1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What's your MBTI personality type?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I first discovered the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) in college. I didn't really think much about it at the time, and we only looked at it superficially and briefly. I only recall that I was an introvert, which was no surprise.

Years later, I've come back on occasion to the idea of a personality type as outlined by the MBTI. I've been conflicted with it. At times, I look at it as understanding myself at my core. At other times, I rail against it as pop psychology fluff. There are criticisms of the MBTI, but I can't seem to move away from it. I want to reject it, I think, because I want to reject my personalty type as defined by it.

I think my issue is that I keep coming up INFP (Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeling, Perceiving). INFPs are an odd bunch, and we're one of the smaller segments population-wise. Heck, even among the four temperaments, NFs are in the minority (we're "idealists," so go figure).

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I believe in much of the validity of the MBTI, but I view being an INFP as a cross that I have to bear, albeit reluctantly. I think my life would be much easier if I had a different personality as defined by this. I don't think much of the world is kind to my type. We're bloody dreamers.

This is something I'm learning to accept and work with.

That said, what is your personality type?

You can take some quick measures to determine it:
    The first one is pretty easy. You just pick what best describes you in each quadrant. The second one might be more your speed if you aren't so sure. It's a longer questionnaire about how you act or think in certain situations.

If you're serious about it, though, you can pay a reasonable fee to have a proper test done: My MBTI Personality Type - Take the MBTI Instrument

I'm not all that interested in paying for a proper test, because I doubt I'm anything other than an INFP. It's pretty obvious. I have on a a few occasions tried to trick myself into thinking I was an INTP (the "Engineer)—Thinking instead of Feeling—and even an ISFP (the "Artist")—Sensing instead of iNtuitive—once. But after reading a couple of books, I'm quite convinced I'm a rather deeply set INFP.
    I do recommend these books above just taking some online quiz. They go into detail that helps you really understand what each attribute actually entails.

Anyway, I'd like to know where you guys fit in the MBTI, and I'd like us to discuss what knowing our personality types might do for us. As far as I'm concerned, I need to accept the kind of person I am, lest I never realize my full potential.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I fucking love the Meyers-Briggs. I think it's brilliant, and incredibly effective, and I end up using it all the time-- it's astonishing how many people know about it and know their MBTI.

I am an INFP, with the N and F both in the high seventies/low eighties percentiles, the P in around the thirties, and the I low down, barely around the tenth percentile, right on the border with E.

I've taken the test three times, in three slightly different formats, and while the precise numbers shifted a bit, the overall type as INFP and the basic skew of the percentiles consistently worked out the same, which doesn't surprise me in the least. That is entirely who and what I am, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm an ENTJ, the Fieldmarshal. Knowing that has helped me embrace leadership. I'll be back with more later.

4. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'm an INFP as well, although it's been a few years since I've been tested. And "Healer" would probably be one of the last words that I would use to describe myself.
    If I remember right, I'm somewhat borderline between F and T. I find it amusing, because although I see myself as intuitive, but don't consider myself particularly idealistic. I'm stolidly pragmatic about most things. I do need a few close friends, but I hate small crowds, like 10-50 people, and feel threatened. Large crowds, like a stadium, don't affect me the same way.
    My work is highly analytical, although I use intuition as a point of departure, I try to vet intuitive "hunches" with careful and patient analysis. I don't really see a strong difference in myself between sensing and intuiting. Intuitives may, perhaps, just sense some things that sensers don't, and have that so-called "sixth sense."

Out of awakened curiosity, I think that I'll do one of the self tests. I'm remembering now that when I visited with my high school counselor fifteen years out he said that I was "enigmatic." which I took as a high complement.:D

5. Baraka_Guru

The problem with inadequate tests is that you don't get each aspect graded. If you're borderline T, that would explain your more rational leanings. The NT "rationalist" temperament might come out in your work, which would make you more of a rational thinker.

Your intuition is actually a part of your rational thinking. It's your feeling side that you need to keep in check when it comes to what you do.

It's the difference between NT rational:
    Keirsey Temperament Website - Portrait of the Rational (NT)

And NF idealist:
    Keirsey Temperament Website - Portrait of the Idealist® (NF)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. I switch between INFP and INFJ depending on how I choose to answer the questions that day.
    And it makes a lot of sense, because both personality types really seem to 'gel' with how I see myself.
    For instance, taking the test today, these are my results, which make lots of sense to me:

More on this as I get more time to put thought into it.

7. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I too, love this test.
    I've taken it formally as a Masters-level counseling student and it was fun and accurate.
    I agree that you really should look at your results deeply to get a good handle on what being reflected back to you.
    That said, I am an INFJ.
    Lots of people would disagree that I'm an "I" but 1. It's only slightly so (11%) and 2. That's who I feel I am at my core, no matter what you see on the surface.
    The rest: N (12%)
    F (50%)
    J (44%)
    The original profession I chose (clinical counselor) was exactly what this personality type was matched with. What I do now is in the same basic range, too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. Introverted
    Sensing
    Thinking
    Judging

With a side order of DOM

• Like Like x 2
  9. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

BTW, I have always gone for ENFPs and ENFJs. Mrs. Levite is an ENFJ (moderate-strong E, strong NF, moderate J). Do the rest of you guys have a type you've usually ended up dating, and/or marrying?

10. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Good question!

I'll have my spouse take the online test in the next day or two--though I'm pretty sure he'll be the opposite of me or with his introversion being solidly so.

As far as the people I feel most comfortable with as friends, inevitably they are NF's. I realize we are a small population but I do value quality over quantity. ;)
    Seriously though, I can understand being in a small "elite" group as feeling as if one has a cross to bear. That's why it is such a comfort to find others like me. Even my dad, with whom I share a number of strong personality traits, fully understands how difficult it is for us to make friends that we feel comfortable with. I felt like a weirdo and an outcast for a long time but just in the past 10-15 years or so I've become OK with who I am. Though I can tweak some "superficial" things in my personality (like I may seem more outgoing than I feel) my core self remains just that, and I've embraced it.

11. ISFP

what i looked up what it meant, it was pretty spot on about most things.

12. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Your Type
    INFP
    Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(12%) Feeling(62%) Perceiving(33)%
    • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
    • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
    • You have distinctive preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
    You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (33%)
    I don't feel qualified to take this test.

13. Alistair Eurotrash

e N f P

A lot of Ns and Fs in this thread.

14. I am what I am...

Portrait of an ISTJ

In other words, damned near perfect!

15. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Took these kinda tests many times over the years. Consistently get the result of ENTP.

Portrait of an ENTP

Much of the description is pretty spot-on.

16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Mine fluctuates depending on my mood when I take it. INTJ, INTP, and INFJ being the most common. Like most personality measures, it really depends on what mood you're in when you read the questions.

17. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Ive had to do these tests at work a few times on management courses, and every time Ive been far out green. (I dont know if the colour is the common method of scoring)... basically the one who is an least extrovert, and most caring of others... which is odd, because while I am an introvert I am also quite selfish.
    --- merged: Oct 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM ---
    Introvert(100%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(12%) Judging(33%)
    You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
    You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
    You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
    You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm not going to bother to retake the inventory, as I've taken it multiple times over the years, and I'm always an ENTJ. I've bolded the characteristics that are particularly true for me.

Extraverted Characteristics
    • Act first, think/reflect later
    • Feel deprived when cutoff from interaction with the outside world (yes and no, thanks to the Internet and my profession)
    • Usually open to and motivated by outside world of people and things
    • Enjoy wide variety and change in people relationships
    Intuitive Characteristics
    • Mentally live in the Future, attending to future possibilities
    • Using imagination and creating/inventing new possibilities is automatic-instinctual
    • Memory recall emphasizes patterns, contexts, and connections
    • Best improvise from theoretical understanding
    • Comfortable with ambiguous, fuzzy data and with guessing its meaning.
    Thinking Characteristics
    • Instinctively search for facts and logic in a decision situation.
    • Naturally notices tasks and work to be accomplished.
    • Easily able to provide an objective and critical analysis.
    • Accept conflict as a natural, normal part of relationships with people.
    Judging Characteristics
    • Plan many of the details in advance before moving into action.
    • Focus on task-related action; complete meaningful segments before moving on. (see my use of the Pomodoro technique)
    • Work best and avoid stress when able to keep ahead of deadlines.
    • Naturally use targets, dates and standard routines to manage life.

From the Keirsey site:

This is especially true for me--I always end up in charge of group work. It started in high school. Somehow, this happens whether I want to lead or not, as I am typically the most organized person in the group with the best idea of how to get the work accomplished. People typically yield to my concept of how the work should be achieved. For example, my cohort recognizes me as a kind of de facto leader of the class. I'm the one who founded the Facebook group that helps us all keep in touch outside of school, for instance.

My career goals absolutely fit with my personality profile. I want to lead. I currently work as a manager, and my current career fits my organizational tendencies well. My skills suit my profession, and I recognize that as I go down this path, I'll find satisfaction from pursuing my long-term goals due to my personality type.

19. ISTJ​

Introvert(67%) Sensing(12%) Thinking(44%) Judging(1%)
    • You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)​
    • You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)​
    • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (44%)​
    • You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)​
    I get the impression that the percentages can move based on how you feel at the time of testing. Energy levels or recent positive or negative events can affect your mood and responses. Marginal and slight preferences may be subject to significant shifts. My S/I and J/P numbers could be different if my knees and hips weren't aching or the Tigers had won last night.

20. Baraka_Guru

I thought I'd post my scores too. I don't think they fluctuate much, though I think I might sometimes fool myself in terms of how I react rationally vs. emotionally. My Feeling is probably actually higher than this indicates.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013