1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Wow, this is impressive. School Superintendent gives back $800k.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

http://news.yahoo.com/school-superintendent-gives-800k-pay-150206667.html

Talk about putting your money where your mouth is! Sure he gets to use some of that money to help projects he prefers, but how many people in that position would do the same thing? Even with a healthy retirement, $800k is a LOT of money. He deserves a massive amount of praise by his community. Great story to read. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Agreed :)

3. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

good karma, maybe more executives/CEOs, people making too much more for their lifestyle should do the same..... you'd think that would make world a better place.... but then again, people are inherently greedy....

4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

The biggest reason this is making news is that is so out of the ordinary. Good on him!

5. inBOIL New Member

Good for him. I've been to Fresno. That shithole needs all the help it can get.

6. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Maybe if all the overpaid administrators just took a permanent pay cut, then the schools would operate within reasonable budgets. The fact that this guy is confident he can live without his exorbitant salary really says something to me about how overpaid these people are. Especially compared to the people who do the actual work of educating our chilluns.

7. Not everyone can afford to follow his example I suspect, but small kindnesses on your road in life make the world a better place, one hopes. We can all aford to be a little bit kindly cant we?

8. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

That is mind blowing. I'm not sure I would be able to do that. Not so much because I would want the money for me, though I can't help thinking about how many awesome guns that could buy, but because I want to leave as much as possible for my boys when I pass on. 800k would go a long way to make sure my boys are taken care of.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, technically he's a retire-rehire--the state will still be paying him money in the form of a pension.

10. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Let me backtrack a little, as I sounded more of an ass than I intended. It is a very nice thing that he is doing. It does seem that the pay of school administration is way out of proportion. The drive to pay the people at the top, commensurate with private industry, hasn't worked out in a positive way. IMO

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It depends on the school district. First off, he's the guy at the top. He's essentially a CEO, running an organization with thousands of employees and thousands of customers. His pay isn't even close to what a CEO of a similarly sized company would be making.

As for administration costs: Part of the problem is that regulations such as No Child Left Behind and other standards-based education laws at the state level have led to the development of administration at the district level that wasn't there before. The requirements enacted by these laws mean that there has to be someone at that level overseeing curriculum and instruction, and ensuring that the district's curriculum and instruction meets standards. Larger districts have more administrators. Whether or not they actually need them is a point that could be argued. Personally, I think having all of those administrators at the district level takes power away from principals to run effective schools. It means that principals also have to spend more time playing politics. I should note that my father is a retired high school principal and worked as a curriculum and instruction administrator in science and math education for a handful of years, so I've seen how this all plays out in real life. As for pay--my father earned every one of those dollars he brought home, and compared to other fields, he was being paid far less for his Master's degree and experience.

12. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I, too, think that principals are more important to the job of education than the top-heavy administrative structure. A good principal can make a good school.

No Child Left Behind, should be left behind. It has done nothing but spend money badly, and mucked things up, taking money away from where it will be most effective, at the teaching level.