1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Would you have been proactive/brave/involved enough to take this action?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Borla, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I stumbled upon this story tonight:

Air marshal accused of taking photos under skirts

My wife, upon hearing this story, immediately asked "Would you have done that?" I said "Take pictures up a woman's skirt?!?" She said "No, would you grab a stranger's cell phone away and do what that witness did?" I told her that I wasn't sure without being in the situation and knowing all of the variables.

I asked her what she thought I would do. She said she believes that if I was confident a guy was violating a woman's privacy that way that I would do just that. She thinks I would grab it away. She said at the very least she believes I would speak up and turn him in to either security or the flight attendant.

There are a lot of variables at play, mainly how sure I would have to be that that is what is going on.

So I ask you, what do you think you would do in that situation?
    How blatant would it have to be for you to act?
    How likely would you be to physically interfere versus verbally pass the info along?

2. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

When I first started at the bookstore a year ago, we had a customer in the children's department taking pictures up women's skirts (the adult ones. Still horribly creepy and wrong, but when I say children's department, I feel like I should specify...). I was assisting someone in finding a book, and saw him before he saw me, so I snuck off to grab my manager. My manager called the police and grabbed the ASM, and they cornered him as discretely as they could. The police finally showed up and took him away.

It was fucked up.

As an associate, I'm not technically allowed to approach customers for things like this. The rule of the company is manager or higher, solely due to maintaining the safety of the bookseller, and since I was extremely new, I didn't want to mess anything up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Go you. Any idea what happened to him?

4. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I know they arrested him, but I never checked what happened after. I knew he caught wind of my managers following him around, so I think he deleted a lot of the pictures by the time the police got there. So he had a few left, but not all of them, I guess. he got arrested and banned from our store though, so it's something.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Yes, I would do so.
    I've always defended the bullied and potentially hurt...and it has cost me too for the act.

Even at jobs, when I knew my staff was at risk for harm, I did the appropriate thing, took it to HR...and the company forced me out.
    At another, I confronted another large man bullying a few smaller.

And outside, if I see someone in need, I'll assist or do what's necessary.

If only more people would get involved, or there weren't consequences for doing the right thing, this world would be a better place.
    I couldn't live with myself otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I think I would have gone to security.
    I don't think I would have grabbed his phone. That's starting a physical confrontation which is not something I'm looking for while waiting to board a flight.

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I wouldn't have grabbed his cell phone, but I would have notified someone.

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The problem is this...since he's an authority figure...they are given the benefit of the doubt.

2nd problem is...sometimes they use it for their advantage, create a diplomatic scene that allows them to CYA.

I could see this occuring, the person telling the stewardess...the stewardess not wanting to create a confrontation, brings the guy aside for discretion.
    Whispering...and not knowing the accuser and their credibility, asks the guy if this is true... he states, but of course not, you know these passengers.
    And so he slides away, nobody knowing wiser.
    And I make you a bet this may have happened before. Often one caught, has gotten away before with it.

In this case, the accuser created a situation where the spotlight was on them.
    Had the object already, so it can be shown openly...and looked through in front of multiple witnesses.
    It's a risk...but it got it out in the open.

This is how subtle bad people get away, the leverage the system and people inclination to not confront.
    And even those in charge do not want to confront...they're often even skeptical of the idea.

9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Perhaps. But, I don't think encouraging everyone to confront strangers and attempt to take their possessions out of their hands when you suspect they are doing something wrong is the way to go.

10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I would address the situation, but I think that's largely influenced by my profession and my career goals. I AM an authority figure, and often see myself on par with people in these roles since I have to cooperate with them as part of my profession. I'm not sure that grabbing the dude's phone was the best way to go about it, though.

11. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Nope. I wouldn't care.

While micro-camera technology has improved, there are just so many pictures and videos on-line already that it isn't worth the risk for me to want to try and get those shots. Unless you get off and like the thrill of taking the pictures, then it isn't really about the photo, it is more about being able to get the shot.

He should have used the excuse that we was looking for underwear bombs. ;)

12. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Personally, I wouldn't.

Unless someone's life is in danger or something I think it is better to just be a passer by. Wouldn't condone what the guy was up to, but its none of my business and I dont feel passionate enough about it to get involved.

13. While I don't advocate a physical confrontation in situations like this ( you can never predict what level of crazy you are engaging), I'd like to think I'd try to find some authority to inform. If or when I find myself in a situation, I'll find out.