1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Willravel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

What about the adults?

2. Eddie Getting Tilted

I haven't seen any in ows.

3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

4. Baraka_Guru

There are photos all over the Internet. I know you have a connection.

5. Eddie Getting Tilted

6. Alistair Eurotrash

The "suits" are people and citizens, too. As such, I imagine a variety of responses.

I would expect:

* A level of discomfort that they have fingers pointed their way, but an understanding that the actual pressure is directed at politicians (to bring about change).

* Understanding of the reason for the protest and support for the need for change

* Irritation at the daily inconvenience, but acknowledgement that it is more inconvenient to have to protest

Though maybe the 1% are just putting pressure on the politicians to "do something".

7. Baraka_Guru

I imagine there are a number of "suits" who know the system is broken, but I also imagine that most of them aren't willing to draw attention to themselves and risk their careers. I can't see it being a good thing to get all political about the industry you're working in, especially if it's a criticism.

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

See Eddie is right, everyone just wants to make money since James O'Keefe shows us some OWS supports who are into "Mo' Money Mo' Money!"

9. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Matt Taibbi was on CNN and suggested that it was good strategy by OWS to NOT announce formal demands at this point. Keeping it nebul0us and growing the number of supporters is a better way forward at this point.

And no matter how much Eddie and other conservatives try to spin it, this isn't about people being made/jealous of the rich or wanting free stuff. It's really about the growing inequality in this country, not just with income, but with political power. The richest of the rich also have the most political influence to keep the wealth siphoning upwards. THAT'S what people are pissed about

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eddie Getting Tilted

Oh really?

11. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Your anecdotal evidence is very compelling, but this young gentleman doesn't speak for the movement

12. Eddie Getting Tilted

Oh yeah, who does speak for the movement? Riddle me that?

13. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

You're stuck with this idea that this movement needs a single voice and a single set of demands. It doesn't work that way.

But for a good read on a laundry list of MANY reasons OWS is pissed, click here

14. Eddie Getting Tilted

So then why would you say that the gentlemen in the video I posted doesn't speak for the movement? Is his voice not as relevant as some other protester's? Are his demands as an OWS protester not valid? He's an OWS protester and those are his demands, just as every other protester has his or her demands.

15. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Sure, but you clearly posted that video as "proof" that OWS is about wanting free stuff. It only proves that THAT guy wants free stuff. I could probably find a video of a Tea Party Rally where an individual wants the government to ban interracial marriage, but I wouldn't use that video to claim that the Tea Party is about that.

16. Eddie Getting Tilted

No, I don't think OWS is about anything. I just think it's a giant clusterfuck.

Yes, that ows protester wants free stuff. That was my point. And his voice is just as valid as any other protester.

No you couldn't.

17. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

18. Eddie Getting Tilted

19. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

He claims to be speaking for the Tea Party. So is this the Tea Party's stance?

20. Eddie Getting Tilted

Where does he say he's against interracial marriage?