1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use Internet Explorer for?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ZombieSquirrel, Mar 27, 2015.

1. There are some people who still use it. I do, because I have to. Although I am a Chrome user, formerly a Firefox user, a program I use for work seems to only work with IE, so I'm stuck with it.

However. Microsoft will be phasing it out: Microsoft Is Phasing Out Internet Explorer : The Two-Way : NPR

It's not totally going away:
    Do you use it on a daily basis or only to download other systems?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

To download Firefox or Chrome on a new machine.

To update Windows. (Or at least I used to. Doesn't it update through other means now?)

• Like Like x 1
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

To order pizza because for some reason the site for the pizza place I like doesn't even work IE tab for Chrome.

4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Only used at work, where it is the established browser for the application we support.

But even at work, I mostly use Firefox (Chrome & Opera are not allowed)
    At home, it's Opera...and never IE (Chrome or FF otherwise)

6. Would any of you use the new Spartan? Maybe for a little while to check it out?

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I would just because of the name, but it's not the official name, so prolly not.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

As a Mac user, I've never done anything with either Internet Explorer or Windows, other than listen to people complain about them.
    I use both Firefox and Safari. I've played a little with Chrome and Opera, but not using either currently.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Absolutely nothing. If a site makes me use Explorer it had better be pretty damn important and even then will still piss me off for having to hunt for that program on my hard drive.
    I use Firefox and Opera for everything.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

my application that I'm the stakeholder for at work. We've been trying to migrate it to another platform and it's been 5 years now with maybe a light at the end of the tunnel in October.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Our work stations are tethered to a server that runs IE, or else I would never use it. I have a stand-alone PC for some tasks and I use Crome on it. At home, I use Chrome and QW uses Firefox...keeps us out of each other's "business."

12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I only use it when a website I need to use for work or school purposes is incompatible with every other browser option at my disposal.

13. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

My employer used to require IE, and prohibit all other browsers.

Then Google Drive (or perhaps some other Google function) stopped working for the approved version of IE, which made it possible for me to demand other options.

Still, IE comes up automatically every time I turn on a workplace computer, and the document handling software (for approving contracts) works only through IE.

So I use IE and Chrome at work, Firefox and Chrome at home.

14. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Nothing nothing nothing.

Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

15. EOD

EOD New Member

I only use IE at work, as it is the only authorized browser. I haven't heard yet what the future browser will be when IE is phased out, but I get the feeling it will be Spartan as everyone who makes the decisions on what will be used has a very limited education on computers. I'm going to hope for the best but plan for the worst. When it comes to personal browsing I've used FF for years now and I've had no issues with it.