1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What comicbooks are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Snoogans, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Snoogans

Snoogans Getting Tilted

What are you reading right now, or what have you recently finished?

What current titles do you recommend, or do you have an old favorite to share?

What sucks, and what are you looking forward to?

I'm currently reading:

Hellboy - Nazi-mystics summon the beast of the apocalypse, but pancaces steals him over to the good guys! This is the book that got me really into comics 11-12 years ago. Consistently great since the start, both in writing and art. Except for the occational one-shot, it's pretty much one huuuge storyarc and it just gets better and better. If you're gonna read one story, let it be this one.

Baltimore - Also created by Mike Mignola(Hellboy) "After a devastating plague ends World War I, Europe is suddenly flooded with vampires. Lord Henry Baltimore, a soldier determined to wipe out the monsters, fights his way through bloody battlefields, ruined plague ships, exploding zeppelins, and submarine graveyards on the hunt for the creature who's become his obsession."
    One of my favorites! If you like your vampires evil, ugly and ruthless, this is for you. Ultimate badass Lord Baltimore whoops ass across europe, monsters around every corner. And when you think his quest is over, shit knocks inte next gear!

Klaus - The originstory of Santa Clause. A badass, facepunching, magic-mushroom-eating, wolf-friendly Santa.
    Yeah.. But it's really good! Top noch art, and the story is suprisingly good!

Hawkeye - Just got the last two issues of the Fraction/Aja run, but haven't had time to read them yet. I've never been a Hawkguy fan, but this is really great. It's about what Hawkeye does when he's not Avenging; and what he does is get into trouble. I love the writning, it's funny, and the art is spectacular.

Recently finished:

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol.1 - Cute and funny! Squirrel girl is a far bigger badass than you might think(she's beaten both DOOM and Thanos, just to name a couple..)
    I liked this alot! Fun writing, and I like the cartoony style of it.

Fight Club 2 - I don't really know how I feel about this one.. The covers are stellar, and interior art is great. I think I need to read it all in one or two sittings to really get it. It feels like Palahniuk is frustrated with the people that loved the movie, and Mr. Durden.

Nameless - I like Grant Morrison, I like Chris Burnham alot. I think I need to read this a couple of times more before I can claim to understand most of it, but if you like horror this is it. "An astronomer kills his family, then himself, leaving a cryptic warning. A Veiled Lady hunts her victims through human nightmares. An occult hustler known only as 'Nameless' is recruited by a consortium of billionaire futurists for a desperate mission. And the malevolent asteroid Xibalba spins closer on a collision course with Earth. But nothing is what it seems-a terrifying inhuman experiment is about to begin. Abandon all hope and experience ultimate horror in NAMELESS."

Sex Criminals Vol1 - A comicbook sex-comedy! A boy and a girl meet, and realizes that they happen to share the same gift: when they orgasm, time stops. Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky brings the fun, and I'm eager to continue reading it!

The rise of Aurora West and
    The Fall of the House of West - The continuation of Paul Pope's "Battling Boy"(wich was aaaaweome! Get it!) I loved Battling Boy a whole lot. I loved the story and salivate at the mere thought of Pope's art. These books are illustrated by David Rubin. It crushed me for a second that Pope himself wasn't doing it, but a few pages in I was totally OK with it, and it just got better.
    These books are great!! They're prequels to Battling Boy, the second book ending right where BB starts. We get to follow monster-fighting "superhero" Haggard Wests daughter being brought up to continue the family business while secretely trying to solve the mystery of her own mothers death.
    It is.. so good.

And I just started:

Moon Knight - I've never read MK before, and I think I'll byt the recent trades to get the character, I feel like I'm missing out a bit. But I'll continue buying this one. I dig the writing and art alot, the coloring is delicious!

House of Penance - A story set around the Winchester House(google it!). Just read the first issue, and I'm in! It's haunting, both in story and art. Ian Bertrams images are intense and disturbing. A blend of horror, history and fiction. I can't wait for issue 2!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I jumped from children's books almost straight into young adult and adult books, gave comic books a miss, other than reading a very few Tales From The Crypt and similar comic books that belonged to one of my cousins.

Note--That cousin loved the horror comic books way too much, disturbingly so. In his case this was a major warning sign; he has had psychological issues as a child, a teenager, and an adult. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he is one those people who go deep into the internet to find the seriously heavy--blood and injury--BDSM. The CBs didn't cause his problems, but did help feed them. An argument could be made that they gave him an outlet for his rage.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Do manga count?

Right now I'm reading two longer series, the shoujo Hajimemashite Kamisama (the English version of the title is Kamisama Kiss, but that is not an accurate translation of hajimemashite), and the shounen Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

The first is about a teenage girl who gets the powers and duties of a land god (kami) given to her through a kiss. Hijinks with a kitsune (fox spirit) familiar ensue.

The second is about a teenage girl who gets roped into assisting with a shoujo manga after her confession to the guy she likes goes wrong, as it turns out her classmate is a mangaka. It's hilarious, as the teenage boy mangaka bases all of his characters on his classmates, and some of them are gender bent.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I recently read the first volume of the Preacher omnibuses, Gone to Hell. It's kind of messed up. I think I'll continue the series.

This is similar to my experience. I've read only a handful of comics.

5. Snoogans

Snoogans Getting Tilted

I remember getting my hands on a few TFTC/horrorcomicbooks when I was 12-ish. They were creepy as fuck, but I couldn't stop reading them. I recently got a few from my brother, but I decided to safely hide them until my kids are big enough to stumble upon them.
    --- merged: Apr 26, 2016 at 1:51 AM ---

Of course Manga counts! Personally, I haven't read any manga comics. But if they are anything like Manga/JapAnimation movies, I really should.

Do you read them translated? Aren't they read "backwards"? Is that hard to contition yourself to?
    --- merged: Apr 26, 2016 at 1:53 AM ---

Oh man, you really should! Preacher is a goddamn masterpiece. I can't wait to see what the TV version will be like.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

found a new fav...Rat Queens :D

four fantasy females that kick ass and don't mince words (hipster dwarf warrior, hippie halfling thief, atheist human cleric, rockabilly elf wizard)
    rowdy, foul-mouthed, sexual, funny
    great banter :cool:

nice artwork

Image puts it out, NSFW (language, violence & adult situations)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Baraka_Guru

I will probably check this out eventually.

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I took out a subscription to Marvel Unlimited and have been working through a lot of comics.

I am currently going through Captain Marvel from the last 10 years, with a side order of the new Ms. Marvel. I am also making my way through all the new Star Wars comics that Marvel has been releasing. They are quite good.

The one character who I didn't know about but am now reading voraciously is X-23. Her back story is excellent. Her redemption and relationship to Wolverine is strong. I am happy that she has taken on the mantle of Wolverine now that he is dead.

9. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Charlatan, my sub to Marvel Unlimited was decadent and delicious but after a few months, I figured out that Marvel only has about 10 different stories to tell.

10. Baraka_Guru

Bro, humanity has only about ten different stories to tell. For example, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is basically The Illad, and Pee-wee's Big Holiday is basically The Odyssey.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snoogans

Snoogans Getting Tilted

I literally saw this in the window of my LCS three hours ago and thought about checking it out!

12. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Okay then. 10 different stories told in the exact same medium with the exact same characters with basically the same art style, hundreds of times. It's tiresome after a while.

13. Baraka_Guru

No doubt. This is probably why I tend to be more interested in the offerings of, say, Image. They seem more diverse.

Also, do you know about this? Scribd - Read books, audiobooks, and more

I'm not sure if it's available to Canadians, but it might be worth checking out. It has comics (Marvel and more) and sheet music!

14. Chris Noyb

Accepting the flaws--exaggerated, imagined, or real--in anything is what separates the fans from the non-fans.

15. Baraka_Guru

You mean it's what separates the fanatics from the free-thinkers. :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. snowy

It's not hard to read the panels in a different direction. I use a manga reader app, so I'm rarely aware I'm reading "backwards." Yes, I read them translated. Thanks to the Internet, they're really easy to come by these days. I buy hard copies of series I really like in order to share them with others.

17. Charlatan

The art, especially in the past 15 years, has change considerable from what was available in the 70s and 80s.

As for the stories? Debatable, but I see what you are saying.

18. snowy

We could say that about 60% of fiction, if not more.

19. Charlatan

PeeWee's Big Adventure is a riff of Vittorio De Sica's The Bicycle Thief

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

"Nobody hipped me, dude."