1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shop or not?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by bow35, Jan 19, 2012.

1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Oh, please. Un-nail yourself from the cross for a second and recognize my point. At the end of the day, consumption still drives the economy. You're just splitting hairs by pretending that the CONSUMPTION of art and culture somehow stand aside of basic economics. I'm by no means anti-art/culture, but I recognize that their continued existance is based solely on their economic viability. Ballet doesn't exist if folks don't invest in it.

2. bow35

bow35 Vertical

When I think of culture I think of how I roll my cigarette. Culture is a big word. The verb is : to cultivate. Learning is the key to cultivation

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Okay, if I need to pull myself from a cross, you're the one who put me there. My point is that consumption of art and culture is inherently tied to basic economics. However, what often makes it economically viable is government spending, but that goes for many other things in the wider economy.

My wider point is that perhaps a greater production and consumption of art and culture would create a more stable economy via a more stable society.

But I tried to keep it purely economic. I don't want to wax philosophical.

Or do I?

4. bow35

bow35 Vertical

I like

5. the_jazz

No, fertilizer is the key to cultivation. Beyond that, I see no other point to your comment.

You've missed the point. Art and culture are no more or less tied to basic economics than any other part of society. When we talk about pure science, it's an economic decision. It's the same as labor, education, healthcare and just about every single other human endevour. At the end of the day, someone has to figure out how to pay for it.

It's been tried before without any great success or failure. Sure some interesting art came from it, but at the price that the government decided which artists were paid and even what kind of art was produced (murals over literature, for instance).

6. bow35

bow35 Vertical

My point is HOW I roll my cigarette. To learn is to cultivate. Is culture.

What state of mind am I in when I roll? What do I think of? How often do I smoke? Does the mill cut my tobaco ok? Does the mill need to be fixed? Shall I ask my neighbour if he can help me? There can be a lot of culture in smoking.

7. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

This thread would be epic if I had a blunt.

• Like Like x 2
  8. the_jazz

Even the Marxists recognize a need for economic compensation. What you seem to be suggesting is that you and your neighbor go fix the mill, who's owned by someone else. That's anarchy, and it's simply not a viable solution for the current (or any) economic crisis, either in real world terms or as a fantasy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Sorry. You weren't very clear. But back to my wider point, the issue is the outcome and the means to get there. With "stuff," people buy it and might use it for a bit before throwing it away or amass rooms full of it in their basements. They then want some more "stuff" that may be "new" or "improved," but may essentially be the same thing if not serving the same purpose. They will often go into debt doing this (the whole "keeping up with the Joneses"). People also receive messages about how their success is tied into having certain "trappings of success." This kind of thing leads them to buy houses twice the size they actually need at thrice the value they should probably pay for it.

Economic activity varies. The outcomes aren't all the same. The consumption of art and culture is different from the consumption of whatever else people are buying at Wal-mart or stores/companies that sell big-ticket items.

I'm not sure how it works down in Yankeeland, but up here much of the arts funding is doled out by third parties or arm's-length organizations. The governments merely allocate the funds they believe are required to stabilize or grow creative industries.

This is how there is still a Canadian film industry and a Canadian book industry and a Canadian television industry despite living right next door to the U.S.

Canadian art and culture isn't economically viable in a true free market. Then again, as I've said, neither is a lot of stuff in the wider economy.

That's why there are no truly free markets.

10. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Que? The mill is mine. And I need it. I live and I consume. But I don't speculate in how much my neighbour shall be compensated for assisting me. If he helps me that's his choise and if I help him that's my choise. We are sincere. We don't speculate. And, again, I admit I'm a consumer, and I pay for my tobaco.

11. Baraka_Guru

People should be spending money on plays, not tobacco.

12. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Thank you all. This has been a good discussion to me. Now sleeping.

13. the_jazz

Then I've entirely missed the point of this conversation. People are going to continue to buy things. People are going to continue to help each other when they see fit. You can't stop or even really alter either - they are inevitable. Americans (followed by the Canadians) are the largest charitable givers in the world to each other.

B_G, that's so self-evident that I feel sorry for your fingers for having the stupidity to listen to your brain in typing it out. Regardless of how you parse it, the consumption of Good/Service A is always different than Good/Service B, provided that A is not B. Insert any dissimilar potential purchases - food, electronics, housing, autos, office supplies, etc. - and they'll never be consumed the same way.

The obvious now pointed out and pounded into the ground, that simply means that art and culture are under their own special economic pressures and circumstances. And they have their own influence on the whole "Joneses" phenomenon, depending the local society.
    I was specifically referring to the NEA of the Depression. I recently had a conversation with a friend about a rediscovered set of murals at a school on the South Side of Chicago that had been whitewashed over years ago. The current staff had no idea they were there until a local historian asked about them and provided pictures. The muralist was paid by the US government to paint those walls. The Roosevelt government was a big fan of murals, as well as some playwrights. But they didn't fund portraitists or novelists nearly to the same extent.

[obligatory derissive comment about the non-existence of Canadian culture except as a reflection of American culture]

But your point is well taken - especially when you start looking at industrial goods and their distribution. Airbus and Boeing, for instance, both receive varying degrees of government subsidies in order to bring their goods to market. I don't think that there are many people that would argue that those specific products aren't very important in the modern world economy, but they're essentially propped up by the European and American governments, respectively. As stand-alone entities, neither is especially economically viable, but those companies need to continue to producing goods in order to help the greater good.[/quote]

14. Baraka_Guru

I love your hyperboles; they're delicious.

But I guess this is beside the point. So you agree with me?

15. the_jazz

I guess it depends on what kind of scale we're discussing. I agree with you on a local scale, definitely. Government money in the arts can definitely make a difference in local economics. But when you get much more than that - especially with the understanding that it's simply not possible to spread the effect, equally or not, across all small-scale economies - it simply becomes impossible to do much more than prop up a few carefully chosen institutions. Canandians have decided what's important to them, and it's not painters or sculptors. That's fine, but it's not like all arts are equally funded or that the ones that are funded have equal impacts on local economies. Movies and TV shows filmed in Vancouver, for instance, don't do much to help the good folks of Nova Scotia.

16. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

For what it's worth.. a ton of production companies that used to be here have shifted to Canada due to fewer regulations and lower land fees etc. I know quite a few damn good editors that lost position because of it.

anyway, that has nothing to do with this convo in particular, just adding to the film and art in canada bit.

17. the_jazz

That just proves what I've been saying for years - Canada is the new Mexico. It's been 200 years since the last time we invaded - maybe once the boys get back from Afganistan, we'll set 'em to work up north. After all, we tinkered around in Mexico as recently as 1914.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

If I understand this statement correctly, you are saying that companies who don't put profit first will survive a crisis? I don't understand how that would work in a company's interest. If a company can't remain profitable they generally go out of business. How is that helpful to the company, the employees,or to the company's investors?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

I assure you, support for the arts is pretty comprehensive. The issue is whether the support is enough as far as overall allocated funds. The purpose of the granting organizations is in part to support talented artists wherever talented artists may be. However, the support is also extended to publishers, studios, and galleries to further ensure the reach of arts funding as a way to help things get made and available to the public. Here in Canada at least, the support for the arts is a federal, provincial, and municipal initiative.

Of course. Much of this has to do with geographic and demographic considerations with regard to the artists and the arts communities. Although Vancity is riding high on the film and television business, Nova Scotia is celebrated in its own right for its rich heritage of music and writing.

But I wouldn't discount them regarding film and television. There's stuff going on there as well. For starters: Donald Sutherland? Nova Scotian born in New Brunswick. :) But seriously, they've had their share of films made there, and they're known for producing some decent Canadian television shows. (Also, I think they're growing their video game industry. For example, if you're into EA Sports games, you've experienced the fruits of Nova Scotian labour.)

I guess my point is that art and culture funding is far-reaching even though the impact in each geographic area will vary quite a bit. In recent years, Canada has realized its potential for solid economic growth through these creative industries. We're no longer merely hewers of wood and drawers of water for you Yanks.

Please. You barely pulled off Iraq. You honestly think you're in any position to invade the Commonwealth?

• Like Like x 1
  20. the_jazz

Considering your best defense will be a sternly worded letter, I think I know where I'd put my money.