1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your weather: Change one thing

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by fflowley, May 5, 2014.

1. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

You get to change one thing about the weather where you live.
    What would it be?
    I live in upstate NY.
    I would definitely change what goes for "spring" up here.
    We really don't have spring as most others define it. It's mud season at it's finest.
    We just have a prolonged winding down of winter. Think chilly and damp.
    Yesterday I was outside watching my little girls play. We were all wearing coats, hats, and gloves. The temp was in the low 40's with mixed showers of rain and snow pellets.
    In MAY. WTF?
    Today I put them on the school bus in coats, hats, gloves.

Enough of the eternal winter already. Can we just move on? I've been freezing my ass off since late November and have had enough!

2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I'm in southern Ontario - other than micro climate differences, it's not much different than upstate NY. It has been a long winter, and it's been so cool that the daffodils are competing with the crocuses and tulips to bloom. But I think this year was a little bit of an anomaly. Last year the spring was brutal. It stretched from St Patty's day to the May long weekend (the May 2-4 or Victoria day for us, Memorial day for you) it was dismal, cloudy rainy/snowy and the worst of all, very windy, for the whole time. My least fav time of year. Now with the amount of snow that we h ad this year, the ground is just covered with shit & detritus after it all melted. worse than most y ears, with cig butts and dog shit being the main culprits.

Ahh sweet spring.

Our summers are sometimes very brutally hot. 40 degrees with humidity added on. (not sure what 40 is in the F scale, around 90?). Last summer I drove down to San Antonio TX for a driving vacation. The temperatures there in July were 10 degrees cooler than in Toronto at the same time. I was feeling like we made the right call. Plus there were very strong thunder storms and flooding back home.

The more I think about it, Autumn is the best of all. Crisp clear and warm days (about 24 C the hell the F is I don't know... maybe 75) no humidity, cool nights and bright fall colours. By October/November we get the rains though, and the temperatures really drop off. Usually we get snow by mid December, but it doesn't stick until the January timeframe. At least not in the city.

3. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

More sun in the winter. It would combat some of the bitter cold and make me a LOT less depressed!

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's hard to say. Oregon's weather is unpredictable. There have been winters that were dry with very little rain. Hell, we almost ended up with a drought this winter! Additionally, that winter rain is important. It feeds our snowpack. We had an incredibly shitty ski season this winter, despite two massive snow events. So there are other tradeoffs, too. I had time to go skiing this winter, but no snow to do it with, so that was pretty terrible.

Generally, I like the weather here, but I grew up with it, and if I need some winter sun, Central Oregon is 3 hours away.

I would prefer it if in the summer it didn't go over 85. I'm just not meant for that kind of heat. Over 90 is unpleasant.

5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Humidity in summer. It has to go. It's fucking ridiculous here: it's often above 80%, and more than occasionally above 90%. Summer in Chicago is like living in a sauna, and I loathe it. I just abhor it. I'm not even that wild about dry heat, but humid heat is intolerable. I just spend the entire summer inside, with A/C full blast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I love Colorado weather. I'd prefer less forest fires and flooding. Fires scare me more.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This.

I don't mind the winter, though this past one was a bit extreme. But I hate when it is 92* F with 92% humidity.

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I wouldn't change the weather, I'd change how I react to it.
    Late falls or Rainy springs, I'm allergic to the mold from rotting foliage - coughing like a 70-year smoker.

But after living in San Diego for 12 years, where it's the same damn thing every single day. (misty in the morning, burn off in the noon, 70-75, no clouds)
    It gets boring, like time isn't moving.
    And my allergies were ALL year, not just a couple of weeks...there's no natural weather cycle to clear out the air.

Nope, I love the rain, love the clouds...heat or cold, love all the differences, even the rough stuff is exciting.
    Makes it feel the world is alive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I would change the temperature variation overall.

Toronto's average annual temperature fluctuates greatly. Annually, it ranges from an average low of 21 F to an average high of 77 F (a 56 F difference).

As a comparison, Miami ranges from an average low of 61 to an average high of 89 (a 28 F difference).

Sure, it gets hotter in Miami, but look at how much colder Toronto gets.

Insanity.

10. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

It's just too dang cold up here during winter. At times, we see -35 C. And, winter is just too long (Oct-April). :(

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Hot and humid. All. The. Time.

I would lower the humidity to a range of 50% to 70%.

The heat here is fine. Just get rid of the humidity and we are good to go.

12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'd just leave Louisiana. It got down to 12* this winter. It gets up into the 100s consistently in the summer.
    With 85% humidity being the lowest in the summer. 90-95 on average. :/
    I love the weather at home.
    I wouldn't change it.

13. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

and those are just averaged temperatures.

• Like Like x 2
  14. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

35 F this am.

15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Move some of our winter rains--both are arbitrary terms in Houston--to our summers.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I didn't want to appear alarmist.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

so, minus 40 C is about the same as -40 F. It's pretty damn cold in anybody's books, and we get that few times a winter in Toronto.

In Winterpeg (Winnipeg) Edmonton, Quebec City, Inuvik or Moscow, that would be acceptable. But Toronto? c'mon.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. After living in both Ohio and Oregon's Willamette Valley....you get more sun in Ohio.

It may snow and ice a lot...and cold as all get out, but you see the sun a LOT more in Ohio. The sun may only be up for a few hours, but it's not shrouded by a bunch of grey clouds. It's grey and dreary in the Valley. I absolutely HATE my area of Oregon in the winter. I prefer snow over the rain. It's not even real rain. It just spits at you. You're just cold and damp all the time. My hair looks terrible in the winter here. Ughhhh.

I know I can drive to better areas during the winter, but I don't want to drive. I want it to be better here. It defeats the purpose of living somewhere nice if I have to drive 3 hours to actually see the niceness. I would probably prefer the high desert, but that's not where my job is.

I also miss thunderstorms. That rarely happens here. I think I saw lightening once since living here.

Hate hate HATE Oregon winters.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I would change how quickly it cycles.

I love Michigan winters. I love Michigan summers. I love Michigan falls. I love Michigan springs.

I DON'T love when we have them all in the same day. This happens frequency.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jillymayr

jillymayr New Member

it's too hot and the pollen is getting out of hand so maybe send a little rain