1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your most useful/essential stuff in life

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DamnitAll, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Name one (or more) tool/gadget/object you use in your daily life or for work that has improved either your home and/or work life so much that you couldn't imagine functioning at the same level of productivity/sanity/happiness without it.

If you possess such an item or items, how has it made your life better?

What inspired you to obtain it, and how was it procured?

Now that you have it, how do feel you had been able to manage without it?

My own example: the Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet. Having received it as a Christmas present a few years back, there are probably fancier, more expensive, more up-to-date versions on the market now—I'm just glad to have the one I have. I find myself using it with increasing frequency at work. It's a lifesaver for doing detailed graphic editing (as opposed to using a mouse) and comes in extremely handy to ward off carpal tunnel symptoms associated with excessive mouse use, especially since I mouse with my right hand and use the tablet's stylus with my left hand. Admittedly I can manage fine without it—it just makes so many things that I do at work easier and more efficient, even at times more fun.

What about you?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Home: my Chromecast! I listen to music while I get stuff done at home, and the Chromecast lets me seamlessly stream from Google Music on my phone to the television.

Work: my smartphone, for a variety of reasons, especially since upgrading to the S6. I do the majority of my scheduling via email, and the smartphone means I never miss an email. I can set it so only my boss's notifications come through, too, so it's not disruptive. Also, the S Fit function on the S6 keeps track of my steps for the day, so I see how much I actually move at work (a lot). Plus, at home, it streams tons of stuff to my Chromecast, and I can use the timer to make sure I don't spend all day in front of the computer. I need to get back to using Pomodroido.

In leisure, the S6 was able to give me accurate mileage of how much I hiked this weekend, so that was cool, too.

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My cameras. Especially the film cameras, with the 45 year old model there is a distinct pleasure with the action of manually advancing the roll to the next frame and knowing the entire process is manual. The digital options will come and go in the active use roster as they are upgraded but my film cameras (roughly 44+ and 25 years old) will very likely still be used then or replaced if needed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

My duster

[​IMG]

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Also, in leisure:

[​IMG]

I bought this for my husband our first Christmas together. I inherited because he inherited his grandfather's classic Leatherman. Believe me, these things are incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

My essential tools are my laptop and my cell phone because with those things I can do my job and without them I cannot. So, yeah, that's pretty much essential by the literal definition of the word. I actually don't need anything else, though I have a pretty extensive list of nice-to-haves. A good broadband connection tops the list, since tethering is slow and a pain in the ass.

I try not to get overly attached to material goods. In my ideal life I would have nothing at all that is deemed essential apart from what I need to ply my trade and thereby earn money to eat and shelter and clothe myself. But I'd be pretty bummed if I didn't have my Playstation anymore. And even as I type that out and look at the words staring back at me I can't help but think it's kind of sad.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Another to add: my reusable menstrual cup, or perhaps more aptly named, the Silicone Cup of Wonder (thanks, @GeneticShift).

I purchased my first cup about eighteen years ago. Made of gum rubber, it lasted a good eight years before the rubber starter to become brittle and dry. I replaced it with a silicone cup and haven't looked back.

Mastering its use came with a bit of a learning curve, but that—plus whatever squeamishness I might have felt in the beginning as I became accustomed to using it, especially in public restrooms—had been far outweighed by the overall convenience and cost savings over time. I can't even imagine how much money I've saved, much less environmental waste from disposable products, in the time since I started using a cup.

Plus it's pretty cool to dump out a cup of blood every few hours. Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Someone should make one of those that looks like some kind of rune covered sacrificial chalice on the outside. Call it the Metalstrual cup.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I second this, I carry mine almost every day.

11. This tool keeps me sane. After work i go for a blast to get the insanity of my days work out of my head. A friend once said, "You can think of nothing but the trees, rocks and dirt in front of you as you hurl yourself with reckless abandon down the mountain."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Diddo...and my car. I like going places and doing things.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The monitor I added to my iMac.

For years, I worked on a 13" Macbook and an additional monitor that was maybe 17". It was a good setup that I stacked vertically.

But when I replaced my Macbook with a 21.5" iMac, I added a 22" monitor to it (set up horizontally). This gave me unprecedented screen real estate. I love it so much that I can't understand how I worked without it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

We need to get you some superwide wallpapers now.

15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

oh...I forgot.
    My Brain

when it works...well, even when it doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  16. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I love this topic. Thank you!
    Motherhood Essentials:
    My breast pump and all the various accessories I prefer to use with it each time. Having a double electric breast pump makes it so much easier and faster to express milk.
    A sling. Carrying a baby while chasing a toddler at the park? Yeah, a sling really helps. Frees up the hands.

Microscopy Essentials:
    Diamond knife and ultramicrotome for sectioning
    An assortment of light and/or beam stable staining options

A smart phone. Being able to check email on the go is really very helpful.

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Name one (or more) tool/gadget/object you use in your daily life or for work that has improved either your home and/or work life so much that you couldn't imagine functioning at the same level of productivity/sanity/happiness without it.
    My glasses. If I didn't wear them, I wouldn't see as well and watching TV and Movies would be next to impossible.

If you possess such an item or items, how has it made your life better?
    I use my eyes for work. I suppose I could sit closer to the TV, but it wouldn't be the same.

• Like Like x 1
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I have a new Intreped dial indicator with a positional post and a 2 inch needle. That tool has made work less frustrating and I use it daily.