1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What's a good bread maker?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by ashland, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ashland

ashland Vertical

We have a Hitachi HB-B201 bread maker. The loafs come out like a cube and are very dense. Been trying different recipes for a year but always get the same thing. Ready to try a new one. Any suggestions?

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Bread machines have been around long enough that most of the make pretty good bread.
    Have you tried different yeast in your machine, and have you tried warming the water before putting ingredients in?
    Also, are you segregating the yeast from the liquid and sugar when you load the ingredients?

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

More effort, but worth it. I warn you now: tt is the beginning of a quest to perfect bread. At the very least, it isn't a unitasker.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'd go this route too. The versatility is incredible.

5. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

If you want the convenience of a bread machine, then most will work fairly well. As fflowley mentioned, the issue is more likely the recipe and your technique. It is important that the yeast be separated from the liquid and sugar/fat at the start, but there are many recipes that are extremely touchy. I have one, a molasses-oatmeal brownbread recipe that is probably the most forgiving recipe in the world (and one of the tastiest). Other ones have to be handled with kid gloves to get good results in the same Black & Decker unit.

6. ashland

ashland Vertical

Have tried warming the water. Have tried different yeast. Haven't tried segregating the yeast fromthe liquid and sugar. Will try that, thanks.

Also haven't tried:
    Have access to one. I'll try that, too.

7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am with Snowy and Borla. I've just started making bread and rolls and it isn't all that much effort if you have a stand mixer.

I made two batches of hamburger buns for a BBQ last weekend and it was almost no effort at all with my new stand mixer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

The stand mixer is so tempting.
    I mainly make pizza dough with my bread machine.
    How does that work with the mixer?