1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Waffles

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, May 10, 2015.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I love waffles. I don't eat them as much as I used to, but I still love them a lot.

The best waffle recipe is Marion Cunningham's:

Marion Cunningham's Yeast-Raised Waffles Recipe | SAVEUR

I like mine Belgian style with deep pockets for more butter, so I own a Waring Pro iron like this
    [​IMG]

My dream is to own a Liege waffle iron. Some day.

View: https://youtu.be/a8jzvh5Wb00

• Like Like x 1
  2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I miss waffles. We tried to years to find a decent traditional waffle iron, as I do not like Belgians... Too much dough and mess for me. I only like a schmear of butter and maybe a tiny bit of maple syrup. I like to taste the waffle. But, no one has a decent paleo recipe that I can do at home even if I had the waffle iron. But, oh what I wouldn't do for a yummy waffle breffast.

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I do like a good waffle on occasion, but really superb waffles are incredibly hard to find-- much harder than finding superb pancakes or French toast.

A really superb waffle is big like a Belgian waffle, but light and flaky as fuck, with a distinct note of vanilla and butter. They should be enjoyed with a small amount of whipped butter and best quality real maple syrup.

I find that elaborate presentations of fruit (fresh or compote) or chocolate or caramel and whipped cream almost inevitably are present to distract from the mediocrity (at best) of the waffle itself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

Home - Waffle Window

• Like Like x 1
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

6. snowy

It's amazing! It's one of our favorite places to get breakfast in Portland. Their specials are consistently amazing, but their street waffle (just powdered sugar) is equally incredible.

7. Levite

Could be promising-- looks like a nice treat-- but doesn't look like the true superb waffle. Described in raves as "dense and chewy" with the sugar offering "crunchy" texture alternation. Sounds potentially interesting, but not light and flaky.

8. snowy

No, not really, because it's done in a Liege style, but in my mind, they do the ultimate waffle. I've never had a flaky waffle, and I've also never seen a recipe that would give flakiness as a result. Have you? What kind of method results in a flaky waffle?

9. Levite

Oh my dear, if I knew how it was done, I would go out and buy a waffle iron! I've only had them at a few places: once in San Francisco, once in LA, once in Milwaukee, once in some little town in Michigan, and once in Pittsburgh. They're not flaky like a croissant is flaky, they're...I dunno. Maybe flaky just isn't the right word. Not airy. Not creamy. The only thing I can think of by analogy is that they were to regular waffles what crepes or true flapjacks are to regular pancakes. Light, but not fluffy: inside the most fragile outer crispiness it's tender, almost melt-in-your mouth. Definitely not dense or chewy, but I guess I suck at trying to describe them accurately. But it's totally worth it if you ever run into it: there's nothing quite like it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I like Belgian waffles that are a little crispy on the outside. If it's firm enough, I take one of the quarters, put some nice soft butter on it, and eat it like a piece of toast.:)
    Or some whipped cream.
    In my family, (back on the farm) we often had pancakes, french toast, or waffles served with a bowl of sweetened heavy cream instead of syrup. Skimmed cream from a Jersey cow is about twice as thick as the "heavy whipping cream" you get at the store. Also usually had molasses or sorghum and some kind of preserves or compote on the table.

11. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Snowy you're bringing tears to my eyes.
    We've had that exact Waring Pro for about 15 years. It's old family at this point.
    Woke up early yesterday to make mama breakfast in bed with the kiddos.......freh waffles, fruit and bacon of course.
    Halfway through the batch of waffles our poor waffle iron went to waffle heaven.
    The rest of the batter became pancakes and the poor old waffle iron is slated for burial tomorrow......

12. snowy

Awww! It clearly served you well.

13. snowy

@noodle, while they just opened and I haven't been there yet, this place is getting rave reviews in Portland food circles, especially for their g-free options. batter

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Fun! The hubs will likely love it. Sadly, most gf options still have rice or potato flour in it so I have to plan ahead and make sure I didn't have anything else. :( I'll have to check it out when we go this summer.

15. snowy

Portland is a paradise for people with dietary restrictions.

16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

So I've heard,

17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I can't decide whether or not I like waffles.

Thank you, you're too kind. Thanks. I'll be here all week, be sure to come back and bring your friends. Don't forget to show your appreciation to the folks bringing your drinks. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

You'd make a great politician.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Do we have a thread anywhere on "dietary restrictions" and food sensitivities?

20. snowy

I don't think so.