Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Chatter > General Discussion


View Poll Results: How important is the TFP Politics board?
It is very important and can bring in new, active, and interesting members. 10 15.87%
It has it's place but doesn't affect overall membership. 17 26.98%
It has it's place and I wouldn't mind getting active in it if there seemed to be more true debate. 18 28.57%
I love to watch the fights but it's not for me. 8 12.70%
I don't care...I just come for the titties and a laugh. 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
How important is the TFP Politics board?

Very simple question. Kind of goes with the other thread I created on what will bring you to (or back) to TFP Politics.

Been awhile since I've done the poll thingy I guess.....

1: It is very important and can bring in new, active and interesting members

2: It has it's place but doesn't affect overall membership

3: Has it's place and I wouldn't mind getting active in it if there seemed to be more true debate and sharing of ideas and views instead of fighting

4: I love to watch the fights but it's not for me and I just wouldn't post there ever and it has no affect on membership

5: Don't care...... I just come for titties and a laugh.... If I want to talk politics I'll go elsewhere.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 01-01-2008 at 03:24 AM..
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
...and this is a discussion... how?
analog is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Darth Papa
 
ratbastid's Avatar
 
Location: Yonder
You know, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Tilted Politics makes zero difference in the actual world. There was a time when I thought that my activity there altered something outside TFP itself. Now I'm pretty certain it doesn't.
ratbastid is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicago
While this thread is better in it's approach than the other one you've started, I still don't see the relevance of it.

There are millions - if not billions - of political discussion boards already in existence. We run the risk of having an overinflated sense of importance if we feel that ours is somehow distinctive enough to be a draw for new membership. Ours is no different than the others, even though some of us may wish to believe we're more intelligent or high-brow than the others.

Politics is what it is. It's much larger than any of our egos and will continue on in much the same fashion long after we're compost.
__________________
"I can normally tell how intelligent a man is by how stupid he thinks I am" - Cormac McCarthy, All The Pretty Horses
JumpinJesus is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJesus
While this thread is better in it's approach than the other one you've started, I still don't see the relevance of it.

There are millions - if not billions - of political discussion boards already in existence. We run the risk of having an overinflated sense of importance if we feel that ours is somehow distinctive enough to be a draw for new membership. Ours is no different than the others, even though some of us may wish to believe we're more intelligent or high-brow than the others.

Politics is what it is. It's much larger than any of our egos and will continue on in much the same fashion long after we're compost.
I don't think it's of great outer importance, but I do believe that it is or rather was unique in that while there were fights, both sides were able to have their say and get their point across. That is rare and something that TFP could be proud over.

I first came to TFP for the titties but back then you had to make a quota number of quality posts. I looked around and I fell in love with the Politics board here and forgot about the titties quota. It was fun, we fought like Hell but at the end of the day it grew. The board attracted people to post.

Anyone can theorize why it died or is dying, they can say it's cyclical, but if it's not growing and if everything becomes the same argument there the end result will be no one new will post there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbastid
You know, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Tilted Politics makes zero difference in the actual world. There was a time when I thought that my activity there altered something outside TFP itself. Now I'm pretty certain it doesn't.
It doesn't, but it gives you the chance to learn other's perspectives to actually have to think out yours when you type it thereby cementing your views deeper or shaking them up..... it is what it is. And it can alter things outside. Your view and passion and debate on a certain issue may help someone, even 1 person take a stand and change their view and their vote. Maybe, maybe not but to say it has absolutely no effect.... I don't know if I could agree with that.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 01-01-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Please touch this.
 
Halx's Avatar
 
Owner/Admin
Location: Manhattan
A place is only relevant if you USE it to make real world change. You cant sit around discussing politics ad nauseum and just look at it and go, "Is this important?" Of course not! You need to be the one doing the work, looking at your reference (the board) and then you can ask if its important or not.

That's the problem with all these veterans sitting around and yakking about how the Tilted ______ is dieing. They're just SITTING AROUND. I say put up or shut up about how its going down.
__________________
You have found this post informative.
-The Administrator
[Don't Feed The Animals]
Halx is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halx
A place is only relevant if you USE it to make real world change. You cant sit around discussing politics ad nauseum and just look at it and go, "Is this important?" Of course not! You need to be the one doing the work, looking at your reference (the board) and then you can ask if its important or not.

That's the problem with all these veterans sitting around and yakking about how the Tilted ______ is dieing. They're just SITTING AROUND. I say put up or shut up about how its going down.
That is what I'm trying to do here with these 2 threads. I wanted people's voices so that maybe perhaps things could be done to allow growth again.

I also just posted the poll no discussion in the OP because I wanted the poll to be as unbiased as I could possibly make it.

And yes, I agree you must take action as well as just speaking out, in any aspect of life not just politics.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
I generally find that the politics threads tend to funnel into the regular presumptuous pigeonholing, while real debate is stifled by everyone taking their regular positions, which tend to reflect the sentiments of their favourite talking heads. Sometimes reminds me of CNN Crossfire.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Degenerate
 
Aladdin Sane's Avatar
 
Location: San Marvelous
None of the options describe my opinion about the Politics board but #3 comes closest:
3: Has it's place and I wouldn't mind getting active in it if there seemed to be more true debate and sharing of ideas and views instead of fighting.

I came to TFP for the political discussion but I rarely venture there these days.
Why?
Because of self-inflated pomposity, that's why.
Because of vanity and hubris that knows no bounds, that's why.
Because of the consistent use of personal attacks, that's why.
Because of the contamination of every thread with ego-inspired hubris, that's why.
Because every thread is eventually polluted with multiple posts consisting of page after page copied from other websites, that's why. (Does anyone actually read that stuff?).
Because some personality types have no interest whatsoever in the actual give and take of friendly discussion, that’s why.
Because fragile egos require a "win" in every encounter, that's why.
Because of a narcissism that cannot bear the idea of being wrong, nor tolerate the existence of minds that have arrived at legitimate but different conclusions.
Because of a pettiness that strikes at every irrelevant comment but refuses to see the “big picture.”
Because of an inability to “let it go.”

You’re so vain; I bet you think this post is about you.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity, that’s why.
__________________
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
Aladdin Sane is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Sarasota
^^ X 2
__________________
I am just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe...

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Thoreau

"Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm" - Emerson
DDDDave is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knight of the Old Republic
 
Lasereth's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
The discussion shouldn't be about whether the politics board (PB) changes anyone outside of TFP but whether it's useful to the TFP members. You could say the same about any of the forum sections on TFP.

The PB is pretty useless from my point of view because when it comes to politics, most people have made up their mind and won't (don't want to) see a topic any other way. Politics discussion isn't about politics oddly enough. It's about personality types and viewpoints. The difference between right and left and D and R isn't politics, it's simply personality types. So basically the PB is people trying to change other people's personality types. Not happening...so it just turns into fighting back and forth with each member honestly believing that the other members are mentally retarded.
Lasereth is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
We work alone
 
LoganSnake's Avatar
 
Location: Cake Town
I wouldn't care one way or the other if it was gone. However, I've made my stance on this clear before.
__________________
Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future. Common sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot now. - J. Jacques
LoganSnake is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin Sane
None of the options describe my opinion about the Politics board but #3 comes closest:
3: Has it's place and I wouldn't mind getting active in it if there seemed to be more true debate and sharing of ideas and views instead of fighting.

I came to TFP for the political discussion but I rarely venture there these days.
Why?
Because of self-inflated pomposity, that's why.
Because of vanity and hubris that knows no bounds, that's why.
Because of the consistent use of personal attacks, that's why.
Because of the contamination of every thread with ego-inspired hubris, that's why.
Because every thread is eventually polluted with multiple posts consisting of page after page copied from other websites, that's why. (Does anyone actually read that stuff?).
Because some personality types have no interest whatsoever in the actual give and take of friendly discussion, that’s why.
Because fragile egos require a "win" in every encounter, that's why.
Because of a narcissism that cannot bear the idea of being wrong, nor tolerate the existence of minds that have arrived at legitimate but different conclusions.
Because of a pettiness that strikes at every irrelevant comment but refuses to see the “big picture.”
Because of an inability to “let it go.”

You’re so vain; I bet you think this post is about you.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity, that’s why.
This reminds me of a favorite quote. It's by Albert Camus: "The need to be right is a sign of a vulgar mind."
__________________
"I can normally tell how intelligent a man is by how stupid he thinks I am" - Cormac McCarthy, All The Pretty Horses
JumpinJesus is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junkie
 
sapiens's Avatar
 
Location: Some place windy
I think that participation in the politics forum requires a great deal of investment of thought and time. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to post there. However, I appreciate the amount of time and effort that many of the people in the politics forum put into their posts. I enjoy reading well-thought out arguments that include both evidence and analysis. The investment of thought and time required to post in the forum is one of its strengths. Personalities may occasionally clash and people may occasionally fall back on old arguments, but on the whole, I enjoy reading what people post there.
sapiens is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Deliberately unfocused
 
grumpyolddude's Avatar
 
Location: Amazon.com and CDBaby
In 5+ years of casual observation, and meek attempts at participation, I cannot recall one adjusted position, one conceded point. I bailed out with a lasting impression of closed minds fiercely defending their preconceived notions. You can keep it.
grumpyolddude is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Borla's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyolddude
In 5+ years of casual observation, and meek attempts at participation, I cannot recall one adjusted position, one conceded point. I bailed out with a lasting impression of closed minds fiercely defending their preconceived notions. You can keep it.
That fits my impression of every political thread I've ever read on any message board ever. It eventually becomes a forum where the loudest shouters dominate, and no one's opinions or perspectives are altered in the least.
__________________
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!!
Borla is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
I've seen a few opinions changed and points conceded, but then I've probably spent a bit more time posting and reading in Politics than many...

That said, I will agree that "ego" (rather than vanity) is what appears to drive much of what is wrong with the Politics Forum today. There is an unwillingness to be respectful, even if you don't agree. There is an undertone of anger and belligerence that just turns people off.

It frustrates me because we have a number of people with some very interesting insights and many of the won't waste their time in the face of much of what occurs in that forum.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Fotzlid's Avatar
 
Location: Greater Boston area
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyolddude
I bailed out with a lasting impression of closed minds fiercely defending their preconceived notions.
pretty much sums up every politics forums section i've seen too.
on the plus side, from what i've read here so far, this site isn't as bad as a lot of others.
Fotzlid is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Deja Moo
 
Elphaba's Avatar
 
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotzlid
pretty much sums up every politics forums section i've seen too.
on the plus side, from what i've read here so far, this site isn't as bad as a lot of others.
Fotzlid is correct. I have participated in several others.
__________________
"You can't ignore politics, no matter how much you'd like to." Molly Ivins - 1944-2007
Elphaba is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pissing in the cornflakes
 
Ustwo's Avatar
 
Maybe the real value of the politics board isn't to discuss politics, but as a quarantine for those who want to.
__________________
Agents of the enemies who hold office in our own government, who attempt to eliminate our "freedoms" and our "right to know" are posting among us, I fear.....on this very forum. - host

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.
Ustwo is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
Maybe the real value of the politics board isn't to discuss politics, but as a quarantine for those who want to.


Quite possibly the truest thing said here.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
Maybe the real value of the politics board isn't to discuss politics, but as a quarantine for those who want to.

I resemble..... I mean ......ummmm.......I resent that remark.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
Maybe the real value of the politics board isn't to discuss politics, but as a quarantine for those who want to.
Explain why you are so negative about the politics thread and post what you think you bring to it, in your posts there, that improves it.

IMO, it is what you make it. It is a place to share "what you know", and how you come to "know" it. "What you know", should be what shapes your politcal opinions.

How can that process influence you to post words like "quarantine"? Why is there so much discussion about discussing political opinions. Post them, justify them, defend challenges to them. If you cannot successfully defend your opinions, concede to the stronger (better supported) opposing argument. Or should something else be happening at the politics forum?

Last edited by host; 01-02-2008 at 09:32 PM..
host is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
It concerns me when I concede a point and everyone acts surprised. Not one person in TFPolitics is right all the time. That includes YOU. If you're wrong own up to it or go sit in the corner, you big baby. That and stop getting so pissed off at other members. This is about discussion, not rabid debate.
Willravel is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by host
IMO, it is what you make it. It is a place to share "what you know", and how you come to "know" it. "What you know", should be what shapes your politcal opinions.
See, I have to disagree with this statement. Politics/religion/spirituality/philosophy etc. are based on theory, one's experiences, what one can see/feel or believe to be wrong or right. Sometimes one just says, "I feel this way....." or "In my opinion and belief I believe this..." They cannot always be put into words or explained because they just are. Or if put into those phrases "I believe this...", "In my opinion...." and one relates why, it never seems to be a "good enough" answer for others.

Let's say someone says they believe X to be true. Now, in the Politics thread, one is attacked right away and asked why, what proof do you have to believe in X.

This puts the person on the defensive right away because 99% of the time the question is asked accusingly and the writer is treated like they know nothing.

So the person posts in a defensive manner why they believe X to be true. Now, if it is because of experience, opinion or "based on just a feeling" they are really attacked. Out comes the articles, the belittling, the attacks on the person.

Instead of constructive conversation to help each other understand the other, the posts become about winning an argument not about sharing ideas. So the end result becomes either the original poster pushes back because no one showed enough respect to talk to the person as an adult and a person but rather put them immediately on the defensive, that person either leaves or becomes more defensive to the point they become aggressive. And then the possibility of any civilized give and take conversation is gone.

Also, if someone posts a bunch of articles from a biased source, for people to read, but does not add anything of their own (maybe a few sentences) then nothing is achieved either. The average poster/reader feels they can find their own sources to read based on their own bias, why comment on something that even the poster really doesn't comment on?

It's like if I post article after article saying that the KINKS were the greatest band ever.... but I never truly add anything substantive from myself, someone will post article after article of why they weren't with no commentary of their own and nothing is achieved. Or they'll get tired of hearing me say it and rebel against it even if they agreed at first (overkill).

My point is there has to be acceptance and respect of the other's basic premise and the desire, ability and care to communicate your views back to them, in order to truly move forward. Anything short of those and all you end with is nothing but anger, personal attacks and negativity towards the whole encounter.

It's not that hard to do:

Poster A: I believe there should be Universal Healthcare.....

Poster B: I understand but I don't see it working because of .......

Then A and B can discuss their opinions with posters C-Z being able to share their points of view and add constructively to the "debate".

I know when I have talked about this in the past, people say we can't change anything so why does it matter?

Well, if TFP is different and "more mature" than other boards, we can achieve a Politics Board that will gain much respect throughout and bring more good posters in for true debate, education and mind expansion.

If it continues the way it is.... few will reside there.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned
 
I've always seen the politics forum as a giant circle jerk. Nothing is ever conceded, nothing ever seems to be truly "learned", as no one ever seems to be open to changing or expanding viewpoints.

I know a good number of people say "oh well I change opinions and learn all the time". Yeah, that's not really true. Maybe on tiny shit that never matters, but the big ones never change. I've never seen someone really change their mind on guns, abortion, immigration, their real political leanings, Iraq, Iran, etc., etc., etc.

Sometimes feelings broaden, like someone gets "looser" or "tighter" on gun control laws or immigration, but the real opinions never actually change.

At the very least, discussion is about learning from each other... Tilted Politics never, ever seems to be about more than people trying to prove they're right. That's not discussion. I don't really ever see actual discussion in there. It's mostly posturing, holding the party line, and trying to browbeat others into agreeing with them.

However, I still think our forum is more civil about it all than any other politics forum I've come across. That doesn't mean ours is important, but at least we have a fairly mature group of people (most of the time) who can manage to shove their opinions down others' throats with more civility than people on other sites.
analog is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Here
 
World's King's Avatar
 
Location: Denver City Denver
Why are you people talking about why your talk about talking about stuff?
__________________
heavy is the head that wears the crown
World's King is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467

.....Also, if someone posts a bunch of articles from a biased source, for people to read, but does not add anything of their own (maybe a few sentences) then nothing is achieved either. The average poster/reader feels they can find their own sources to read based on their own bias, why comment on something that even the poster really doesn't comment on?....
pan, all information is not equal, and your entire premise, IMO, is contradicted by the entire history of discourse of American politics.

Some will regard even these linked pages as "biased".
http://www.google.com/search?q=host+...e=off&filter=0

How does your "formula" fit with debates on issues like WMD in Iraq, abolition of slavery in the U.S., or what is the appropriate way to react to a thread, posted on a politics forum, that is titled:

"Please take a moment to pause, and think of our Military overseas this Christmas" in a politcal environment where an appreciable number believe that most of the military "overseas" are involved in illegal occupations.

There is a reason that some people limit themselves to never discussing religion or politics in public. There is a reason why there is a separate "politics" forum at TFP.

It is a challenge to participate on a political discussion forum on the internet. The forum at TFP is already moderated. You propose to remove the challenge of participating.

Why not propose a new forum restricted to the discussion of political feelings? That way, the implications and consequences of "owning" (attempting to advance) a political opinion, need never be confronted, recognized, or fully considered.

Folks who want to "ban all abortion", need never be exposed to information about the consequences to poorer women of childbearing age, versus the lack of consequences of the ban to wealthy women who have the option of travel out of the jurisdiction of the ban, to obtain safe, skilled, sterile clinical abortion services....they can just "feel" their opinion without exposure to information that might make them have a choice of ignoring what it is that influences others involved in a discussion to THINK otherwise.

...And, they can "feel" their pro abortion ban opinion, on a new and improved TFP politics discussion forum. No thank you, pan.
host is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467
See, I have to disagree with this statement. Politics/religion/spirituality/philosophy etc. are based on theory, one's experiences, what one can see/feel or believe to be wrong or right. Sometimes one just says, "I feel this way....." or "In my opinion and belief I believe this..." They cannot always be put into words or explained because they just are. Or if put into those phrases "I believe this...", "In my opinion...." and one relates why, it never seems to be a "good enough" answer for others.

Let's say someone says they believe X to be true. Now, in the Politics thread, one is attacked right away and asked why, what proof do you have to believe in X.

This puts the person on the defensive right away because 99% of the time the question is asked accusingly and the writer is treated like they know nothing.

So the person posts in a defensive manner why they believe X to be true. Now, if it is because of experience, opinion or "based on just a feeling" they are really attacked. Out comes the articles, the belittling, the attacks on the person.

Instead of constructive conversation to help each other understand the other, the posts become about winning an argument not about sharing ideas. So the end result becomes either the original poster pushes back because no one showed enough respect to talk to the person as an adult and a person but rather put them immediately on the defensive, that person either leaves or becomes more defensive to the point they become aggressive. And then the possibility of any civilized give and take conversation is gone.

Also, if someone posts a bunch of articles from a biased source, for people to read, but does not add anything of their own (maybe a few sentences) then nothing is achieved either. The average poster/reader feels they can find their own sources to read based on their own bias, why comment on something that even the poster really doesn't comment on?

It's like if I post article after article saying that the KINKS were the greatest band ever.... but I never truly add anything substantive from myself, someone will post article after article of why they weren't with no commentary of their own and nothing is achieved. Or they'll get tired of hearing me say it and rebel against it even if they agreed at first (overkill).
but if someone simply "believes" something and doesn't want to discuss supporting evidence, then I don't understand the point in any discussion at all, nobody is going to accept outside input about what they believe and then the board is just everyone spouting off an opinion that no one else cares about. I don't think there is nearly that much room for belief in political discussion, that's religion and religion and politics do not mix. if you ask me that's basically the reason we have such shitty politicians (on both sides) in this country these days, is that all they want to talk about is beliefs and feelings (like think of the children!) and nobody's bringing up the FACTS.

Quote:
My point is there has to be acceptance and respect of the other's basic premise and the desire, ability and care to communicate your views back to them, in order to truly move forward. Anything short of those and all you end with is nothing but anger, personal attacks and negativity towards the whole encounter.

It's not that hard to do:

Poster A: I believe there should be Universal Healthcare.....

Poster B: I understand but I don't see it working because of .......

Then A and B can discuss their opinions with posters C-Z being able to share their points of view and add constructively to the "debate".

I know when I have talked about this in the past, people say we can't change anything so why does it matter?

Well, if TFP is different and "more mature" than other boards, we can achieve a Politics Board that will gain much respect throughout and bring more good posters in for true debate, education and mind expansion.

If it continues the way it is.... few will reside there.
But I do agree with you here, that an attitude adjustment will certainly help. The board is flooded with arrogance and general lack of respect for other points of view. I just think it's better than not to leave space for facts and evidence. I'm not sure a new forum is the answer. Maybe people should be more prepared to back themselves up if that is truly a problem they have.
__________________
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." --Abraham Lincoln
n0nsensical is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #30 (permalink)
Eccentric insomniac
 
Slims's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina
I don't think Tilted Politics makes any real difference, but it is a good way to hash out your particular point of view to see who agrees, and where your opinions fall short.

That being said, it would be far better if there was more debate and less wholesale article spamming.

If I am going to enter into a discussion about, say, social security, I want to hear the opinions of other TFPers rather than having to wade through a dozen articles about someone elses point of view that maybe are sort of related to the discussion.
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence
Slims is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #31 (permalink)
Illusionary
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog
...and this is a discussion... how?
Likely, the poll is meant to bring about a conversation intent on addressing underlying issues that detract from one of the interesting aspects of TFP. By doing so it is possible some members will become more active, or even adjust posting styles in an attempt to improve or redirect the flow of activity within the politics board.


-OR-

Pan was bored and simply wanted to make a poll.
__________________
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
tecoyah is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 05:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
pig
pigglet pigglet
 
pig's Avatar
 
Location: Locash
shit...the politics board is the way it is because most of the users who post there regularly want it that way....otherwise, it would be...different.

if you don't like another poster's style or attitude, i'd say ignore it and move on. if people want to talk about their feelings on an issue, or if they want to avoid substantiated debate, then just ignore the articles and have a micro discussion on that basis. this happens all the time on the boards, and some people will say that it's clique forming, but i don't see any substantial change in posting style coming about as a result...
__________________
You don't love me, you just love my piggy style
pig is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
will always be an Alyson Hanniganite
 
Bill O'Rights's Avatar
 
Location: In the dust of the archives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
Maybe the real value of the politics board isn't to discuss politics, but as a quarantine for those who want to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by host
Explain why you are so negative about the politics thread and post what you think you bring to it, in your posts there, that improves it.

IMO, it is what you make it. It is a place to share "what you know", and how you come to "know" it. "What you know", should be what shapes your politcal opinions.

How can that process influence you to post words like "quarantine"? Why is there so much discussion about discussing political opinions. Post them, justify them, defend challenges to them. If you cannot successfully defend your opinions, concede to the stronger (better supported) opposing argument. Or should something else be happening at the politics forum?
Host.
It was joke. You know...funny? Why does everything have to be so serious? All of time? If Ustwo, who is a major contributor to the politics board, can poke a little fun at himself...can't you come up to fence and share in bit of a chuckle?

My opinions are my own. They have been formed through 45 years of walking this planet, and seeing the things that I have seen. My opinions are not formed, nor are they swayed, by reading what some pundit has posted in a blog. I simly do not care. And just because I, or anyone else for that matter, may not find the time to dig up a dozen or so opinions that mirror our own, does not in any way mean that the argument should be conceded. All that means is that you probably have more time to research. Having more time does not necessarily make you right. You may be right. You may be wrong. You may only be expressing your own point of view. But posting a dozen supporting articles does not make you right or wrong.
__________________
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

"Hedonism with rules isn't hedonism at all, it's the Republican party." - JumpinJesus

It is indisputable that true beauty lies within...but a nice rack sure doesn't hurt.
Bill O'Rights is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #34 (permalink)
Illusionary
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
I would like to suggest something for our politics board...and it is only a suggestion.

In an attempt to bring actual debate to the forum, perhaps we might try a new approach, one designed to set standards and rules for posting within a designated thread.

The standards might include limitations on length of back-up documentation, statement and rebuttal segments, verification of data sources....or whatever. Having seen this type of organized debate quite successful elsewhere, I would be interested in how it might fit into TFPolitics, and the way it would affect interaction between members.

As I stated, it is an Idea...what do you all think?
__________________
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
tecoyah is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: San Francisco
Maybe say instead of copying whole articles you should post excerpts in the forum and links to the complete articles for the other people (which I'm guessing isn't very many) who want to read them. Like a research paper. Include the relevant quotations as support within your writing and cite them with a reference to the original.
__________________
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." --Abraham Lincoln
n0nsensical is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
©
 
StanT's Avatar
 
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
Maybe the real value of the politics board isn't to discuss politics, but as a quarantine for those who want to.
Heaven forbid, I agree with Ustwo (even if he was just kidding).

I'm perfectly capable of researching conservative right wing view points, there is no shortage resources out there. Nor is there a shortage of liberal counterpoints. Linking page after page of talking points isn't a discussion, I can find them just fine on my own.

What's missing is any discussion or compromise.

I sometimes look at new topics to look for something new. I rarely read past the first page before I go off and research it on my own.
StanT is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #37 (permalink)
Junkie
 
filtherton's Avatar
 
Location: In the land of ice and snow.
From now on, instead of posting any sort of supporting information, i will just post a picture of my clenched fists.

Example:


Socialized medicine can work if properly funded and overseen. If you have any doubts, i would like to direct your attention to exhibit A:
filtherton is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #38 (permalink)
Pissing in the cornflakes
 
Ustwo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtherton
From now on, instead of posting any sort of supporting information, i will just post a picture of my clenched fists.

Example:


Socialized medicine can work if properly funded and overseen. If you have any doubts, i would like to direct your attention to exhibit A:
I agree with your argument, socialized medicine should have a lot of similarity with being anally double fisted, well done!

See we can all get along.
__________________
Agents of the enemies who hold office in our own government, who attempt to eliminate our "freedoms" and our "right to know" are posting among us, I fear.....on this very forum. - host

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.
Ustwo is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #39 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Politics board is a place where people work very hard at insulting others without them noticing.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
Junkie
 
filtherton's Avatar
 
Location: In the land of ice and snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
I agree with your argument, socialized medicine should have a lot of similarity with being anally double fisted, well done!
Yeah, but in a good way.
filtherton is offline  
 

Tags
board, important, politics, tfp

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360