1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl records to digital -- ION Profile Pro USB turntable with input

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Chris Noyb, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The conversion of vinyl records to digital has been discussed in a few threads here. My hope is get a lot of that info into one thread (if one dedicated thread already exists I didn't find it).

I very recently purchased an ION Profile Pro USB Turntable With Input. The reviews I found of ION TTs in general have been so-so at best. I know that this not a top quality TT, it was clearly made to achieve a certain low price point. I haven't yet set it up, need to figure out the best place to do so, which will require some space clearing & organizing.

Does anyone have experience with this model? Helpful tips? Or anything useful in general regarding converting vinyl albums into digital files? If it seriously sucks, I might just sell it.

2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I looked at buying these plug in turntables a couple of years ago, but gave up on that in favour of continuing with my set up of my turntable & amp, with an input to my computer sound card using a (Amazon.com: Gemini PH62089 Stereo Mini-Male to 2 RCA-Male - 6 Feet (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics ) stereo RCA male to mini male cord.

I then downloaded the free RIPVinyl software that allowed me to play my records on the turn table and capture my music on the computer as .WAV files. It was a fun trip down memory lane, as I had to play each track and while doing so, I could download the album art and print CD jewel cases for each disc that I created. ( LP to CD transfer made easy with RIP Vinyl from Wieser Software Ltd ) That was free software back in the day (mid 2,000s) but looks like you have to pay now.

Of course, that is also dated, as after awhile, I just wanted the music file on my mp3 player rather than a collection of CDs. The software also allowed for conversion to mp3 too.

Another route you can go is to download the files from Youtube, if you can find a good quality version. There's many free apps that you can Google, that will allow for Youtube to mp3 conversions. And, since you have already bought the album, there's no issue around stealing music by downloading it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I bought a turntable preamp years ago to provide a line in voltage to my original audio CDR burner.

More recently, I used it to feed the mic input of a laptop running audacity.