1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

You know you're getting old when....

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Baraka_Guru, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Your eldest nephew hits high school....

and

One of your favourite albums from high school is re-released in a deluxe edition for its 20th anniversary....

There are many others. Share yours.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Python

Python Getting Tilted

...I got nothing. Perhaps I'm still young. By the looks of it, so are you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Pearl Jam's Ten? Cause that one kind of hit me. Plus a lot of the songs I listened to growing up are now on the Classic/Retro stations.

That and when I realize or think about what my parents were doing when they were my age. I am the oldest, and they had me when they were 20 and 19, so I can think back to pretty much exactly what was going on when they were in their 30s like I am. I thought they were old and responsible, and I refuse to think of myself that way, even though I probably am.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Nirvana's Nevermind for 2011. It's a nice looking set: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind#2011_Deluxe_Edition

When my father was my age, he had five kids and another on the way. Seriously, wtf....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Your offspring hits 30.

The guy complimenting me on my "antiqued" motorcycle jacket is younger than the jacket is.

Your favorite album from high school was actually purchased as a vinyl album, then again as a cassette, yet again as a cd, and is now being rereleased as a special edition remastered boxed set.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I grew up on that one too.

My parents had three kids at my age, and I was just about to become a teenager.

• Like Like x 1
  7. This. A couple of years ago I found myself thinking "WTF is (insert band or singer here) doing on a classic rock station?", and I've found this thought happening more and more frequently :p It was then I realized I was getting old. That, and realizing I'd rather stay in and watch a movie than go to a club. The very thought of going to a club makes me tired.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Two that stick in my head -
    this has only happened once specifically that I recall - Intently reading my wife's lips from across the room at perhaps ten or twelve feet and not hearing a word she said even then.
    There have been more times where people talk to my back in a quiet room and actually think I will hear them on a regular basis. That is a hit or miss thing some days. And these people know me.

and the time that our now four year old was much younger and toddled her way over to me with the "pick me up" look. I could not pick her up that instant as I could hardly walk myself with the major discomfort in whatever knee was griping for those five minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. A man is as young as he feels .................... after trying to prove it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I know I'm getting old, because I was swapping old injury stories with a guy in the gym. Knees, elbows, shoulders...etc

Can't get up without groaning, ha

• Like Like x 1
  11. While directing a HS show, I was telling a bunch of drama nerds why my face was droopey..MS thing

ZS: Sorry about the Mary Jo Buttafuco Face.
    HS Drama Nerd: Who is Mary Jo Buttafucco?
    ZS: The Wife in the Amy Fisher scandal!?! Long Island Lolita!?! It was in '92 or something.
    HS Drama Nerd: Zombie, I wasn't even born until '94.
    ZS: I hate you young kids so hard core right now.

Working for a University I bitch about the young college kids all the time. That makes me feel old. Hell, I bitch about the non-traditional (25+) students too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

When you cannot wait to stay in on a Friday night. When you have to hold products 3 feet away from your face to read them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

When you say "Kids today and the Noise they listen to!" And realize you're not joking.
    When half your favorite musicians are dead.
    When you are explaining to someone that you like classic rock, and name some bands, and the say, "Oh, you mean oldies."
    When you're surfing pr0n and find a dead ringer for your daughter. (Also one of the more disturbing things that's ever happened to me.)
    When 40 year old women start being more attractive to you than 18 year olds.
    When you can say, "I've been doing it this way for decades," and mean it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I purchased Rogaine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

When you have concerns about whether you're getting enough fiber in your diet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

When your first grandchild is due in less than a month.
    When your teenage daughter freaks out because you are dating a 23 y.o.
    When said 23 y.o. is more mature than your 43 y.o. ex-wife.

• Like Like x 3
  17. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

My father never got to my age. He died in '76 at the age of 52 when I was 20.
    Back then, they didn't worry about about cholesterol, or high blood pressure or trans fats or blood thinners, etc.
    They just ate too much, got hardening of the arteries and croaked. If the cigarette didn't get them first, or the diabetes....

• Like Like x 1
  18. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Only half of your favourites? My list includes Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc. etc. A great portion of them have been gone for at least 25 years or more. Although Sinatra only died 13 years ago now that I think of it. But Keith Green brings that number higher as next year is the 30th anniversary of his death.
    Can't go with the 40 year old range in general yet but the 18-20 year old girls I see shopping at work at 2 in the morning all look like damn young kids to me, and far too many of them forgot to finish getting dressed before they went out in public.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Okay B_G, this is your thread but I am not getting old--it's 'older.'
    The worst is having to slip on some glasses with my contact lenses if I don't want to pull a muscle by overextending my arm to read so-called small print.
    Second most annoying is if I don't do yoga-type stretching every day my left hip hurts the following day.
    Not to be too morbid but my mom died earlier this year. As my brother put it we lost a (psychological) buffer between us and death.
    Oh yes, the most sobering one: when I'm out in public I've become invisible to men under age 40 while guys who to me look like old guys are looking. I suppose I should be grateful that I'm not completely invisible. I have perhaps another 10 years to go.

• Like Like x 1
  20. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

couldn't say it any better...

and check out derwood's video thread in art, photography, music, and literature...

• Like Like x 1