1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Winterize windows with plastic seal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by omega, Oct 15, 2017.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

Has anyone done this before? I'm interested in trying this out in the basement and a few windows this winter. I need to save some money and be better insulated. How have your results been?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Do you mean like with tape and the plastic sheeting that you shrink to fit with a hair dryer? My husband and I used to live in a house built in 1929 with single-pane windows. It made a noticeable difference.

• Like Like x 1
  3. omega

omega Very Tilted

I can imagine in your old house it made a huge difference. Girlfriends daughter lives in the basement. Quite chilly down there. My girls have a corner room with a window on each wall. The whole ball of the house gets good sun exposure during the winter, but my kids and her daughter don't benefit from that.

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Every year for twenty years.
    Living in a trailer in Alaska pretty much demanded it.
    It works fine as long as you get the plastic connected to the tape all the way round.
    You don't need to get too happy with the hairdryer, that can go bad and pull off the tape.
    Make sure what you sticking the tape to is clean, dry and won't peel.

If you can use spray foam of caulking to fill in any leaks around the edges of your window that can help too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

7. omega

omega Very Tilted

Of course now the temp is sitting around 75, even though it was snowing a week ago.