1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why aren't you playing Kerbal Space Program yet? It's free

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by MSD, Jul 15, 2011.

1. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Donwload the game here. That's where you'll get the most recent version.
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/download.php
    The forum there also provides a quick way to interact with the developers, if you like the game I suggest you sign up.

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
    -Carl Sagan

Unfortunately, some day is way the hell out in the future and you'll be destroying yourselves a whole lot. That's how the Kerbal Space Program works. Start the game. Run the tutorial and build a sensible rocket. After that you have no choice but to give in to your phallic compulsions and build ridiculous rockets and blow up your poor Kerbal Astronauts time and time again.

"What the hell are you talking about?" you ask? Like I said, start building rockets. Try to make it to escape velocity; try to make it to orbit; try to do anything and return the poor Kerman brothers to their home planet alive.

Here, we have a basic liftoff.

[​IMG]

No, that solid rocket booster I'm using is not included with the game. Some guys on the Something Awful forums and others on the Kerbal Space Program forums have been making new parts. they're available here. http://mod.gib.me/kerbal/mods/ Fortunately, the game's designers have made it easy to make your own parts with a little 3d modeling experience. You'll quickly learn which pieces are good and which aren't. If you're just starting, get Sunday Punch's pack and unzip it into your parts folder.

But back to the launch.
    [​IMG]
    Notice how terrified Bill and Bob are? Bill and bob are damn wieners. Jebediah, on the other hand simply does not give a fuck. He will smile on through somersaults, losses of control, and sometimes even smile right up to the moment of his untimely death (which will happen frequently until you get in the habit of putting a parachute module on the ship.

But eventually, you'll get to orbit. At this point in development (version 0.8.4,) there are no missions, you have to make them for yourself. Go as high as possible, go as fast as possible. make the most circular orbit possible, make the most eccentric orbit possible without slingshotting past apokee (where Earth's apoapsis and periapsis are called "apogee" and "perigee," the corresponding points around the tentatively named "Kearth" are "apokee and perikee,) and achieving escape velocity

This is orbit
    [​IMG]

And https://gist.github.com/1073201]This[/url] is a chart of circular orbit velocities and escape velocities when launching from "Kearth."

For fun: my 6 orbit/safe landing craft made before symmetry made it easy
    [​IMG]

Maltesh on the Something Awful forums made this awesome orbit calculator, which makes it even easier to figure out exactly where you're going. http://www.mediafire.com/?3r0595vfno2qckt

Just remember, when times get tough, look at jeb and smile. He's probably going to die, but he's right there smiling along with you.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Thanks..... :oops:

I spent futile hours trying to break atmo the other night. I went to bed, dejected, at just after 3:00 a.m.

So addictive!

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Let me know when there's a Linux version. Or a Mac version. Actually, the second one would be even better -- I have an iMac at the office, I could do this instead of working. The other guys would love it too. This could potentially shut down our entire systems group.

4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I don't know why there isn't a Mac version, it's literally one check box in Unity Engine's compiler. I'm sure there will be sooner or later.

5. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I don't get it, what's the goal ?

6. martian

The goal? Make orbit. Launch the boys off into space. Make the biggest explosion you can.

It's a sandbox game. Go play.

I finally installed this on the one Windows machine in my home, and have wasted far too much time on it already. If they ever do make a Mac version I'm screwed.

7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I've tried to download this twice now, but our connection has been REALLY screwy lately :(

8. martian

Update: I have achieved orbit! Next step is figuring out how to get down...

9. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

I've gotten them into space, but haven't quite gotten the hang of orbit.

10. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

http://www.kerbalspacerepository.com/ is now the best place to find community-made parts, but I don't See Sunday Punch's up there. An ongoing challenge from the KSP forums is to get this satellite into orbit. There are instructions available to get it into a 24 hour orbit, but seeing as Kearth appears to be tidally locked to its start, I prefer a hihgly eccentric orbit.

Here is a tool to help you achieve orbit. http://code.google.com/p/ksp-calculator/downloads/detail?name=KSPCalculator.0.8.1.zip&can=2&q=

Remember the fundamentals: A prograde (in the direction you're going) burn at either apoapsis or periapsis will increase your altitude at the other. A retrograde (opposite to the direction you're going) burn at one will decrease your altitude at the other. In other words, to circularize your orbit, burn prograde at apopasis or burn retrograde at periapsis; to deorbit, burn retrograde at apoapsis (use the linked program to figure out how much you have to slow down to drop periapsis below 34,000m.) Earlier today, I got myself into an eccentric orbit in which a reduction of 1m/s at apoapsis would have dropped me into the atmosphere, but I didn't feel like dealing with the 25 hour and 36 minute orbital period.

edit: oh dear, this can't be good
    [​IMG]

11. Devoid

Devoid New Member

Goddammit, I'm gonna lose a shit ton of time to this. Thanks!! :)

12. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Version 9 experimental build 1 is available on the download page. Make sure you do a clean install in a new directory. Known bugs are available on their forum, most important of which is that if you use struts, triple check that both ends are actually attached and not colliding with any object's mesh before going to the launch pad unless you want to have to restart the program.

13. Baraka_Guru

I'm afraid to revisit this game. I can't get over the fact I haven't broken atmo yet.

14. wolf Evil Grin

I downloaded, but when I run the exe I get an error regarding the KSP_Data folder not found.

15. martian

Protip: You'll need at least two stages to get into orbit. Solid boosters get you off the ground, liquid fuel gets you into orbit. Take enough fuel to get you there and move around, but don't take more than you need or you'll be too heavy to make it.

16. Baraka_Guru

I've tried one-, two-, three-, four-, five-, six-, and seven-stage models. I'm highly experimental and I don't know much about space science and engineering. My most successful attempts were two- and three-stage models, so I know that I have to focus on that. I figured out fairly quickly that you start with the solid boosters and use the liquid fuel after, considering you can't stop the solid monsters once you start them. I was always economical with the liquid fuel, as I was more concerned about breaking atmo than coming back in.

I should note, however: I'm much better at sending abstractions into orbit. I'm not very technically inclined. I'm having fun though.

There is something startlingly sublime about completely losing control of a highly combustible vehicle in an extremely high, low-oxygen part of the world.

Sometimes the sky really is the limit.

17. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Not quite correct. Parachute on top with 4 tanks and a liquid engine can achieve single stage to orbit.

You may also want to use this orbit calculator made by Maltesh on the Something Awful forums.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3r0595vfno2qckt

For advanced maneuvers, Cojawfee from SA made a Hohmann Transfer Orbit calculator. Punch in your current circular orbit altitude and your target circular orbit altitude, and it tells you your current velocity, how fast to accelerate to at your current altitude, and how much to slow down to at your target altitude.
    http://andrewcoja.com/orbits/hohmantransfer.php

18. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

This sounds like an excellent way to waste even more of my time. I will go check this out immediately when I get home.

19. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I tried an early build of it a while ago, it was pretty buggy and I couldn't seem to make things work to the point of actually getting into space or orbiting. I had more luck with Orbiter 2010, which is infinitely more complex, so I kinda put it up to bugs and moved on. I should check it out again if you say it's better now.

20. wolf Evil Grin

Love this....some of the mods are hysterical.