1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What part of the economy is doing fine?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

And if Obama interferes in the free market, would the GOP pounce on him for that? Where is the harm in advertising the economy is getting better and getting people to be optimistic? The stock market is back above 12,000. There are sectors of the economy doing fine, and it isn't the public sector.

Obama: 'The Private Sector Is Doing Fine' [UPDATED]

I know I'm not worried about this happening anymore. Lines at the ER, a television boom, emptying suburbs. A catastrophic economic downturn would feel nothing like the last one. - The Boston Globe

I think the economy is working fine. People had gotten used to reducing risk to nothing and always having steady growth. The Fed screwed with interest rates, people bought houses and condos with no intention of living there, we burn through billions on oil that isn't coming back... Still, a lot of people still didn't need to change or cut back much in their lives. People are driving their cars. They might not lease new cars anymore, but that was never smart anyway. I went to a party on Sunday with 120,000 people, the small company that put it on is doing fine, and helped sell lots of hotel rooms in Vegas too. The airplanes and airports seem just as crowed as ever, but they charge more for fees.

The 401k & financial advisers get more business if they claim you will get a 'standard' 7% return. There won't be any problems or crashes. Do people expect too much out of the economy, and that it should be really easy to make money?
    Crisis Cost Americans 39% of Median Net Worth - Businessweek
    How likely will another event like the 2007-2008 crash happening again in the next 40 years be? How about the devaluation of the dollar?

2. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I'm blue collar. I don't really care too much about the stock market. Don't care at all about Vegas, airlines or leasing cars. I care about the fact that my house lost $75k or more of its value in the last 4 years, meaning we now have NO equity to fall back on while our kids go to college and the porch falls apart. I care about the fact that I will probably never find a decent job again. Even "decent" is subjective-I made more per hour in 1991 than I did in the job I lost 6 months ago.

How you think the economy is working fine is beyond my comprehension. Retail is way way down, one of the reasons I'm now out of work. People did not or can not pay for extras like portraits or art for their homes. Some clients who had been rather well off were watching pennies to the point of not doing their annual portraits/Christmas cards, etc. Steady growth?? Where? The only steady growth I see is when I look out onto my backyard. People still drive their cars because they have to get around somehow. But I'm willing to bet most drive and do all their errands in one single span of time and as close to home as possible. Just seeing a lot of cars doesn't mean anything.

I am the "private sector" and I'm doing pretty shitty, quite frankly. I can't afford life insurance. We have to get PLUS loans each semester and have no way of paying that back right now. Our health insurance takes a full 1/5 of the spouse's pay and we still have medical bills that for whatever dumbass reason, the carrier refuses to pay.
    The "Great Depression" happened for entirely different reasons than our current situation in that people were trading stock without the cash backup and when they tried to cash in, it all came crashing down. There was no FDIC, no guarantors, no insurance, so poverty quickly came to be. It was a great equalizer. That is not the case now. Those of us who have had to struggle paycheck to paycheck, then watch our jobs go buh-bye do not benefit from the same cushions as richer people. No, it wouldn't feel like the "last one" because some who have fared pretty well won't feel a thing. And I don't see it getting any better in what is left of my lifetime.

• Like Like x 2
  3. [Edited, off-topic.]

I, for one, think the economy is doing just fine. (Tip of the hat to Obama, WTF are you backpedaling?)

For over a year, prior to this last month's job report, we were adding jobs to the economy, and making ground on unemployment, down in the 8% range (not 12 to 15 %).
    Due to an adjustment to the prior period, and only 69K jobs this last period, we lost 0.1 % Let me re-phrase that...
    Only "gaining" 69K jobs, we lost 0.1 / 100 ground in the jobs market.
    While it sucks to add jobs, and have the unemployment rate go up...
    Adding jobs is better than losing them, no?
    So, for more than a year, we've consistently been adding jobs, irrespective of 1 month's loss of 0.1 / 100.

Feeling entitled to 1/69K jobs, and, among those 69K jobs added, one that pays better than 1991...
    Damn... I've done hard labor in a furniture factory, and I'd go right back to it before the retail stores that furniture ends back up on.

Not to be obtuse or anything... just my $0.02

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Key segments of the private sector have been adding jobs for the last two plus years at a slow but steady rate....retail trade,manufacturing, health services, professional/business services, leisure/hospitality... The only segment, other than public employment, really down is construction.

I know that doesnt help if you cant find a job, but slow steady growth, in part as a result of the stimulus, sure beats having the economy fall over the cliff as was a real possibility.

5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

The part where incredibly rich people make money at everyone else's expense. That seems to be in excellent working order. The part where the rest of us find decently-paying jobs in the areas in which we are qualified, and don't get swamped by living expenses, health care costs, and crushing student loan, however, seems to be in need of a lot of fixing up.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Real possibility? It WAS falling off a cliff as Obama walked in the Oval Office door.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The macroeconomy is doing just fine.
    It's the microeconomy that is having a less than great moment.

That whole "trickle-down" theory is bogus.

The US economy as a whole is doing actually quite well, especially in comparison to near previous years and Europe or Global.
    Our fundamentals are trending up for the most part, and energy is going thru a resurgence.

But this doesn't translate to the bread & butter local economy. The states governments are still pulling back funding.
    Our infrastructure needs a rehaul. Congress is stagnant. And companies are still holding back on hiring & investment.

So while the Fat Cats & Mega-corps get their profits.
    This does not happen for the street-level...who are just dealing with the day after day.

Until companies release the trickle to a decent flow...and our politicians stop being cowardly and miser-ly.
    We are not going to feel the pleasure of some growth for people.

The crisis is over, growth for the US is happening...but we have the sensation of being worn down after a big tear-up battle/war.
    A bit of Post Tramatic Stress Syndrom...just on a financial basis.

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

The Senate passed a two-year $100 billion transportation/infrastructure bill with bi-partisan support earlier this year. By most estimates, it would create more than 1 million private sector jobs to repair the crumbling infrastructure. The Republican House refuses to act on it.

There is a trickle down effect, but not from tax cuts for the wealthiest. But from newly hired workers spending in the local economy.

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Wealth trickles up, not down.

Well, it flows, actually.

What? Do people think wealth falls from the fucking cosmos?

Everyone in the economy will be doing better once the wealth generation of the top 10% gears up again in fine form.

Other than that, many of them are doing okay. Stocks are generally up despite volatility and uncertainty. Manufacturing exports are solid thanks to a suppressed dollar. Inflation has been kept in check despite the dollar. Retail sales are back above the 2008 peak and have been for over a year.

Some have been calling this a jobless recovery. It's somewhat true. But a recovery is a recovery I guess.

10. redux

redux Very Tilted

From Bruce Bartlett, senior economic adviser in both the Reagan and GHW Bush administrations:
    The Romney fix?

More tax cuts for the wealthy, more defense spending and only cutting federal spending that adversely impacts the middle class and working poor (the result of which takes money out of local economies). Evidently, he is also ignorant of the fact that the federal govt. provides $billions/yr to local govts to hire teachers, cops, fire fighters.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This helps explain how the right inaccurately portrays Obama as fiscally disastrous. As president, Obama's spending increases are much smaller than previous presidents (especially GOP presidents). The right will pull out their hair and state how Obama's deficits are unprecedented. Well, this is true, but deficits aren't caused merely by spending increases. They're also caused by revenue decreases. (And let's not forget that this recession is also unprecedented.)

Thanks to such actions as extending and issuing tax cuts, in addition to an already down economy with high employment, not to mention a failure to close obvious loopholes, Obama's presidency has seen a drop in revenue. Under Bush, revenues hit an all-time high but dropped 18% in 2009 due to the recession. They are currently sitting at 13% below the peak.

If Obama has been disastrous, it's because he hasn't been adamant enough about garnering revenue increases to help make up for the deficit.

As Krugman points out, the Republican economy has failed:

What should be done about the economy? Republicans claim to have the answer: slash spending and cut taxes. What they hope voters won’t notice is that that’s precisely the policy we’ve been following the past couple of years. Never mind the Democrat in the White House; for all practical purposes, this is already the economic policy of Republican dreams.​

So the Republican electoral strategy is, in effect, a gigantic con game: it depends on convincing voters that the bad economy is the result of big-spending policies that President Obama hasn’t followed (in large part because the G.O.P. wouldn’t let him), and that our woes can be cured by pursuing more of the same policies that have already failed.​

For some reason, however, neither the press nor Mr. Obama’s political team has done a very good job of exposing the con.​

What do I mean by saying that this is already a Republican economy? Look first at total government spending — federal, state and local. Adjusted for population growth and inflation, such spending has recently been falling at a rate not seen since the demobilization that followed the Korean War.​

12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yes, yes, and yes.

There are problems with our economy. Big problems. Everyone needs to be aware of them, and talk fluently about them. People who are stuck between a rock and a hard spot need to speak up and share their stories, so those who are in a position to do something about them will step up to the plate.

It is criminal that a lifetime of debt is accrued by young adults who attend a university, and they are left high and dry in this economy without a job when they have finished.

13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I don't know about it not getting better. Yes, there are fundamental issues that should be addressed (student debt among them), but in some parts of the country, things are getting better. My county is already out of the reccession, and has been for about a year. So, things are improving-just maybe not in your neck of the woods.

14. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Things are improving a bit in my neck of the woods as well - job opportunities are opening up, the county has been able to scale back some of its proposed cuts to education, and overall, people seem to be complaining less (might be due to the fact that they've just gotten tired of complaining).

I don't regard this as light at the end of the tunnel however. I don't see the middle class we all remember with fondness, ever attaining its former glory. I think we have to acknowledge that our making do with less the past couple of years is not going to be a temporary thing. I don't see wages rising significantly. I don't see manufacturing returning as a staple of US employment. We are being homogenized and equalized on the global workforce playing field. Once all things being equal are equal, we will no longer be a manufacturing pariah. Some of those manufacturing jobs will come back but the wages offered will be no different than the wages seen by a Chinese or Indonesian worker. This appears to be the long term plan and goal of its creators.

Abolishing unions, shrinking the influence of the federal government on the economy and lowering wages and benefits to a level which can compete globally - all of these further the goals of a truly global economy. With all other aspects equalized, individual countries attract business and barter for it within the global pool, through the offering of tax and trade incentives, subsidies and worker skill level. (compensation for skill based on global standards rather than national ones)

I see the wealth gap increasing in disparity the closer we get to this equalization and beyond. The course has been set, the pieces are in motion, and there doesn't appear to be any significant will to reverse this course. Its stamp of approval and eagerness to facilitate, apparent here in the US in the Citizen's United decision.

Pessimistic? Stuff of conspiracy theorists? Maybe. But all signs indicate that this is the path leading to our future. Unless the plan collapses in on itself (which it appears to be showing some signs of doing - but may in fact be just the early growing pains of a shift in economic and social course) or workers worldwide revolt against a global, upper and lower class system of capitalist rule.

15. I <3 Krugman.

----------

Things to keep in mind about "history"... Obama is shouldered with economic issues handed down from Bush-baby. While many of Bush-baby's flounderings under the thumb of the power behind his throne were of his own accord, some were handed-down to him from Clinton (e.g. tax code sledghammer).

I like the analysis that Obama's increased spending less, but also brought-in less revenue (and should have done more). That's a fair critique (and one I partially wasn't aware of).

16. Joniemack

I think the passing down (on) of this new economic way of thinking and operating began with the Reagan and Thatcher administrations. Obama has joined too late in the game to change a thing. The best he can do is profess his desire that things could be different and blame his ineffectiveness on political adversaries intent on throwing a wrench into all his good intentions. A true thing, that, but I often question if he would be anymore effective with a Congress on his side. I can envision high-profile but virtually meaningless legislation could be enacted, but no real reversals of fortunes.

I've come to regard his Presidency no differently than I have regarded the last 4 presidencies. IMO, there's an invasive agenda operating at full speed ahead which can be only slightly influenced by a single President, Prime Minister, Congress, or House of Parliament. The outcome of this grand and omnipotent agenda appears to be a fait accompli.

One could hope that a 2nd Obama Presidency would reveal some true strength and independence which has lain dormant in the man. Sadly, I suspect his second term will not be a marked change from the first. I believe he's certainly intelligent and capable enough to make decisions in the best interest of the US and its citizens but in the grand scheme of things, he's as much a eunuch and pawn of the grand agenda as the rest of them have been (and will continue to be).

No matter which version of the story you read or how many remakes of the movie you watch, the Titanic always ends up crashing into the iceberg. So it would appear with the course we're on.

17. The true "counter-theory" to my observations about history is that history doesn't matter. While much of politics (e.g. Democracy started by the Roman Empire) is based on history, it is not based on ancient history, but development over time. In today's day and age of pragmatism and information inundation, fact is that what matters is there here, now, and relatively recent past.

Ultimatly, if you take that tact... all economic woes, under the responsibility of the current president, are the current president's problem, nothing to do w/ his predecesors.

So, let's take a political shift factor into account...
    WHAT IF the incumbent doesn't win? What if Romney ends-up being our next President, and Obama drinks himself into a stupor in Kenya? Romney's responsible. Obama's getting blitzed in Africa.

Except, there's no "power" behind the throne in this instance...
    I don't hear CRAP about Joe Biden...
    I hear all too much about Obama.
    I heard too much parrot-speak from Bush-baby, as I do spelling-mistakes from Romney.
    And way too g'damn much about and from Cheney (long-standing Bush-family puppeteer & sociopath opportunist).

Happens to EVERYONE who enters politics on a supported soapbox... the stilts just aren't there when the big boys kick them out from under you.

I'd concur, see just above.

This is an excellent (though cynical, but not too) modern political philosophy... mind if I adopt it?

18. Joniemack

The band plays on with a new conductor.

The only difference between Romney in front of the cameras on the Front Lawn vs Obama will be the lack of apologies or flimsy justifications for failure to act in accordance with his promises.

Be my guest. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I got a whole separate rant on that all it's own...
    I'll wait & refine such opinions before voicing her.

20. Joniemack

I think we can count on Romney to be a good little capitalist soldier without having to worry about the castrated left making any trouble.

If I were a betting gal, I'd put my money on Romney right now. The right man at the right time. The consummate corporate yes-man who will pave the way through the last rocky bits of economic chaos into the wonderful world of global capitalist corporatism held in check and power by their fascist government cohorts who will still laughingly insist they oversee democracies.

Are we there yet?

Geez, I'm starting to scare myself.

/Inject sanity and reason here.