1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What food is a must for someone visiting the U S of A?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by ZombieSquirrel, Jul 10, 2015.

1. I agreed to host a woman from Japan for two weeks while she is in Oregon chaperoning a bunch of young exchange students. She is not related to Baby Daddy. I just heard of this program through work and wanted to help.

She is an adult, but barely since she is a mere 21. In her application information I learned that she will try anything food-wise. Since BabyDaddy is from Japan and does most of the cooking, we eat a lot of Japanese food. I am capable of cooking. I just don't like to.

So far I am thinking of the things I don't mind cooking and are very Midwestern. I make a pretty awesome lasagna and my tuna noodle casserole isn't bad either. Actually, I am good at casseroles because I like the idea of pouring a bunch of shit into a dish and baking it. I plan on making her a BIG midwestern breakfast on the weekend (bacon, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns and maybe something healthy) and possibly having a cookout and inviting friends.

We'll probably go out to eat a lot or order a pizza so she can experience that part of American cuisine, but we will cook for her.

If you are a resident of the USA, what would you cook for someone visiting the states?

If you are not from the US, but have visited, what was your favorite? What was your least favorite?

Also, what about junkfood? What are the quintessential pig out foods of the states?

I want to provide her with a wonderful and tasty experience!

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'd take her to street fair and try one of everything. Of course, I tried squid on a skewer when I was in Japan, so maybe that is payback.

I love ethnic food, I'm just not sure I see much of anything as ethnically American.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Make sure she visits a decent BBQ place and tries some brisket, ribs, and/or pulled pork. Obviously explain to her that it isn't as good as mine, but that with the restraining order and all you aren't allowed near my house.
    Fried chicken
    A really good bar cheeseburger.
    Pizza.
    A good (ribeye or porterhouse) steak, medium rare.
    Biscuits and sausage gravy.
    Also, some decent comfort food type sandwiches, like grilled cheese or PBJ.

4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Seconded on the BBQ, if it's high quality.

I've noticed, though, that Japanese and Korean people often don't care for fried chicken, since they tend to find very greasy foods excessive. But you never know.

I'd actually say Mexican food qualifies as good American cuisine, ironically. Someplace with good enchiladas or tamales.

Pancakes or French toast, definitely.

Donuts, if you have a really good donut place nearby.

Hot dogs, done up city-style (city of your choosing, I guess).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I almost included Americanized Mexican on my list.

6. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Tetrazzini, especially not made with canned cream soups.
    --- merged: Jul 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM ---
    anything past medium rare is ruining a steak.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

No trip to America is complete without a delicious Sno Ball.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Gotta do B-B-Q.
    Chicago Style Hot Dog
    Pizza, but not crap like Domino's. Good stuff.
    Fried Chicken
    Catfish
    Medium Rare New York Strip.

9. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Somewhat regional but having lived in Buffalo I have to go with:
    Wings
    Pizza
    Beef on Weck (This is regional and probably not outside western NY)

• Like Like x 1
  10. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Beef on Weck is FUCKING AWESOME! Great add, ffflowley! We have a chain here in AZ called "Native New Yorker" that does a pretty decent job of it. I'm sure you can find some in Oregon.

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Apple pie with vanilla ice cream.
    Hash and eggs.
    Waffles with real maple syrup.
    Shrimp and grits.
    Bagels with cream cheese, lox, capers and pickled onion.
    Five alarm chili (with and without beans)

12. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

+1 for apple pie, though I like mine with some sharp white cheddar cheese
    Also a big +1 for shrimp and grits, which I used to love back in my wicked youth when I didn't keep kosher.

13. Speed_Gibson

Never heard of it...off to google.....sounds good. Had my interest with "rare beef on a roll".

14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

When I used to drive through the area I liked to stop at a place called Steve's Pig and Ox Roast on Ridge Rd in Lackawanna, It was not too far down the road from the Hampton Inn where I stayed. Great Beef on Weck, great onion rings, dreadful french fries. I just learned not to order them.

America covers such a wide geographical area that there are great differences.

American food in Albany is completely different from American food in Albuquerque.

And New Mexican food is American, not Mexican.

15. omega

omega Very Tilted

Panda express.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Speed, beef on weck is thinly sliced roast beef with horseradish on a kimmelweck bun. It's a bun covered with salt. It's a mouthgasm, I'm telling you....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Speed_Gibson

Read the word "kimmelwek" and it meant nothing to me. Wikipedia just told me that translates to 'Caraway Roll' in English from the Southern German source, which also answers my first question about what the heck a 'weck' was. <Ignorant American that is only fluent in English and Sarcasm>

18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

An ice cream shop... The real kind. A good southern place (like Screen Door in PDX). Pizza, of course. Nova bagels, lobster rolls, a real burger with truffle fries.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Y'all might notice the Southern & Texan influences :):

Chicken fried steak with milk/cream gravy.
    Garlic mashed potatoes.
    BBQ.
    Authentic Mexican food. There nothing wrong with Tex-Mex as long it's done nicely with really fresh ingredients.
    Bacon & Cheddar burger.
    Onion rings (real deal, of course).

20. BabyDaddy said Twinkie, but I vetoed that. This is a MUCH better option. I almost forgot about them.