1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What Treasure Did You Unearth Today?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by MeltedMetalGlob, Nov 11, 2018.

1. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

This thread is open to interpretation, but essentially if you ran across something that reminded you of the past, feel free to mention it here. It can be a person you knew way back when, a song from wilder days, an object you stumbled across while cleaning the attic, etc.

First up!

My daughter was asking me about "big hair", and since I grew up in that era, I simply dug out my high school yearbooks, blew the dust off them and voila!

My 1990 yearbook even devoted a large pic to two of the queens of that outlandish 'do:
    (identities protected)
    [​IMG]

I swear, what did that add, another 3-4 inches to their height??? :eek:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Very nice!
    Class of 88 here.

• Like Like x 2
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What a fun topic!

I recently heard that the only thing that survived my cousin's house getting burned down in a wildfire was a rock that our grandmother had painted for her as a housewarming gift.

The same grandmother who survived 3rd degree burns over 80% of her body during a plane crash.

Grandma - and everything she touched - was fireproof.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MeltedMetalGlob

Found another gem- a song I haven't heard in decades:

I remember this coming out around 1992, I think. It got radio play for many months. And shortly after, NEVER AGAIN on the radio. Seriously, what gives? It's not a bad song at all, why do we have to hear "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" for the 1,000,000th time???

Anyway, I was in a grocery store when I heard it playing over the loudspeakers. I couldn't believe it! Had to go home and add this one to my mp3 collection. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MeltedMetalGlob

(yeah, a loser thread, but I'm stubbornly sticking to it!)

My mother just gave me a vase she no longer wants around the house, and admittedly as a child I always admired it. Now it's mine. :)
    (and she didn't have to die for me to receive it, which is the best part.)

[​IMG]

It was originally my grandmother's, so this vase might be 60-70 years old, or more. I haven't seen it in decades.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  6. GhoastGirl2.0

GhoastGirl2.0 Getting Tilted

[​IMG]

The treasure is the cabinet (yea it’s green inside and white on the outside). I got it from my parents. Hubs really hates having to move it...but hey that’s what removals are for these days. It holds all my scrapbooking/artsy fartsy stuff and allows me somewhere to keep it all organized and safely away from the kids.

• Like Like x 4
  7. kramus

kramus what I might see

F7196A5A-D819-4DA9-A235-B9879433C572.jpeg I’m doing post-renovation excavation. Here’s an unboxed brass turtle bookend. It’s Korean, brought back by my aunt after her stint as a volunteer nurse there in 1954.
    I never heard her talk about it, but I once saw a series of photos of her with different children, so I guess she helped out with post-war trauma after the Korean War. I do know that after she returned, she spent a few years at Bethesda in the USA, and even had a small pension from the military (a rarity for a single Canadian woman.
    I have no idea of what the writing on the turtles says, but it’s a sweet old thing :)

• Like Like x 6
  8. MeltedMetalGlob

Found a newspaper from 1937 inside an old house we were working in!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2