1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Your simplest cooking tips, tricks or recipes

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by curiousbear, Oct 25, 2013.

1. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

Have you ever wanted to share your simplest cooking tips, tricks, recipes?
    Not elaborated detailed advanced cooking procedure or recipe. May be that should be separate thread.
    I will post some of mine
    --- merged: Oct 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM ---
    Eating plain white rice each time? How about a cumin flavor. For every cup or white rice, add 1/4 tea spoon of cumin seeds, just 3 black pepper balls, 1/4 tea spoon of unsalted butter. Cook them all together.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Simplest tip: use fresh herbs.

It can make a big difference in flavour.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Call for a pizza....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Don't let ZombieSquirrel poison you.

Also, let your meat rest both before and after cooking, especially red meat.

I typically take steaks out of the fridge 4+ hours before I plan on throwing them on the grill. Roasts I take out further ahead of time. Even chicken or ribs I take out 2-3 hours ahead of time. I always leave the stuff wrapped up, but it makes a HUGE difference if the meat is closer to room temperature before cooking it. It allows you to get the middle of the cut to the proper temp without burning the outside, and gives a more even consistency. I'm sure the FDA would throw a fit about how far ahead I take some of my meat out, but as long as it is properly packaged and has been properly stored, I don't worry about it. Then, AFTER you cook it, let it rest. For really large chunks of meat (pork shoulders, brisket) I'll wrap it in foil and let it rest for an hour or more (sometimes in a cooler or an oven that is turned off). For medium sized roasts, maybe 15-20 minutes. For steaks, chicken, or smaller cuts, at least 10 minutes. If you cut into the meat and end up with a pool of juice on your plate, you probably didn't let it rest long enough.

I've found that doing both has a big impact on ease of cooking to the right temp, and the flavor.

• Like Like x 4
  5. nobody likes you Borla

• Like Like x 3
  6. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

Did you mean nobody else???

• Like Like x 2
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Tofu needs to have its moisture removed before cooking. The most efficient way to accomplish this is by using the microwave.

Try hitting your chocolate chip cookies with a bit of sea salt right as they come out of the oven.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I always add a little sea salt to the mix before baking. Salt is the key to superior chocolate chip cookie.

• Like Like x 1

9. Honest grilling noob question: Is there a way to let the meat rest after cooking, while still retaining some of the heat? Every time I grill something and let the meat rest afterward, even underneat tinfoil, I either end up with a lukewarm slab of meat or a puddle of juice on the plate. It seems that there's very, very little in-between wiggle room.

Honestly, one of the biggest tips that I have, is to experiment. If two or more ingredients sound like they'd be tasty together, give it a shot! The worst that happens is that you end up with something that is seasoned wrong and tastes funny. I've found some of my favorite recipes this way.

GeneticShift is the queen of this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Add a few pieces of ice to your cereal bowl to keep your milk cold while you eat your cereal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

When following recipes calling for garlic, use at least double the amount.

Consider adding garlic even when they don't call for it.

Don't be afraid. Garlic is awesome.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Salt your pasta water "saltier than the sea" and drizzle with a high quality olive oil to keep from sticking. It makes a huge difference.

Don't skimp on quality when it comes to meat or vegetable or fresh herbs in your ingredients.

And make sure your pan is well oiled or lubricated. Stuck food doesn't taste good and makes a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Grill bigger pieces of meat. :p

Seriously, a roast or pork shoulder, wrapped in foil, should stay hot a long time. But one trick for small cuts is to turn your oven on for 3-5 minutes. Not even enough to get it up to 200* (you do NOT want to cook the meat while resting, so don't let it get too hot), just enough to get it warm. Wrap the meat (or tent the plate of meat) in foil and throw it in a slightly warm oven for a few minutes to rest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I like to cook, I don't do anything too fancy. In general my wife is the one who cooks, with help from me, the more elaborate meals.

My favorite ready-to-use marinade is fat free Zesty Italian dressing (not the creamy). I like to use it on 'lighter' meats such as chicken, fish, etc. The trick is don't leave it marinating too long, the vinegar & salt will start to 'cook' the edges of the meat, & it can make outer part of chicken breasts tough (same advice applies to the below mentioned marinade).

I also make up a quick marinade that can be used on a variety meats & even veggies--Two parts worcestershire sauce, one part soy sauce (I use the reduced sodium SS because we're not getting any younger), and a half part apple cider vinegar. This marinade isn't half bad, & it's easy to experiment with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Well, I agree with Baraka_Guru on his sentiments about garlic...can't go wrong with it.

Personally, I'm a big believer in not overcooking meat. Some just over do it, to excess.

And spice to taste...experiment, see what works. There is no rule.
    I've found some wonderful concoctions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

Quick peanut sauce (single serving):
    • 1 tbsp soy sauce (I use low sodium)
    • 1 tbsp sugar (darker is better)
    • 1/2 cup peanut butter
    • pinch or two crushed red pepper
    • add water/broth/lemon juice (any or all) to desired consistency
    Then you can add your own flavour as desired: ginger, garlic, basil, etc.

You can adjust the above ratios to taste as well. I tend to just eyeball this, so I'm just guessing at the measurements.

I normally make this with soba or rice noodles, which cook pretty quickly—usually under 5 min.

This can be mixed/topped with many things. Adding lightly stir-fried veggies is nice, of course. I like sprinkling hemp hearts on top, at least, if I'm too lazy for the veggies.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Clearly you are not a vampire.

• Like Like x 1
  18. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

Pay close attention to your temperatures - less is often more. If you are ending up with burned, undercooked, or both in the center, it'd be worth calibrating your oven by sticking a thermometer in there and seeing what the actual temperature is versus the dial.

I tend to opt for a lower temp and longer cooking time for most things. I find it helps build flavor a little better, especially in casseroles. Also, Do Not Keep Opening The Oven to Check! Every time you open the open you are releasing the hot air. Probably the only exception to this would be to rotate a pan.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Baraka_Guru

20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We do a lot of broiling. I turn the meat often so that it doesn't get dried out, esp. when broiling lean meats such as chicken breast, lean pork chops, etc. 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 is much better than 8 + 8. I've experimented with using the Hi and Lo settings for broiling, but I still prefer the meat to be about five inches away from the element on Hi.

A huge and emphatic +1 for plenty of garlic.

• Like Like x 1