1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

You may wish to revisit your retirement plans...

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Craven Morehead, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Adjust your retirement savings accordingly, my friends. We're going to live forever.

Scientists claim 72 is the new 30 - FT.com

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sweet!

At dinner with my parents and in-laws on Saturday, my MIL said, "Oh, but as soon as you both have careers, you need to start saving for retirement!" Um...we've got loans to pay off first. I'm sure there will be some consideration for retirement, but I doubt I'll retire until I'm in my 70s...and that's okay. I'm pretty sure keeping up with my students will keep me young!

3. If 72 is the new 30 then I am in my 20s.

You have no idea how great that is. :D

• Like Like x 3
  4. AtypicNic

AtypicNic Vertical

Ehh, I don't want to work until I am 70. Call me weird, but I don't want to work until I am 60 either! Crazy, right? :p

With this longer lifespan, methinks this world is going to become even more-so overpopulated...in the dense population regions. I dislike that.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I figure by the time I am 60 I will be ready to start a new career. I can save more then.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Whatever.

Quality of life over life itself, folks.

I'm still offing myself at 65 to avoid the inevitable crippling joint pain and inability to control my bladder.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Dude, by the time you're 65, you're gonna have bionic joint replacement and a cyberbladder installation. No probs. It will be like laser eye surgery. In and out on your lunch break. That, and you'll have the self-surgery option to save you a few thousand yuan.

I'm more worried about this retirement thing. I should really start planning for it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

According to osteologists the human skull rebuilds itself every 7 years. Non-articular cartilage continues to grow (ears and noses).

Just because we can keep our brains functioning until 1xx doesn't mean we should. Legions of shambling drooling zombies.

Relevant: 6 Obnoxious Old People Habits (Explained by Science)

• Like Like x 1
  9. You're already on your way Plan9, #4 in spades. :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm with you -- I want to live as long as I can live well. I want to think that in the next forty years that number will be into the eighties or nineties, if not past 100. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I could do with a couple of centuries of life, so long as my mental faculties stay intact. I got shit to do, yo.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I have a purpose here, my friend.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The £200 Millionaire

I want to retire before I am 40. At least to the point where I don't need to work anymore to have enough money to pay the bills...the few that I might still have.

I am willing to do some different things that most normal people won't do to make it.

13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Of course there are things we can do now, at thirty, forty, fifty, to avoid, or at least mitigate, some of those problems of aging.
    My great uncle likes to say that when he was in his twenties he couldn't imagine why in the world anyone would even want to live to be seventy, but that when he was 69 it looked very different.:D

14. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

This may explain why I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up :p

I read an article that the first person to live past 150 will be born by 2040. I'm not sure that is a good thing. With stem-cell induced plasticity in normal tissue, we've gotten to the point where we can grow entire new organs, and are actually starting to do so. I've seen replacement trachea and noses so far, and more complex organs won't be far behind. What I'm not sure we will be able to do is integrate new brain tissue. The plasticity of the human brain is remarkable, but simply replacing worn out tissue likely won't deal with the issue of extending the personality and memory. There is something inherently different about that, and I'm not sure we're even close to figuring out what that difference is.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I am busting my ass to start a new, physically and mentally challenging career. When I graduate, I will be almost 50. So, I better still be working at 70 and I will work as long as I can after 70. I'm a pretty healthy person for my age. I think I will make it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm already retired twice and looking for a third. Touch and go whether we could afford it now; but my threshold of boredom isn't up to unemployment, let alone retirement.
    I've been working on #4 since my thirties. #1 is kinda humorous, my reputation runs the other direction.

17. AtypicNic

AtypicNic Vertical

What exactly is it that you are going to be doing...or did I miss sarcasm in your post?

18. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I don't want to live forever. I don't want to die soon, but can't see wanting to hit 100 either. I'm toying with the idea of becoming a doctor after 50 though, so I'm counting on twenty plus years after that. 30 max.

19. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Nursing.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

If I do things right, I want to retire by 58. Then I have other idea's of what I want to do, we will see.