1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

ZICAM Does it work?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DAKA, Apr 18, 2018.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I have been hearing that taking ZICAM at the onset of cold symptoms will reduce/alleviate cod symptoms.
    I have been taking it and it "seems" to help....but ?? Do I have only slight symptoms, or a very mild cold?
    Hard to tell if it is working.....any thoughts?

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

From what I've read, it might give your immune system a slight boost....at best. I'm guessing the Placebo Affect might be at work. Someone takes it thinking it's supposed to make them feel better, so they then believe they're feeling better.

You could snort crystal meth. That'll burn the germs out of your sinuses and make you feel MUCH more energetic :confused:.

/joke :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. DAKA

I have been feeling "that feeling in the back of your throat" for a few days, but it went away after the morning, so ??
    Yesterday the runny nose started...slight...I started the ZICAM at 4 in the morning, every 4-6 hours....the cold seems very mild..is it the ZICAM or just a very mild cold?
    This needs a GOMMINT grant and 1000 people with colds for placebo and actual treatment...( Not happenin' so I'll take the damn pills for a few days and see what develops)
    As for the METH, no tanks...never did any drugs of any kind....did I miss something growing up in the 50's and 60's?

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

First of all, it works
    And I’m a skeptic
    I’m not one for Airbourne or vitamins or other stuff at all...they’re gimmicks to me.

Everyone I’ve recommended it to said it works
    Including my mother, who’s an ex nurse and very aware of drugs and their affects.

The zinc that your body absorbs seems to block the cold receptors.

You can either take it before
    To potentially prevent a cold (not flu)
    No guarantees but it does help reduce the odds

OR you can take it during
    And it will potentially reduce the time you have it
    Or the strength of it
    Again, no guarantee but it helps

The only thing is I hate the taste of the tablet
    And the whole not eating, drinking for minutes
    Much less the citrus avoidance for longer

I tried the nose stuff, didn’t like it and it wasn’t as effective
    Tried the mouth spray and it works and liked it but you don’t get as many bang for buck applications

It’s a subtle thing not like cold meds
    But it does prevent taking meds in the first place

It’s been a great benefit not to lose as many sick days from work
    Especially since I took mass transit and all the sick slime/smog that comes with a volume of people

I don’t need it as much anymore since I work from home.
    But it still works when I take it

A few can’t take it

But I couldn’t recommend it more
    Try it out, see if it works for you.

5. omega

omega Very Tilted

Short term to treat a cold it doesn't work. Once a cold is in place a vitamin is not going to affect it. Vitamins don't have drug like effects. Watch out for niacin and the flushing effects though. In my experience vitamin supplements can help if you are deficient in general. Getting to your optimal amount will allow your body to perform more effectively. But beyond that megadoses don't increase performance or effectiveness. The question is, what is the right amount for each individual and does your current diet cover it? I'm convinced most people would benefit from a multivitamin or even some targeted supplementation. But that needs to be up to snuff before you get exposed to the cold virus. Megadosing after infection is simply too late. A little too much of any particular vitamin it s almost certainly better than too little for the average individual.

6. rogue49

Sorry @omega I’ll have to respectfully disagree
    While results may not work on certain individuals
    For most I’ve found it does

And it does help even if the cold takes hold
    It shortens and weakens it, much of the time.
    And you can use it at anytime, even short term.

It is not a vitamin
    It is not a megadose
    It is not something you take long term or continually
    Only during the time of a cold or just before

It’s an immediate and direct affect
    The zinc based chemical alters the ability of germs to reproduce

Vitamins are totally different.

7. omega

omega Very Tilted

You're right. Its not a megadose. It's a homeopathic product. And we all know that homeopathic products have a long history of effectiveness. So you may disagree with me, but facts matter. There are no legitimate scientific studies that show any effectiveness in reducing severity of symptoms or duration for the cold. Please stop peddling homeopathy here.

8. DAKA

Not a "legitimate scientific study" but, the Zicam does seem to be helping reduce the the severity of my cold.
    But, since I don't have any idea what this would have been like without the Zicam, I can only surmise that it is helping
    Good enough for me.....

9. omega

omega Very Tilted

Stop taking zicam. If your cold returns then you could reasonably argue that the zicam was working. But I bet the cold won't return. I would surmise that the zicam had no effect and that your body fought the cold as it has your entire life any time it gets exposed to a virus.

10. Chris Noyb

Setting aside the differing POVs, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

This does lead to a related thought--I could really go for some chicken veggie soup loaded with garlic. Even though I don't have a cold.

11. rogue49

No, Zicam or it’s generic is not a true homeopathic
    Airborne is one and otherwise, oils, minerals and such
    But it’s regulated as such under FDA definition

But the science behind it is real including studies that zinc can shorten and prevent colds.

Not flus, not allergies...I don’t peddle for anyone.

I do not care about marketing or hype. Zicam or otherwise. I work on facts and what works for me.
    I do read the studies in detail from legit sources and those with some volume of tests.

It’s nasal application is also shown not to trigger nasal issues as rumored.
    (Personally, I like the oral types anyway)

If it works for someone, great
    If it doesn’t, then try something else.
    (Ex: Tylenol doesn’t do crap for me. Zyrtec makes my mom sleepy, me I’m fine but it works for allergies)

All I’m saying to people, is try it
    see if it works for you
    If not, oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Ages ago I tried zinc longezes (sp). From what I could tell all they did was make my sore throat worse. Keep in mind this was early in the zinc "craze," I'm sure the various meds have improved over the years.

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

Some people think prayer works as well. Ymmv.

14. DAKA

Argue all you want, it does SEEM to have made my cold LESS SEVERE than the colds I usually get It SEEMS to be helping, and NO I will NOT STOP USING IT to see of my cold gets worse...that would be ridiculous, who want to MAYBE make a cold worse.
    And again YMMV WORKS FOR ME :) WINNER

• Like Like x 1
  15. omega

omega Very Tilted

Time to invoke Hitchen's razor. That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

16. rogue49

Well, show us yours
    We’ll show you ours
    :)

17. DAKA

RAZON SMAZOR..all I can say is it SEEMS from my past experience with colds, is that THIS ONE SEEMS pretty mild.
    Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.....

18. omega

omega Very Tilted

I dont have to prove zicam doesn't work. You have to prove it does work. That's why scientists use studies.

19. DAKA

Actually...I don't care if you believe it or not....
    I originally just asked if anyone had any "constructive" input

20. omega

omega Very Tilted

Constructive input doesn't have to agree with your views. A constructive view can be that you can save your money by not buying a quack homeopath remedy. There is no science which supports zicam. Whether you agree with that or not has nothing to do with that fact. Now if I were arguing for the opposite results of actual scientific testing, then that would be deconstructive.