1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food When was the last time you cooked for yourself?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Taliesin, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Stop for a second and ask yourself that question.
    I'm currently a bachelor that grew up in the fast food era.
    I was cooking tonight & realized it's been some months since i last chopped vegetables and cooked for myself.
    I mostly live off fast, easy food,
    *Asian Noodle Wok
    *Subway
    *Hungry Jacks
    *Chicken Treat
    Even, I'll admit it, MacDonald's!

But it doesn't stop there in this modern world!
    There is an Egyptian kebab shop (they keep odd hours, but are delicious),
    a shop that cooks three roasts a day & serves it up in plastic containers with your choice of roast veggies (pumpkin, potatoes, carrot, beans, sweet potatoes, peas & corn...)
    a variety of pizza choices are out there, plus burger joints, or counter feeds,
    then there are the cafes and restaurants...

I guess my point is i don't normally take the time out to cook.
    And why would i? With all these products cheap & quickly available?
    Am I typical of this day & age?

When was the last time members of the TFP cooked for themselves???

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Pretty much every single day.
    At least 6 days a week before we had kids, and still that way now.
    We have healthy meals at a reasonable price, with fresh items and regional flavors that can't be matched.
    And we are all at ideal body weights which I think has a lot to do with our preparing our own meals.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Last night.

I travel a night or two a week, so those nights are out. Of the remaining 5-6 nights, I probably grill 2-3 of them. My wife cooks 3-4 of them. On nights that I am home we probably only eat out or get carryout for dinner maybe once or twice a month. We cook a lot.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

I should clarify, i deliver industrial caravans (similar to trailer homes for American viewers ;)) as a living
    So i travel alot as well. I use this as an excuse not to cook often.
    I also eat alot of frozen pies, sausage rolls, tv dinners & easily heated in the oven frozen fish/chicken with frozen microwaved veggies.

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

While on break, I have cooked almost every night. When in school, I cook 3-4 times a week. When you have kids you just have to cook. If I were on my own, I don't know that I would cook for myself that often. It's not that I mind the cooking, but I hate the mess.

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I cooked on Thursday night for just myself, as my husband was gone that evening for frisbee. This week has been a weird week as we've been trying to enjoy the last week of "freedom" before I return to school on Tuesday. Last night we opted for a happy hour snack together out at a local beer bar. We cook at home most nights, as it's a time-saver and a money-saver. Most people don't believe me when I say it's a time-saver, but if you go to a sit-down restaurant, figure out how long it takes you to go there, sit down, order, and get your food. Similarly, a trip to a fast food joint can take 15 minutes between going there, getting food, and getting home. We cook vegetarian in the house, so getting a meal on the table in under 15 minutes is not only feasible, it's pretty typical. Fajitas, stir-fry, curry, and all kinds of other things can all be made in 15 minutes or less. It's healthier for us, it's cheaper for us, and it's fast. My husband also cooks frequently, so we switch off on kitchen duty quite a bit, which is nice.

7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Tonight is Magpie 's night to cook and last night we did sushi. I cooked the rest of the week.

When I was a young bachelor I didn't really know how to cook, so most of my meals came out of a box. It was somewhere around my 24th or 25th birthday that I finally decided that it was time to learn to feed myself properly. Convenience meals are convenient (hence the name) but aren't really very good. I got tired of them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Plus, you make a mean carbonara. Why would anyone eat a meal out of a box when they could have carbonara?

9. I cook all the time. Mostly on the grill. My wife had foot surgery in June, could not put any weight on it for four weeks. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen.

I've also lost over 15 lbs since then. Correlation?

• Like Like x 3
  10. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I cook often. I reheat the leftovers on the nights I don't cook. Hubs will either eat what I cook or make his own. But I cook most often. I'd rather eat at home most of the time. It's cheaper and healthier.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm trying to get out of the habit of "throwing shit together" to feed myself.

I want to make decent stuff, partly because I can...and should. (I worked about nine years in the food service industry.)

I love making curries (both Indian and Thai). Maybe I'll dedicate myself to making one at least once a week.

Other than that, I just got a couple of cookbooks from the library with the theme of "meals in under 30 minutes." One barrier to me right now is that I'm lazy and procrastinate. If I have some great ideas for quick deliciousness, I'd be more apt to actually make something. I'm the dishwasher at our place, so if I cook, it basically means I pull double-duty. However, on September 14, we're moving to a place that has a dishwasher (the machine!) and double sinks.

I'm not going to have any more excuses. Yet, I'm seriously glad about that.

You don't understand. I've washed dishes by hand (all of them) for about fifteen years...in a single sink setup.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

If I were going to make one complaint about where I live now, it would be the lack of a dishwasher. Magpie and I switch off on dish washing duty, so it's not too onerous -- the rule is whoever doesn't cook does the cleaning.

I've considered getting an apartment-sized deal, like the ones that hook up to the sink. I've been washing my own dishes for over a decade now, so the idea of having a machine to do it for me seems positively decadent.

13. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

There must be something wrong with me. I had my dishwasher removed because it wasn't being used and was taking up space.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

I/we cook for us everyday. It's fun, cheaper, easy and healthier. We are vegan so, we get to choose the foods we like and then make them into something we want.
    And, I do wash the dishes by hand too.

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Seriously. The place we're moving to is still under 1,000 square feet, but I'm going to feel like a prince.

It even has a washer and dryer off the kitchen! No more lugging laundry up four floors or higher only to find the machines are in use...and no more "oh, we can't wash our underwear because we don't have the proper change, and we'll have to go to the bank...when it's open...."

16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

The dishwasher is handy as storage for dirty dishes, if nothing else. Sig and I are always at odds over what to do with the dirties. We both grew up without dishwashers.
    His family of origin always let the dishes pile up in the sink so they could use the counter. My family always rinsed the dirties, then put them on the counter so that they could use the sink. I hate it when all I want to do is wash some veggies, and the sink is full of dirty dishes.:mad:
    I/we cook for us (nearly) every day. It's fun, cheaper, easy and healthier. We are paleo carnivores (mostly) so, we get to choose the foods we like and then make them into something we want.:D

We put plastic glasses, cups, and (especially) silverware into the dishwasher. I cook mostly with a collection of old Revereware copper bottoms mixed with cast iron pans that shouldn't go in the dishwasher, so I always do the pots and pans and glass glasses by hand.

I'll be doing some cooking tomorrow. One of the local stores bought a whole truckload of Hatch chile peppers (from New Mexico). A 25lb box is $24.95 so I'll be roasting, peeling, and freezing green chiles all afternoon, and making a big batch, probably a gallon or two, of New Mexico style pork green chile.

17. I was pondering this thought a week and a half ago when I looked into my fridge and saw that it was almost completely empty.

Made tacos for myself last night, before that was probably the chili that I made 3 weeks ago (and ate for a week). I'm just not home enough to warrant cooking most of the time (plus my kitchen is positively tiny with no counter space which makes me very non-inclined to make a mess in it).

18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Generally, I cook a family meal on Sundays. The rest of the week, our helper makes all of our meals. I don't get home until late so usually everyone else eats before I get home. Also, on weeknights, I tend to eat a lot less food, so dinner is usually something very small for me.

What I need to start doing is bring my lunch to work.

19. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

I agree with everyone who hates dishes.
    Dishes are the reason i don't enjoy cooking.
    The act itself doesn't bother me, and i love eating the results.
    But i hate the clean up. Not just dishes, but bench, stove, sink, table...

As for this,
    I'm trying to get INTO the habit of throwing things together to feed myself. ;D
    I know i eat too much fast food, it's a tough habit to break.

This sounds like me.
    I've got about 5 different cook books. All variations of "30 minute meals"
    None of the recipes sound wholly appetizing, so i end up not cooking anything.
    I've recently learnt to only vaguely follow the recipe & cook whatever i think i'll like.

My fridge is almost always empty. I need to be able to travel at the drop of a hat. So i can't plan meals too far in advance
    I'm trying to learn to make tasty meals with few ingredients. I'll lean nutrition another day.

Living the dream.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  20. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Since I moved in with my brother I will cook once a week for them. Hmm... Been traveling these last three weeks so have been eating out quite a bit also.
    When I go back to England in September I so look forward to Zen 's cooking!

But saying that, before I left my house I cooked every night. Geez Life has changed. Once divorce is final and get my own place, I will go back to cooking every night. Love cooking!!