1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

want a new camera

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by ralphie250, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

My wife wants a new camera. im not real keen on cameras, so my question is what do i get? we currently have a older digital camera that has a 2 inch display on it. pretty much the only pics we take are of family stuff. im not looking to spend too much money, but i want something thats gonna last and have quality pictures

2. How much is too much? Under $200?

3. ralphie250

under 200 would be awesome, but i would go up to 300.00. proablly no more than that

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

the $200-$300 range can get you a decent point and shoot with a workable shutter speed and all kinds of options. A slow shutter can be so damn frustrating, especially if it is your only or primary camera. My Canon Powershot is horribly slow but I do not mind in that case as it was around $105, my Rebel is my far superior "regular" camera that I use normally when I want or need RAW quality (JPG does not exist on the Rebel for me) , and the excellent macro feature on the Powershot was a deciding factor for me more than anything else. The 720p video was a bonus on top of that.

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I recently got the Olympus EPL2, it's over your price range, but the EPL1 is also a very good camera but an older model. It is a mirrorless DSLR, shutter speed is fast, and pictures are beautiful. You can find it for just over $300. You can also get other lenses for it if you desire.

6. Speed_Gibson

Both of those look very nice and something I would consider if I was looking. My current "wishlist" is focused on buying lenses for the Rebel. The three I would like to get first would be somewhere in the $1200 range for all of them at new prices.

7. cynthetiq

I was looking to buy a t3 but it was too much to be a travel kit. This has all the benefits of DSLR and none of the bulk/size. Many of my photog friends all recommended it because they hated carrying such a large kit.

8. Alistair Eurotrash

If she isn't a photography hobbyist and just wants to take some nice shots, I'd go with the Canon Ixus.

It's in your price range, takes good pictures and is small, easy to use and looks sweet.

9. Speed_Gibson

My "travel camera" is my Powershot. Not stellar by any means but it is better than any camera phone I have available or have heard of and has a good balance of features for the low price. I find it amusing it is as slow on the shutter speed as my 10 year old G2, but at least the megapixels are theoretically 4x higher at 16 MP. It is closer to 12 MP in actuality but the picture quality is good, and the video mode is always handy if you want to capture the kids playing/jumping/other active stuff that needs better than 0.7-0.9 fps.

10. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphie250

after some reasearch (not much) i think i do like the S90 model. like MSD stated. i think my wife would like it cause she can fit it in her pocket and not have to lugh it around.
    Do you think there will be another sale before christmas? its our present to each other

12. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  13. Speed_Gibson

Compact size + RAW support would be winners for me if I was looking in that price range . I also have an admitted bias toward Canon products.

14. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Ken Rockwell considers the Canon S100, S95, and S90 to be the best, 2nd best, and 3rd best pocket cameras in the world respectively. A lot of people out there agree, and for good reason.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

15. cynthetiq

Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD

Technical Details

• 10.0-megapixel sensor combined with the DIGIC 4 Image Processor creates Canon's HS System
    • Capture 720p HD video in stereo sound; play back on an HDTV via the HDMI output
    • f/2.0 lens for low light conditions or shallow depth-of-field; control ring for intuitive manual control
    • 3.8x optical zoom; 28mm wide-angle lens; Canon's Hybrid IS to compensate for angular and shift camera shake
    • Capture images to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards (not included),Made in JAPAN

16. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Like the old saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day.