1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What authors do you read?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Borla, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I read constantly. I travel a lot for work and often have time to kill in the evenings or at lunch, so I read for entertainment. I'd rather go out to dinner, even by myself, and sit at a restaurant and read over dinner and a drink or two than sit by myself in a hotel room and watch TV or read. So I have a Kindle that I carry with me everywhere, and read on it a ton.

Some of my current favorites are:

Brett Battles
    Ted Bell
    Lee Child
    Tom Clancy
    Robert Crais
    Robert Conroy
    Vince Flynn
    Steven Hunter
    Steven Pressfield
    Daniel Silva
    Brad Thor

Most of what I read falls into the suspense/espionage genre. I also like historical fiction and am a bit of a Star Wars nerd (I read the novels that come out, not quite bad enough to read graphic novels, lol).

What do you read?

2. I was an literature and journalism major in college. I read a lot of books.

If I would have taken two more women's studies classes, I would have been a triple major. Many of the women writers that were introduced to me in those classes have stuck with me since then, especially the ones I met during the class I took on African Women Writers. That was my favorite class in college. I also fell in love with Transcendentalism in college. Yes, I read a lot of classics but there are authors I read for giggles. After I graduated I read a lot of ridiculous chick lit to numb my brain. I had a second job at a library for a year and shelved the young adult section. I read a lot of those books and still love them. I will save them if I ever squeeze out a chid so that he or she can enjoy them. I'm always looking for new writers.

Jeanette Winterson
    Mary Shelley
    Virginia Woolf
    Toni Morrison
    Lauretta Ngcoba
    Yvonne Vera
    Henry David Thoreau
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Sarah Vowell
    Janet Evanovich
    Sophie Kinsella
    Kathy Reichs
    Louise Rennison
    Lemony Snicket

I haven't been reading like I used to. I think not being able to read for months because I was having some vision problems (wore an eyepatch...arrrrr) affected me somehow. I'm trying to get my mojo back.

3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't read much for pleasure since school started, but my favorite authors are:

Alice Munro
    Henry James
    Vladimir Nabokov
    Dorothy Allison
    Katherine Dunn
    David Sedaris
    Barbara Kingsolver
    Arundhati Roy
    Mark Twain
    John Steinbeck
    F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Michael Chabon

some of them anyway...

and I enjoy well-written books about pathogenic microorganisms

4. Borla

As a kid I was always fairly advanced in reading. I had a 4th grade teacher that turned me on to Mark Twain, she had leather bound versions of several of his more well known works. I read the Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer books and a few others that year. At the end of the year she gifted me her leather bound copy of Huckleberry Finn, I still have it. :)

5. Cernunnos

Cernunnos Vertical

Here are some favorites, current and past. I admire these authors for their writing style and ideas.

Alan Watts
    Aristotle
    Bertrand Russell
    Carl Sagan
    Dan Simmons
    George RR Martin
    Neil Gaiman
    Vladimir Nabokov

6. Imbecile

Imbecile New Member

There are certain writers whom I will read regardless of what they publish because I enjoy their style. Then, there are books I've really enjoyed but can't stomach everything by that writer. Here are some of the writers I will read regardless:

Herman Hesse
    Ray Bradbury
    Cormac McCarthy
    Philip Roth
    Anais Nin
    Henry Miller
    Charles Bukowski
    David Mitchell
    Albert Camus
    I just realized that this list can continue on and on, so I'll stop it here.

7. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

Ted Bell
    David Baldacci
    Michael Connelly
    Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
    Steve Berry

A whole bunch of others that I can't even remember.

8. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I read Tom Clancy every once in a while, but I'm really into Lee Child's work at the moment.
    Too bad Tom Cruise has been selected to play as Reacher in the upcoming movie, "One Shot".

I also just bought the second in a trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss entitled, "The Wise Man's Fear".

9. Borla

I've read all of Lee Child's books, I love them (though slightly predictable at times).

Are you serious about Cruise? That's truly horrible. Not even close to Reacher.

10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I know, right? Reacher's 6'5" around 250 lbs. of solid muscle, Cruise is 5'7" and about 180 soaking wet.

The messed up thing about it is, Lee child is okay with it.
    http://www.leechild.com/faqcontact.php#movies
    Cruise just doesn't bring that type of presence.

11. Borla

Ugh. Highly disappointed, coming from a huge Reacher fan. :(

I don't know who fits exactly off the top of my head (Dwayne Johnson?), but it's absolutely not Cruise.

12. jewels

jewels New Member

I, too, was classically trained in both Brit and American Lit. Too many favorites to choose. However, my brain tends to wander aimlessly when given anything that requires much thought. These days, I seem to work best with a suspense and a good mystery.

My favorites these days: Minette Walters, William Goldman, Dan Greenburg (I know, I know. Re-reading isn't a crime yet.) I can still do a little D.H. Lawrence, Chekhov or Lardner here and there, but mostly authors such as William Bayer and Lisa Scottoline.

Oh, and thanks for the sci-fi reminder, I recently re-read the Foundation trilogy. Aasimov! It's beyond a trilogy now, isn't it? :oops:

13. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

Carl Hiaasen Laugh out loud crime fiction set in South Florida. My favorite? "Native Tongue"

14. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

For years, I soaked up science fiction and developed a special liking for Piers Anthony. His 'Bio of a Space Tyrant' and 'Incarnations of Immortality' series have had a significant effect on my mental and emotional development.

Recently, I have been creating audio books, and have been getting blown away by the Brontes, Jane Austen and George Eliot. It is only recently I have realised that my best way of reading is to do so aloud and act out the parts. It turns what used to be a school imposition into a first person action-plunge.

15. BunnyRaddit

BunnyRaddit New Member

Bukowski is the love of my life. I would cut off my left arm to have been his woman.

16. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I've been a Reacher fan ever since the first book came out (Killing Floor ??) Anyway, this particular series is my guilty pleasure and I zoom through them every so often. As for Tom Cruise?? Really. Oneof the main characteristics of Jack Reacher is his size & height. There's lots of other potentials: Hugh Jackman, Matt Damon (they both would have to bulk up) but I think Liam Neeson, Ron Perlman or Gerald Butler would fit the bill nicely - much more so than Cruise.

17. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

Stephen King - read every book except the Dark Tower series... Saved them for last. That dude needs to stop writing so I can catch up ;)

18. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

Ann Rice
    R. A. Salvatore
    Terry Goodkind (great stories, horrible writer)
    Stephen King
    Frank Herbert
    Brian Herbert

19. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Hawthorne, Thoreau, Palahniuk, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, Tom Moore, Jack London, the dummy who writes books for dummies

20. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

One author I love is Alan Campbell, he's written four books but has since stopped.... really decent guy, I e-mailed him asking if he's writing anymore books and we talk once a month for the past three years....