1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Who's gonna fill his shoes? George Jones dies at 81

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3GgoLtlWk

Country Star George Jones Dies : The Two-Way : NPR

I grew up enjoying the last great phase of country music (mostly '70s and '80s). At the time, I thought I hated it, but I guess perhaps I only pretended to because I didn't want to like the same music my dad listened to. Looking back, I kind of enjoy a lot of the country music from the '50s through the '80s. Can't say the same for anything from the '90s on. New country and all that rot.

I guess I like "classic country." George Jones was a powerful artist among them. And now he's gone.

I'm going to spin a few of his tracks today.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Two of my favorite George Jones songs:

We listened to a lot of George Jones songs growing up. Trips to Lake Cumberland meant popping in a George Jones tape about halfway down, and the tape stayed in for the duration of the weekend. My stepdad had a couple of his records on vinyl, and they were on pretty heavy rotation (heh...literally) on my record player. I cried the first time I heard "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes." And I think "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is one of the best songs period, not only in country music.

I'll also be listening to him today. Rest peacefully, Possum.

3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I swear I heard he died last year!

Rest in peace, George. Hope you find some of Heaven's white lightning.

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

No one will ever fill his shoes.

5. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

Brad Paisley! He's awesome and can rock, too!!

6. Fill your shoes with alcohol and when they're dry, drive a riding lawnmower to nearest bar.
    That's what he would want you to do.

• Like Like x 6
  7. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

when i was a kid 15 or16 i used to go to me pawpaws and we would listen to old country music on his turn table. we listened to lots of George jones. what i wouldn't give for one more night of that.

• Like Like x 2