1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What video games are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Ice|Burn, Aug 2, 2011.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I recently discovered that buying Popcap Games means you have a license you can use up to five times per game. I dug through the junk email inbox and found my registration code for Plants vs Zombies, and have been happily replaying all evening. w00t.

2. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

dayz just came out with a standalone on steam that i bought. there is so much potential. i quit awhile ago because the bugs and hackers got too annoying. but i agree this is the future (dayz is still alpha but very playable, kinda of a tough learning curve). the world just feels so open and you can create your own gaming experience to some extent, and aren't forced to grind abilities like on mmos.

player editing is essential to great games imo. i still remember half-life being an editable game that spawned counter-strike and then more refined corporate games like cod and battlefield. looking forward to what the arma 3 community can do.

3. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

Ive been playing Marvel Heroes, Rift, and Neverwinter lately.

4. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

i was just reading reviews on that; they're all solid so far even though it's an alpha w/ warts.

i've up a bit past 600 hrs played now on dota2 and i feel like i'm finally on the low end of mediocre against medium bots, but i love how it's been stretching my brain. i feel like dota is making me better at other games (even shooters) because of my spatial awareness and options/angles outlook has gone up.

also mixing in some far cry 3 which is the tits for a sandbox game; best mix of stealth and shooting mechanics i've seen.
    --- merged: Dec 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM ---
    also, people are liking the just cause 2 multiplayer mod just released; i might fire that up on my xmas break...

Ridiculous things that happened in the Just Cause 2 mulitplayer mod today | PC Gamer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  5. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

The new X3 game is awful, but it got me playing X3:AP again using the XRM mod and a few dozen others.

Its quite fun fully modded and really the only sandbox space game out there to speak of.

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I recently discovered Path of Exile, which is sort of a fan-made "What Diablo 3 COULD have been like" game. It takes a... unique... approach to character building.
    This is a slightly out of date look at the passive skill tree:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I've been watching a guy named xcal on Twitch play PoE.
    I about crapped my pants when he zoomed out on the skill page all the way. Holy massive matrix, Batman!

PoE has been fun to watch, especially since the loot drops are better than D3's.

8. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

The Steam winter sale has started as of today.

I'm eyeing Monaco. On the one hand, it seems like a game that should be played multiplayer for best results. On the other hand, $3.

/this is why I have 200 Steam games I never play

Oh, and if you still haven't played Bioshock Infinite and you have a PC that can run it, you should definitely pick it up at $10. It's a bit different from the first Bioshock. For one the action is faster, and more frantic, and apart from that it's more character driven. There's a lot more interaction and a lot less creeping down dark hallways.

The ending will confuse the hell out of you. You've been warned.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I didn't get to play it but watched E play it (which kind of ruined it). It was a bit of a mindfuck. I enjoyed watching the story unfold, though.

10. S.M.Paradox

S.M.Paradox New Member

I play a lot of Uncharted Waters Online. I also play Terraria, Civ5, and Skullgirls on a pretty regular basis, and a couple zombie co-op FPSs when I have friends. (If anyone wants to add me on Steam, electric_katana. ^.^)

I also love platformers. Anyone has any recommendations, I'll take them.

Haven't played any of the Bioshocks, and I haven't played Monaco, although I have been looking at that one, too.

11. TheSurgeOn

TheSurgeOn Getting Tilted

What PC games are you currently playing? | Page 27 | The TFP

Maybe I could have used a bigger font? Jus' kiddin' Samcol:) Message me if you want to team up in Cherno!

DayZ is beautifully glitchy at the moment but still fun. I had a Mosen with sights etc etc until my bandage didn't work... not a problem though as its only alpha.

Here's Devildoggamer having a run, not my style, but entertaining maybe?...

This is the 'Seinfeld of Games', you heard it here first, it's a game about nothing, where anything can happen.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  12. highjinx

i'm hearing spelunky hd and rogue legacy are 2 of the best platformers ever made; also super meat boy in case you haven't heard about that; i played that for awhile w/ a dual shock 3 on my pc and loved the physics.

13. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

If you like platformers, you're looking at indie games. Luckily for you, I fancy myself something of an indie game enthusiast.

Note: platform games are best experiences with a gamepad. Some play better or worse with a keyboard but for the full experience I've found universally that a gamepad is always the best option. My weapon of choice is a wired XBox 360 controller. It's a USB gamepad and will work on Windows without any third party drivers. It sets you back about $20.

Super Meatboy is insane, and is one of the games that I would say really rebooted the platforming genre. It's worth having in your collection if only to see what all the fuss is about. It's not for everyone -- there's a lot of fiddly jump timing, but it's one button to start over so runs tend to go quickly. You'll spend a lot of time perfecting small details.

Dustforce takes the same idea and carries it a little further. It gives you the goal of cleaning up as much of the level as you can as fast as you can. At the end you get graded for completeness and finesse, and your time gets posted on a leaderboard. Watching the people who do SS runs of the hardest levels in record times can be pretty impressive, but like Meatboy it's a lot of fiddling around so it's not going to be every player's cup of tea.

Braid is a little slower if you want something that's less twitch and more thinking. It's a bit like Super Mario with puzzles and time travel. There's also a sort of meta-narrative behind the whole thing that takes some work to uncover but is very rewarding. I won't say any more than that so as not to spoil it.

Rochard and Vessel are another couple of puzzle-type ones. I haven't actually gotten around to finishing Vessel yet but what I played of it was quite good. Rochard is an action platformer about a space trucker who controls gravity, and it's every bit as great as that description makes it sound.

Limbo is fantastic, but very dark. You play a boy searching for his sister in a dark sinister world. The many ways to die can be a bit unsettling at times, but it's very beautiful in it's own way, and is an absolute clinic in how to make puzzles interesting and challenging without making them too hard to manage.

And finally I'd say a must-have for platform lovers is Fez. Phil Fish as a developer has caused a lot of drama over the years, and say what you will about him, but he did manage to build a brilliant little game. The premise is pretty simple -- an average 2d boy wakes up one day and discovers that there's a third dimension. And it just goes from there. Definitely worth exploring, and explore is what you will do. Conveniently, it's on sale right now.

EDIT: And just to be clear that's not even close to all of the good indie platformers available. It's a reasonable cross-section to start with though. I got more if you want them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  14. highjinx

15. S.M.Paradox

S.M.Paradox New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah, wired Xbox controller is my favorite as well. I hate using my keyboard to game, so I use a controller whenever possible, haha.

I've recently started playing Super Meat Boy (I actually got it to see what all the fuss what about ^.^), and it's definitely fantastic. For sure, lots of finicky jump timing, but well worth it. And Fez, I coincidentally just got that last night. Only half hour into it, and I love it. It's definitely unique in its concept.

I bought Limbo a while ago, but never got around to playing it. I'll probably push it up my holiday gaming list. I love dark games, and unsettling ways to die sounds right up my alley. And I've heard so many fantastic things about Braid. I'm gonna have to try that one, and Spelunky and Rogue Legacy, too.

I've been playing Electronic Super Joy, and that one's got me hooked pretty well. I'm a massive sucker for soundtracks in video games (ask me how the only reason I started playing COD was when I found out Hans Zimmer scored MW2...), and that plus the ridiculous difficulty of some of the levels equals absolute addiction for me. It's a lot like Super Meat Boy in the jump timing aspect--some of the levels require an insane amount of precision (I died about 100 times on a single level trying to beat it the first time), but there are checkpoints, if you can reach them.

Also, I grabbed Monaco, as soon as I have some time to try it, I'll report back.

16. Arachnid

Arachnid New Member

stuck with Diablo2 , AOE2, prototype rad alert - yuris revenge

• Like Like x 1
  17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I've been on an Age of Empires 2 kick. I was trying to distract myself yesterday, and I think I played something like six hours of standard battles. I am now Champion of the Celts. w00t.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Kickin' it old school. I like it.

19. fresnelly

fresnelly Getting Tilted

I bought Bioshock 1 and 2 for myself this Christmas, based mostly on their enduring reputations and intriguing visuals. This is the first real game I've played since Quake back in the late 90's.

I'm a little disappointed that it's mostly a Zombie blaster but the setting is phenomenal. Are there any other games out with really interesting environments to explore but less focused on horror and gore thrills? Does GTAV allow you to just roam around and do stuff or are you stuck killing hookers and driving over pedestrians?

20. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I haven't played it myself yet, but some of the biggest criticism from friends that have is that it's a really big environment with a while lot of not much to do.

It might fall into the horror genre, but have you considered Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? They have a whole lot of areas to explore and things to find if that's what you're into, to the point where I'd eventually remember that there was a main storyline and I should go finish it at some point.

• Like Like x 1