1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you set your thermostat?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The cold weather is coming. It's been a few degrees above freezing lately, but I know it will dip soon. November is almost here.

We've been lucky so far, as we haven't had the furnace on yet. Our place has hovered consistently around 65 F lately. We're the kind of people who like cooler temperatures (especially at night) and will sooner put on sweaters and comfy pants before cranking the heat.

Today, it's a bit colder. The temp in here is dropping closer to 60 F. Outside, it's been between something like 35 F at night and 50 F during the day. The reason why we haven't needed the furnace, I think, is because our apartment unit is surrounded by others above, below, and on either side. We have only two outside walls, and they're only about 15' each.

The other thing, though, is that this place is new to us, including the fact that we control the temperature because we pay for the utilities now. I'm thinking that we'll keep the temperature between 60 or 65 F where we like it. I'll have to see what the SO thinks. We do have a somewhat bad habit of keeping windows open at least a crack year-round because we prefer at least some direct, fresh air. I'm not sure how we'll handle that this year.

In the summer, we often set the AC at around 66 or 68 F, but that was in a single room with a window unit. We used an exhaust fan in the far room of the apartment to help draw out hot air and move some of the cool air into the apartment. However, now we've gone from a window AC unit to central AC. We didn't use the central air much when we moved to the new place because it was already mid-September (and, again, we're nicely insulated from the outside).

What temperature do you prefer?

How do you handle your home heating? Cooling?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

We keep our house fairly cool as well, all year.

In the winter we sometimes set it as low as 63 F, though 64-65 F is more typical. In the summer we keep it in the high 60s, usually 68-69 F.

That is for a single family home, so we don't benefit from any shared walls. However, our house was built with some pretty good insulation and windows/doors that do a good job of keeping things sealed up. We also have no windows facing the south, and decent shade on the largest window facing west, so that helps keep things cool in the summer.

3. Baraka_Guru

Borla

How have things been lately? Have you turned the furnace on yet?

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I popped it on for a day or two last week. We had several days with the lows in the 30s and highs in the 40s. After a few of them the house was hovering around 59-60*, and my wife has been fighting some respiratory junk so I didn't want to further stress her lungs by keeping it in the 50s. But it's back off now.

Some mild years we've went until almost Thanksgiving without heat. :p

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We started turning on the heat a bit last week. We have ceiling heat. I like it better than baseboards because I only have to turn the heat on a bit and then turn it off, since it warms up EVERYTHING in the room. We leave the heat in the other rooms off most of the time, and only turn the ceiling heat to minimum on nights where it's supposed to be super-cold. That way, the thermostats in each room might click on if it gets below 50.

The house is pretty insulated, so at least when we do turn the heat on, it tends to stay in. I like to keep the heat below 68 in order to keep germs down.

6. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I keep my house at 52F in the winter and whatever the outside temp is in the Summer. Well, it is somewhat shaded, so it stays around 80-85 in the Summer.

I hate utility bills. And I am usually at work during the day in the winter and sleeping/computering under covers at home.

Now, in my world, homes would be designed like this, and they would be ~55 degrees in the Summer in the basement and use solar thermal heat or a small pellet fireplace in the winter months to warm the inside during the day.
    [​IMG]

7. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

sorry, but does that pic remind anybody else of :

[​IMG]

Tatooine ?
    --- merged: Oct 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM ---
    My thermometer is set in the dining room - at 22 degrees in the daytime (room temp) and 19 in the evening. We started the furnace about a week ago. Temps have been down around 2 degrees in the overnight , and some frost is apparent in the city. Skim of ice on the birdbath in the morning makes it hard for those chikadees.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, I just asked that, but edited my post because you beat me to it. :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hah, that was my first thought on seeing it too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

In the winter, usually around 62. In the summer, 70ish.

Heating and cooling is expensive, yo.

And blankets are cheap and snuggles are free (most of the time) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Living in CFL a central A/C unit is as much a dehumidifier as anything else, we'd have mold everywhere if we didn't keep it dryer inside, but temperaturewise we go for 73F during the summer and in the winter just use the heat to keep it from dipping too far into the 60's.

The problem is our apartment is insulated about as well as a colander, so the electric bill is around $200 most of the year.

12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Ohio gets pretty cold this time of the year. We've had to use our heater a couple of times in the past week.
    Winter:
    70*F when home and awake.
    60*F when asleep or at work.
    40*F when traveling out of town.

In the winter we rig our clothes dryer so it vents into the basement (filter on the end of the tubing) to heat our house (and make it smell like clean, crisp laundry - yay). Since we do most of our laundry on the weekends, it makes our place warm without adding to our utility bill.

Summer:
    Thermostat is off when below 80*F, unless unbearably humid.
    75*F when home.
    72*F at night.
    80*F when away.

13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

At 40F, you should turn off the water if you leave town.

And I think you can only do that with your clothes dryer if it is electric. I'm not sure if the CO/CO2 from a natural gas dryer would be enough to have health effects, but it probably isn't worth finding out.

The thing I wish they would make is a refrigerator that could use the cold outside air to cool the inside of the fridge and make ice during the night.

• Like Like x 1
  14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

We live in an interior-unit townhouse, our neighbors keep their houses quite warm enough to avoid it actually dropping below 60*F. It's really annoying when we do want it cool. There have been times when we've opened windows in the winter because we're roasting.

There are no natural gas lines running to our building.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

My favorite is 69

Fortunately now, I save a lot on utilities because I'm in an apt in just the right place.
    I'm off the first floor, so the cold earth doesn't make it colder in the winter.
    I'm on the equivalent of the 2nd floor, even though I can walk in off the road...so the apt. below heats me in the winter.
    And I'm on the opposite side of the complex building, so the sun doesn't hit directly and the wind doesn't either.

My bill really goes up in the summer with AC, cause I hate humidity.
    But since I've kept it off the past month...just $11 for electricity/gas.

But when I had a large house, I hated those bills.
    And my ex's health issues didn't help because her body temp fluctuated radically...
    and she had no disipline, so the 'stat would either be at 59 in the Summer or 75 in the winter, or change by the hour. :eek:
    I remember easily dishing out $500 per month.

16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

We turned the air off a few weeks ago, and it was lovely. Unfortunately, NC had a cold snap last week, and we had to turn the heat on.

We generally keep it between 65-68 at home, sometimes lower than that when we go to sleep-- the bedroom stays pretty warm, with two adults and two fluffy dogs who like to snuggle. In the summer, around 70-73.

At work, it stays at 75 during the summer, and 65 during the winter. I have an infrared heater that I keep next to my desk area, which is nice.

17. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Electric heat is set at 55, If you want it warmer, light a fire in the woodburning stove.

• Like Like x 2
  18. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We live in upstate NY.
    This has been a pretty mild fall.
    Our primary heat source is wood pellets. We've been running the pellet stove downstairs at night the last couple of weeks.
    I am a total tightwad when it comes to heating the house particularly if it involves buying hydrocarbons. Every time I see an oil bill I picture our check going straight to jihadi central support.
    We buy 5 tons of wood pellets each fall.
    We do not put the heat on in our room upstairs and it is usually 58-60F in the winter. I really like taking a steaming hot shower then getting under the down comforter and falling asleep at that temp.
    We do not have A/C. There might be 5 days a year where it would be useful. Just not worth it and most homes around here do not have it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Man, y'all are really making me miss having a stove/fireplace.

My parents had one of those cast iron wood burning stoves, and it was awesome. I couldn't tell you how they set the thermostat, but I can remember several mornings spent in front of the stove before school, eating breakfast or just warming up a bit.

I briefly lived in an apartment with a fireplace when I was married, and it was fantastic. I don't think we turned on the heat once that winter.

The house I live in now HAD a fireplace, but the landlord bricked it up for insurance reasons. Major sad face :(

• Like Like x 1
  20. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

Usually tend to keep it at 63-64 in the winter, as we do have cats and dogs with thinner fur. If they weren't in the house, I would drop the heat to 60 at night.

During the summer, I care less about the air temperature than I do the level of humidity. I grew up in the Arizona desert and can comfortably tolerate inside air temperatures of 75-85 with low humidity. We do have many computers/IT equipment running in the house due to my husband's business, so we run the A/C to keep the electronics cool and to offset the heat they generate.