1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why should you 'like' anything here at TFP 5.0?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Aug 17, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

We had a Hall of Fame TFP4.0 that had some of the most interesting threads ever, from Mass Media Mind Control to the Horizontal Pussy? (NSFW) threads.

The problem I always had with it was that it was something that was decided by the staff and there was little criteria to be consistent.

If you like a post, this will add them all up for a thread and the highest counts will be added to the Hall of Fame. You can see the threads that have the most likes in the posts, and also see the posts that have the most likes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I try to remember to 'like' posts, this is good incentive. :)

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I have yet to "Like" a post but now that I've been given an incentive to click that despicable button, I shall do such.

Sparingly.

4. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Is this about the likes on the opening post of the thread, or total likes within a thread? I often hit the Like button when someone has a humorous aside, but that doesn't really have to do with the whole thread.

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

it probably doesn't matter. humorous asides contribute to the life of a thread, too.

6. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have pressed that a few times but it has the whole facebook feel to it still and that generally stops me unless the post or content is truly a zinger.

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

one thing that will sway the "like" curve a little too much are the photo threads. there's a lot of liking being done down there. which is good and appropriate, but it's going to sway the results away from discussion threads a bit, I think.

8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't help but chuckle reading this phrase. Sorry, men never grow out of their adolescent humor. :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

not licking, liking.
    damn. :p

10. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Slightly Tilted

So I noticed that if you go to the hall of fame posts, a TE post shows up. Is there a way to not include TE in the count?

11. cynthetiq

TE only shows up to those that have access to it. I am trying to figure out how to alter it so that I can remove certain forums from the HoF but that will be in the future.
    Agreed. I'm not sure how to deal with that at the moment since it's either an all or nothing.

12. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I'm responsible for a bunch of those "likes" in the photo threads. Sometimes it's an easy thing to make a post that says, "That's breathtaking!"

Other times my collection of adjectives fail me and I think hitting the like button is some small way of acknowledging that someone's work did not go ignored. Not to mention that the like button keeps me from looking like a post-count whore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cynthetiq

What if I remove the like from that forum and in order to complement the work, you really have to compliment the work.

14. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Looks like I'll have to dig out the thesaurus!

(If that's the way it has to be, so be it.) :)

15. RangerJoe

I guess my only concern was someone pulling an address from the excerpt that shows up. The one I saw on there had part of the attached image's address, just not all of it, but the poster had said something beforehand. If someone was to post the photo without saying anything, I'm worried that the excerpt in HoF will show the attached image's address.

(I hope this makes sense. I'm really just trying to help)

16. cynthetiq

It will show the images address.

But it only shows HoF based on criteria set for minimum amount of likes and which forums are available to each user. Thus, potentially HoF looks different to each user. If you remove yourself from Politics or Weaponry you won't see those threads show up in your HoF, but I will continue to see them.

17. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

perhaps no 'likes' in TE is a solution...

18. cynthetiq

but what difference does it make? It will only show in someone's HoF is they already have access to the TE. If they don't have access to TE, they won't see it.

19. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood the issue with the photo's address.
    never mind. :)

20. RangerJoe

I understand now. :)