1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Zoos, Museums, and Botanical Gardens -- What Are Your Favorites?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Japchae, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I love zoos. Really good ones. I like aquariums, too, but I love large animals in their "natural" habitats where I can breathe in fresh air... sometimes poop, but that's okay.
    One of my favorites is the National Zoo in D.C.

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

The Jacksonville Zoo is okay... but it's small.

I also love museums. The Smithsonian Asian art museum is one of my favorites, as is this one in KCMO that I can't remember the name of. I was lost in there for hours...

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

DC

IMG_1168a.jpg

I have some other great shots of these places, but I'm limited on the number of uploads.

I was going to check out some of the botanical gardens around here (Shangri-La in Orange, Texas, Avery Island in Louisiana) this weekend, but it's going to be raining. Same for the Houston Zoo, but I don't know much about it. So I thought I'd take a moment to ask around...

What are your favorite zoos? What makes them awesome?
    Same for museums and botanical gardens? Do you spring for the "extra" tours and such?
    Are they worth it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

We have Longwood Gardens, west of Philly. It's a huge botanical garden with beautiful displays and a variety of natural settings.

It's well known for its Christmas displays every year but it's a great trip at any time.

3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden is a reasonable size, and it's beautiful. They put together the botanical displays and the animal habitats, making for some beautiful scenes. I also like the very small Santa Barbara Zoo because of similar reasons - great plants, manageable size so you can enjoy the whole space in one day.
    The Newport Aquarium in Kentucky is stunning. But it is set up like a maze so I much prefer the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Aquarium of the Pacific.

My favorite garden is Versailles. Close second is Giverny. Kew is neat, as is the one in Brussles where they have their herbarium. In California, my favorites are The Huntington, followed by Descanso Gardens. I still need to make a trip to Longwood and MoBot. I could pilgrimage across the US for years just enjoying all the gardens...

• Like Like x 1
  4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'd have to say museums.
    The Met in New York is just amazing and there's a flight museum in Seattle that is surprisingly cool.

Zoos are a close second with the Philadelphia and San Diego zoos being top of the list.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The Singapore Zoo and Night Safari are pretty cool.

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We love museums. It's one of the things we do when we travel. Personal favorites are the Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum in Chicago, the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, the High Desert Museum in Central Oregon, the Museum of Flight in Seattle, and the National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian.

The Oregon Zoo is very small, to the point that you could fit the Oregon Zoo in just one section of the Toronto Zoo, but it is still pleasant to visit, though I prefer the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. The savannah exhibit there has a memorial to Jimi Hendrix. The Toronto Zoo is pretty awesome and I really enjoyed visiting it last year. I've also done the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago because it was free; what was cool about that zoo was seeing the old-fashioned Cat House with a panther in a cardboard box. The other neat thing there was the adjacent gardens with the giant conservatory.
    Lincoln Park Conservatory | Chicago Park District

In terms of gardens, my long-time favorite is the International Rose Test Garden here in Portland. It is adjacent to the Japanese Garden, which is also very awesome. Portland Japanese Garden The Rose Test Garden has a wonderful view of downtown with Mt. Hood in the distance. I've got lots more gardens to see, though. @genuinemommy, here's a garden I think you would enjoy: Shore Acres State Park - Friends of Shore Acres, Inc. It's set in a state park on the Oregon Coast. I visited as a kid; it's a very unique setting for a garden.

I also really love aquariums. We go to the Oregon Coast Aquarium once a year or so, usually when there's a temporary exhibit we wish to see. Near the Oregon Coast Aquarium is the Mark O. Hatfield Marine Science Center, which is free. They have a touch tank that is tons of fun. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is really cool.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I love the Sonoran Desert Museum in Arizona.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Museums. So much.

You can't ignore the amazing ones in New York, and we have some spectacularly world-class museums here in Chicago. But I love the ones in the LA area: the Getty Center, the Skirball Center for Jewish Culture and History, the LA County Museum of Art, the Norton Simon Museum of Art (Pasadena), the Armand Hammer Museum of Art, the Huntington Museums and Gardens (Pasadena)-- the latter also being the best gardens I have been to in the United States. And I also love the ones in Washington DC, especially the Smithsonian museums. Those are just fantastic.

But my favorites, by far, are London and Jerusalem. In London, the British Museum is maybe the best I have ever seen. And the National Gallery is superb, and so is the Tate. And in Jerusalem, the Israel Museum is phenomenal, as is the Bible Lands Museum of Ancient History.

I am very cautious about zoos. Too many smaller zoos can't keep their animals in adequately spaced and maintained environments, or have other problems with care conditions. Even some of the larger zoos have their problems in this regard. For this reason, I seldom go to zoos, and only to ones with international reputations for quality care, like the San Diego Zoo or the Minnesota Zoo. Same with aquaria. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best I've ever seen. Probably followed by the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA, and then by the Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My favorite is probably the Orsay, in Paris. I'm a fan of impressionism.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Several of my favorites have been mentioned already.

The National Zoo in DC is maybe my favorite. The outdoor exhibits open at 6am and we were fortunate enough to get there very early one morning. We got to see all of the animals while they were active, including the panda, with almost no other people around. It was awesome.

The gardens at Versailles were very impressive, even for a non-botanically inclined person like me. ;).

Orsay was great. I really loved The Louvre, as it was an awesome combination of history (which I like most) and art.

The Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland is a great place for music fans.

The St. Louis Zoo is another very good zoo IMO. I believe it is free as well.

Shedd's Aquarium is a favorite, especially the penguin exhibits and various non-fish things they have in the Oceanarium area.

Maybe the most impactful museum ever though was the Holocaust Museum in DC. A sobering place to visit, but something I'd recommend any adult experiencing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

It is excellent. It's not fun. Or easy. But it is superbly done, and is incredibly powerful. It is almost, but not quite, as potent and remarkable as the Yad Vashem holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

That is a beautiful museum. It presents the art beautifully, and is architecturally beautiful as well.

13. snowy

I was talking with my husband yesterday about photography, and it made me remember one of my favorite museums/gardens: The George Eastman House in Rochester, NY. I believe a number of other TFPers can testify as to how cool it is. It was interesting to see the history of photography in such a remarkable setting, and the gardens around the house are gorgeous. I do have to thank @paddyjoe for taking us there. It was an amazing experience. As a lover of history, it was very cool to see how the introduction of the Brownie changed photography.

14. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Like Levite above, I think those London museums are tops. I also like the Chicago ones that Snowy listed, and would add the Chicago Art Institute. I was in Bermuda just once, and visited a large garden that had a smaller, specialty garden for those who are blind. Of course, its goals are fragrance and texture, so the best time is when flowers are ripe with bloom.

15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

It's kind of out of the way since it's not on the coast in in a big city, but Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo was picked by Trip Advisor as the #1 Zoo in the country.
    Best Zoos - the United States - TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards
    I don't know about that, but when I went last winter it's amazing to walk out of a blustery Nebraska parking lot into a desert and a rain forest. Only about a mile off of Interstate 80. I think I've been there three times, and they always want to close before I'm ready to leave.

Other places, some well off of the beaten path, that I've visited at least once, and would return to:
    The Huntington Library in Pasadena, and the gardens around it.

The FDR Presidential Library in Hyde Park, NY

Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, in Mill Run, PA

The Baseball Museum in Cooperstown, NY and the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City.

California Railroad Museum in Sacramento.

The Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, Wyoming. Great Western art, and a huge firearms collection.

National Music Museum. Probably the best collection of musical instruments in the world, in Vermillion SD.

Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry

16. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I'll third a few London museums - the British Museum and also the Science Museum are both excellent. The Tate Modern I could take or leave - a bit eclectic for my tastes, I think.

In Oz, the Sydney Powerhouse museum is pretty good, Taronga Zoo and it's country cousin Western Plains Zoo at Dubbo are both excellent. Taronga sits on the Northern side of Sydney Harbour with great views across to the city. For tourist, getting a ferry to the zoo is a real highlight. Western Plains has a lot of "open" enclosures for the "Plains" animals and is really well set out.

Sydney's botanic gardens is also right next to the harbour/city/opera house - definitely worth a visit.

17. snowy

Yes! That's a great train museum.

My other favorite train museum: Western Pacific Railroad Museum - Portola, California The Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, CA is small, but they have a program that allows visitors to learn to drive a switch engine. It's incredibly fun!

• Like Like x 1
  18. spindles

spindles Very Tilted