1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your Blanket Situation

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by snowy, Mar 31, 2012.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

When poking around the Internets yesterday I came across this piece:

from: Scandinavian Style: Two Duvets on One Bed | Apartment Therapy

It put me in mind of when my husband and I first got together. We used separate comforters because I prefer a heavier comforter and he likes a lighter one. When we got a new bed, we bought a comforter to share with a duvet. We share, but not always comfortably; sometimes we switch back to separate blankets, especially on nights with lots of tossing and turning. I still sleep with an extra comforter on top of the duvet. I also like extra blanket--I like to burrito myself.
    How about you? Have you ever tried using two separate comforters to avoid relationship conflict? Do you have a hard time sharing the blankets?

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Lordeden and I have to use two completely different sets of blankets. Sheets, comforter, the whole she-bang. He's a total blanket hog. :rolleyes:

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I guess the Mrs and I are European at heart. We've used his and hers blankets for years. She likes to pull blankets up over her head and air out her toes. My feet freeze.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Like you, we have a king sized comforter on a queen sized bed.

But we also have tons of blankets all over the house.
    We believe in comfort at home.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

We have two sets of blankets. Sometimes we'll still share when we are falling asleep, or more often when it's morning and we are laying in bed awake together for a few minutes. But she is a violent sleeper who likes a lot of covers all twisted around her. I lay fairly still and am usually good with a sheet, or a sheet and a blanket over my legs.

6. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Single duvet and covers here; always been that way. My wife complains I hog the blankets, but I'm the one who usually ends up with their ass uncovered :p Can't say as I mind that much since I tend to like very light covering at night. Besides, if I'm cold I know where the heat is, and even after an eternity and a half of marriage, she never complains about my being too close at night ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

That's one problem we have never had.
    He just complains if the bed isn't made everyday, in which I don't do it everyday. I barely have time to let the dog out and brush my teeth in the morning. :eek:

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It took us over 10 years, but we finally went with the two sets of blankets recently. This was for a number of reasons.

1. I tend to steal. Not for myself, mind you, but for the poor: I deposit the blankets on the floor.
    2. She tends to think the sheet is arbitrary, which I think is a barbaric thought.
    3. We have different ideas of how blankets are to be used. She "cocoons"; I like mine high and loose.
    4. We have different temperature tolerances; she gets cold easily, while I overheat easily.
    5. She goes to bed 1 to 3 hours before I do each night. It's much, much easier coming to bed without disturbing her if I don't have to peel her "cocoon."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

We have 2 sængs from Iceland. It works so much better than the 1 queen size down comforter. We bought ours from Dún og fiður about 7 years ago. They were not cheap and continue to challenge us because we get new linens for them when we go to Iceland. We've thought about having some duvet covers made for them. We have the material ready just haven't had them made yet.

Some say that it's no "cozy" or "cuddly" because they are two separate covers. That's just silly, We still share space under both of them, just no reason to have one affect the other when it's cold out.

Besides, if you like to stick your foot out for temperature control, think about this, you can only put out the foot that's not in the middle. I can do either depending on which I prefer.

10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

OMG, I thought it was just us (and our cleaning lady who says she and her husband also do the same thing with the blankets)! Mrs. Levite and I each have our own set of topsheet, blankets and/or comforters. Mrs. Levite is almost always chilly, and I am almost always warm, so we nearly never want the same level of coverage; and she just slips under the blankets and huddles, while I tend to tuck and twist the blankets around myself, often leaving a foot out for temperature control. We have a king size bed, and two sets of queen-size blankets and comforters. And the little dog sleeps between us.

Edit: also, Mrs. L goes to bed several hours before I do, apparently much like @Baraka_Guru's missus. Many fewer problems with two set of blankets and sheets-- and we both do like a topsheet, BTW.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  11. snowy

This is why I prefer a duvet. I hate a top sheet; I feel like I'm going to be strangled by it. Luckily for me, my husband hates sheets too.

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I like the feel of the light and soft top sheet as an intermediary between me and the duvet/comforter. I hate the feel of the heavier covers directly on my skin. A nice cotton sheet is like a comfortable pair of underwear between me and my jeans.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Queen size bed, King size duvet.

I generally only have part of me under it, I'm very tall, and my feet are happiest out the bottom end. I usually throw the duvet into the middle of the bed. Mrs Daniel likes it over her from neck to feet and beyond.

In winter, we have a faux fur throw that goes over the top.

The problem with twin duvets is that you get to the edge of the duvet too easily.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

I really wish we'd gone with a king-size duvet/comforter when we bought ours. It would have worked out better, I think. I hate the space that results between us when we're both trying to roll the blanket under ourselves and we're facing opposite directions.

15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

We have a full size bed with an over-sized queen comforter. My husband is a heater, so he uses only a sheet for most of the year. During those times we usually have 2 top sheets on the bed - one on top of the other, not beside each other. We do this because he usually wraps himself in a cocoon with one sheet and I just loosely use the second sheet. He usually folds over the comforter onto me to make me doubly warm. It works well. In the winter, I add a couple of small blankets under the comforter for myself and he still usually tosses most of the comforter in my direction. I have no idea how he always gives me all the blankets, especially since we switch up who sleeps on which side every few nights. There have only been a couple of times over the past 6 years where the blankets ended up on the floor on the other side of him. He says I don't take the covers from him, but sometimes I wonder.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm totally seeing the advantages of two blankets.

Minor problem:

I use the blanket.

She uses me.

...how do I get two of me?

• Like Like x 2
  17. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I'm perfectly fine to sleep without a blanket and usually my partner can take as much as they want.

18. nikkiana New Member

My boyfriend and I seem to be pretty good at sharing most of the time, though occasionally we'll use a sheet or another blanket as a buffer in between the two of us when things get too hot and sweaty to be comfortable sleeping conditions.... but my ex and I had to have separate blankets when we slept. I usually had the comforter and he had his favorite blanket that he slept with.

19. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I sleep alone. I have Kingsize bed with two kingsize duvets, to provide a bit of weight. I do not like separate sheets, and when I sleep away from home, I always feel uncomfortable with the sheets and blankets way of sleeping: multiple layers to displace at different extents to create insoluble problems when I wake up in the middle of the night.

20. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Like several of you, I thought I was the minority on this one! One bit of advice I always give to newlyweds is Separate Blankets! Mistress Moose and I have done it this way for our entire 12 years of marriage. We each have our different comfort ranges and texture preferences, and don't care for human contact while asleep, so why try to force anything?