1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What would you like to learn to do in the kitchen?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Jun 9, 2012.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I am starting this thread as a sharing space and a repository of information. Here, we can share our skills with others that would like to learn them. I understand not everything in the kitchen can be taught via the Internet, but I believe there is a great deal that we can cover here nonetheless.

What would you like to learn to do in the kitchen?

Perhaps it's something simple--like frosting a cake or baking bread or knife skills. Post what it is, and we can use our collective know-how to point you in the right direction, whether it's because we have the experience ourselves, or because we know a good resource.

Personally, I'd like to learn to make my own kombucha. Not your typical thing, I know, but I really enjoy kombucha and it's expensive (I think this has more to do with the overblown health statements about the drink). From what I hear, it's similar to making vinegar in that there is a "mother". I have a friend who makes his own at home and he is supposed to share some of his mother with me.

I found some instructions here: My First Experience Making Kombucha | The Kitchn

I'd also like to learn to make my own fermented sauerkraut. Before I get started, I plan on acquiring a small food-grade bucket and airlock (this will be good for future fermentables). Does anyone have any experience with making sauerkraut, kim chee, or the like?

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'd like to learn something really simple.... make bubble tea.

mostly, it's all about getting the jelly or bobas, oh and the straw. but after that it's not being lazy and actually putting it all together.

3. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I'd like to learn to be motivated to make more than raspberry ice tea and bake nonfat apple raisin bran muffins. I don't hate to cook but I don't particularly like it, either. I'm very grateful to all who do, tho'!

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I could really use some cooking classes.
    I love to cook and people seem to enjoy eating my food.
    Having said that, I lack creativity and have trouble making the plate look pretty. Aesthetics are my definite weak point.
    I just don't have the free time for classes right now.

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Skillshare - Search Site: Cooking: NYC

Skillshare has been really cool, the things I've attended. One camera class and another on food and photography. Low commitment, it's one day usually. I found it's enough to help decide if one wants to pursue more. Kind of like Learning Tree or Learning Annex, but just normal people.

6. I'd love to have a set of very good knives and learn how to use them like a pro.

• Like Like x 3
  7. hope4love

hope4love Slightly Tilted

I would like to be able to make something with items I have in the house without needing a recipe, to just know what goes together and tastes well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Me too. I'm awesome at researching a recipe for a random dish and replicating it so it tastes great. I'm very good at taking a recipe and tweaking it a touch to dial it up a notch for my preferences or my wife's. But I'm not that great at saying 'I have X, Y, and Z, so I'm going to creat THIS dish from it'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raptor9k Vertical

I think I'd like to learn knife skills and how to tell which flavors complement each other the best. I would also like to learn how to make more Asian inspired dishes.

10. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I don't know if you would have the same experience as I have but I often use
    Allrecipes.com - recipes, menus, meal ideas, food, and cooking tips.
    and really have learned a lot by using the site. It isn't the recipes themselves, it is the comments that people make about a specific recipe. Often when I am looking to try something new (perhaps I have never even tasted it myself previously) I will go onto that site, see what others have done to the recipe and how it worked for them. It may be just a tip on how adding a little baking soda to a tomato based dish to reduce the acidity. If you are willing to invest a little bit of time, you may find it useful.

Off-hand I can't think of anything that I have been dying to try. The internet is a pretty handy tool, it is just a matter of convincing yourself that there are instructions out there and it is possible to create it at home. I have found found instructions for making my own soy milk, tofu, almond milk, turkey pepperoni etc, it is just a matter of looking somewhere for advice. It can be quite rewarding.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

Focus on learning cooking techniques first: broiling, braising, sauteing, roasting, etc. From there, learn which ingredients possess which qualities: which are sour, acidic, savory (umami), salty, sweet, spicy, etc. Look at different cuisines and their flavor combinations. Experiment. I really believe the foundation here is cooking technique, though, because once you have that under your belt, it becomes easier to experiment and learn to match flavors. Yes, you will fail, there are times what you make will just be okay and not great, sometimes it might even be awful. But cooking is an organic, living process. You'll learn by doing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

I make juice with oranges, strawberries & sometimes kiwi and I really like it. I do want to know what to do with the paste that is left over from the oranges and strawberries that I use. Seems like such a waste to just toss it. Maybe I can make some sort of orange jam or something similar.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  13. snowy

Orange pulp/pith is high in pectin. You couldn't make marmalade from the straight-up pith; you would need to add some segmented/supremed oranges/grapefruit/other citrus. Marmalade is really easy, though. I will link you the recipe I use when I am on a computer and not a phone.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

How to suspend her properly on the counter...

16. Curzon

Curzon New Member

I'd like to learn how to make a huge pot of chili and be famous for it, even just locally. Or win a chili cook off. I can grill a great steak, but I'm lost in the kitchen over a stove and that's the one dish that I'd like to master.

17. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'd love to be able to better adapt recipes to my altitude. I'm ok with most things; but breads and anything that rises, as well as anything that uses dried beans is problematic for me.

18. snowy

Check out: Cookistry: Technique: High Altitude Bread Donna Currie is a food blogger and bread expert from Colorado, so I would assume she's had some experience with altitude; she has many recipes on her site for baking at higher altitudes. Just search "altitude."

19. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I would love to take a charcuterie class. Make all sorts of sausage, cured and smoked meats, terrines, etc. I absolutely love them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've always wanted to be a zymologist. :D

I'm getting more into fermented food. I've read too many benefits of beneficial bacteria, specifically in foods such as sauerkraut and kefir. Plus, they're rather delicious.

Sauerkraut, or fermented cabbage, is supposedly simple to make. It's also different from your run-of-the-mill brand-name "sauerkraut," which is often just pickled cabbage, meaning it has none of the benefits of the bacteria from fermentation. Real sauerkraut needs to be properly fermented. I don't really have the room for big-batch preparations of anything, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile making smaller batches.

Kefir is also supposed to be easy to make. It's basically fermented milk. You put some kefir grains (yeast and bacteria culture) in some milk and then go to town. Compared to your typical health-benefit-touting yogurt (most of which is laden with added sugar), the amount of beneficial bacteria in kefir is simply mad stupid. It's also rather tasty and can be used in place of yogurt in many things. I tend to just put it in with my granola for breakfast.

The major thing holding me back from attempting this stuff is the very thought of fermentation itself. I mean, we're dealing with bacterial growth here. Sauerkraut will grow scum on top, and with kefir, you let the milk sit 24 to 48 hours at room temperature depending on your desired thickness.

That sounds like recipes for food poisoning! I know, I know....a different kind of bacteria... This is good bacteria.... And remember: kefir is traditionally made in sacks of milk hanging in doorways where they can be regularly agitated as people walk by.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012