1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected Alliances

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by genuinemommy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

With the current political turmoil in the US, I have started to notice some rather diverse groups of folks form unexpected alliances.

What alliances caught your eye?
    What is the drive for the causes to unite?
    How do you feel about this trend?
    _--------------_

In Texas, homeschool groups have taken a firm stance against School Choice.

Why?

Homeschools are considered private schools.

School Choice brings with it the potential for governmental regulation of private schools.

They either

1) don't want to be told how to educate their children.

2) have children who don't fit into any school mold, such as special needs kids whose needs were not met in either public or private schools

3) don't want rules governing how they assess proficiency

4) are afraid the state will require that they themselves are educated (currently you can homeschool in Texas without any certification, college degree, or even a GED.

I'm sure there are more reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Since a school theme has been mentioned......

We are not allied with any group that opposes allowing parents to put their children in private school and get a tax break for doing so. But we should be.

We don't have children, yet we don't mind paying school taxes. Education is important, and many children have to rely on a free public school education. Note--I was one of those children. If we (society in general) allow the money that should go to support public schools to be diverted, directly or indirectly, to private schools, our public schools will suffer even more that what they already are. We will end up with even further financially strained school districts, low pay that attracts bad teachers who can't get a job elsewhere, and pathetic schools in general. Another note--My wife works for a private school, and agrees that money should not be diverted from public schools.

• Like Like x 2