Chris Noyb

My comment is not bullying, I'm not attacking anyone's opinion or POV; it's actually sarcastic humor based on the "belly rub" comment, which I did quote. Edit--Snide comment removed. Intellectual has never been used to describe me, unless it included ly and challenged.

Much of what you posted in support of the pipeline has been refuted. In fact your post reads like a press release from the companies which will profit from TKP and/or the Trump press office. BTW that's only an insult if you lifted the wording from other sources without making them your own; it's a compliment if you wrote it mostly yourself.

You mention returning to TFP. IIRC--and I could be wrong--your previous posts were little more than intentionally contrary statements clearly made to be argumentative. As opposed to taking a stand for something in which you actually believe and generating respectful discussion.

Please do stick around. Some TFPers will gladly argue with you, but I will not. In fact, if you seriously enjoy Pit Bull arguments, there is a TFPer with whom you should discuss feminism and Israel. While I don't support that member's refusal to acknowledge gray areas, I do respect their doggedness in a general way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

No comment about the environmental damage the tar sands are causing. How they are one of the most polluting types of way to get oil? How they have caused a shift in the political and social climate in Alberta and the Midwest to be Pro-Oil no matter what? And how we could easily have cut back our oil use instead by not giving large trucks a pass on fuel economy rules and handing out low interest loans for the large percentage of truck owners who only use them to commute and go grocery shopping. How about the impact oil company money has on think tanks who write policy papers, right wing media who talks about that and gets funding from the oil companies, and then the politicians who act on that issue while being funded by the oil companies?

[​IMG]

Then you have the problem of the landowners who got rich by being lucky and getting bought out by the oil company, yet the people nearby watched their property values go down and have to put up with all of the traffic and pollution. There is no way that this will help at all with "energy independence". If it helps to bring down the price of gas and diesel by adding more supply, the price will come down and the dirty gas hogs will just buy more for their 10mpg vehicles, boats, and toys.

• Like Like x 2
  16. rogue49

Trump learning the hard way the US presidency is weak

He's learning????
    Uh, you don't know very well...do ya?
    Oxymoron :p (pun intended)

It's like I said before he got in...
    He'll see
    There's the Congress (both houses, both parties AND factions AND committees)
    There Courts (NOT just SCOTUS)
    There's the bureaucracy (NOT just the cabinet and political appointees...the perm players)
    There's the lobbyists
    Etc, etc, etc

AND the media is on you like white on rice...digging, digging, digging

Seeing, maybe...but he's not learning. :rolleyes:

The public said fuck you to the most experienced candidate because they thought she smelled.
    Oh well

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  17. rogue49

New H-1B Visa Guidelines Crack Down on Computer Programmer Jobs

Trump is going to create some very influential and powerful enemies with this move.

A good percentage of the whole contracting and tech industry is supplied by these workers.
    And there already is a shortage in the tech field for skilled labor.

Just means my wage goes up...and my workload. Well, as long as I get paid. C'est la vie...

But the biz is NOT going to be happy. :mad:

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

As an American "programmer" who thinks the entire industry and education system needs to be fixed when it comes to computer programming and the job market to specialize more...(is tough if you specialize in a language that becomes obsolete though). I also wonder how many American kids want to go through the process and if there are better opportunities if you choose something else? I know I would pick something else if i were 18 again.

The tricky thing is that Trump doesn't care if he hurts the liberals out in Silicon Valley/San Francisco that use H1B visa holders and those who have overstayed tourist visas. In fact, his supporters would think it is a good thing (even if the use the products).

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

Problem is DeVos isn't likely going to help train new American techies.
    Her brother certainly doesn't likely want her to try with his connections with Russia.
    That's right, folks...another layer...
    Analysis | The Trump team is a smoke machine when it comes to Russia

Smoke & Mirrors...smoke & mirrors.
    Don't look at the man behind the curtain :eek:
    Deeper & deeper down the rabbit hole...curiouser & curiouser :confused:

• Like Like x 3
  20. rogue49

Civil war rages throughout Trump administration

See, this is why I'm glad I don't work for the government anymore...and especially for a politically sensitive target Dept like I was at for awhile.
    It can be hard enough, being a contractor. (not the cozy jobs, the ones where they make you work)

Everything trickles down.
    Morale is sensitive
    Territorial games are everywhere.
    And that's just on the govt side...don't even get me into funding and contract executives.

Right now is just a VERY toxic environment...you could feel it even in the last months before I left, just in the administration turn-over.
    And to have chaos...it just begets chaos.

I have no more hair to lose...and life is too short.
    Call me when it gets sane again.
    In the meantime, I'm corporate.

• Like Like x 2