1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

So, it's six months out at this point, but among my friends, we're already talking about betting. :p

As some of you may know, the United States got drawn into a very hard group (G)--Ghana, Portugal, and Germany are our opponents for the first round of play. My other favorite team, the Netherlands, got drawn into a group with Spain, so we'll have a replay of the 2010 final to start with (GO ORANJE!).

Regardless of whether you follow soccer or not, this World Cup is having some interesting effects on Brazil, and there is a lot of news around the construction of the stadiums for the event. I have mixed feelings about this year's World Cup. I have a friend who is Brazilian, and he seems to feel much the same way.

For example, several construction workers have died in a rush to complete the stadiums, as they are behind schedule: BBC News - Brazil World Cup 2014: Court halts stadium construction
    There have been protests around the amount of money being spent on the World Cup: BBC News - Protests disrupt Fifa visit to Brazil World Cup venue

Who do you support and will you watch the World Cup?
    --- merged: Dec 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM ---
    Oh, and here's a link to a cool infographic on who got the toughest draw: Who has the hardest World Cup 2014 draw? – interactive | Football | theguardian.com Poor Australia!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  2. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

US in group of death.with eventual winner...Germany...mark my words...xoxoxoo

3. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Yep, they'd all be in a group together. Just getting out of the group phase will be a miracle :( I suspect we have it worse off than you Bobby. Chile is a good side too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

I support USA, but am picking the home country to take it.

Neymar? David Luis? Give me some of that.

Incidentally, I'll be there to watch it. Will provide updates from the beaches of Rio baby :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

VIVA ESPANA

6. pig

spain ain't doing it this year. their time has passed.

brazil looks good. i just hope england doesn't embarrass itself, and i wish france would show up. damn i miss zizzou :(

7. snowy

Super jelly.
    --- merged: Dec 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM ---
    Yeah, I hope your predictions are correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  8. pig

for me, what would be absolutely banging (but highly improbable) would be a replay of '98, with brazil taking it over france just as france did over brazil with zidane and petit leading from the midfield. brazil looks very strong this year. and since i'll be hanging with some brazilians in brazil, more than likely - i guess i'd better be a good guest :)

i'd like to see steven gerrard captain england well into the knock-out rounds, and i'd like to see the usa get out of the group stage.

i'll more or less pull for your oranje snowy, as i generally like their style of play except for that psychotic asshole who plays d-mid, and i've got a lot of dutch friends.

"you're not much unless you're dutch..."

/pig

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Wow, it's here! I can't believe how time flies. Coverage begins at 3pm Eastern today.

A TV guide for American fans: 2014 FIFA World Cup TV Schedule - ABC News

The Dutch play tomorrow in a rematch of the 2010 final v. Spain, and the US plays Ghana on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'm Ghana have to see that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pig

Yep - about 2-1/2 hours from Croatia-Brazil kickoff. Good luck to all who have a vested interest in the outcomes. For now, I'm pulling for the States...
    --- merged: Jun 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM ---
    yes yes snowy: i promise i'll pull for those dirty dutch too :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

You better, or no snowy pizza for you, ever, mr. @pig!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  13. pig

snowy: this was all fun, games and banter until you threw that in. big trouble missy, big big trouble. :p

seriously - about an hour away. i'm headed to go watch the opener with my old highschool soccer coach. this should be sweet. and yes, i'm pulling for the brazilians in this one. i didn't make it down there, but i'm pulling from afar :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

15. snowy

This game is INSANE! Prior to the match, all the commentators were saying, "Oh, Brazil hasn't lost at home since the 1970s" blah blah blah blah blah. Well, Croatia is up 1-0 due to some shitty defense by Brazil, and Brazil has utterly failed to gain any kind of traction. In the last few minutes, they've had several shots on the Croatian goal with no result.

16. cobra614

cobra614 New Member

Being cocky does not guarantee that your team will win..sitting back on the laurels of recent wins will make for complacency, based on the score that you touted...we shall see who emerges victorious...

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

Agreed.

18. snowy

3-1 with Brazil taking the match. Croatia showed a lot of grit but in the end they couldn't make it happen, and the calls were definitely in Brazil's favor.

19. pig

That penalty absolutely changed the nature of the game, and in my opinion was a crap call. Mattress back. Croatia had the better of it in the second half up until that point in my opinion. I hope they go through.

• Like Like x 1
  20. healer

healer Extra Medium

As it happens, I drew Croatia in our pool draw at work yesterday before the opening ceremony. I wasn't too happy, but after their gritty performance last night I feel a bit better.

I'll be rooting for the Netherlands in their game against Spain tonight (Hup Holland!). I hope they can go all the way this year, but their path past the group stage will be very difficult if they don't win their group. I'm wearing my Oranje in support - I even pulled out my orange Pumas I bought in 2010! :D

• Like Like x 2