Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Chatter > General Discussion


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Earth Hour


Tomorrow, March 29, 2008, between 8:00PM and 9:00PM, please turn off all of your lights and other electronic devices that you don't absolutely need as a part of International Earth Hour.

This is pretty important, in that it gives actual numbers to companies so that they know that the people of the planet are aware of the dangers of climate change and also alternative energies. We're ready for changes.

http://www11.earthhourus.org/

Feel free to join us.
Willravel is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Submit to me, you know you want to
 
ShaniFaye's Avatar
 
Location: Lilburn, Ga
I will make sure everything in my house is cut off when we leave for the Barry Manilow concert tomorrow nite
__________________
I want the diabetic plan that comes with rollover carbs. I dont like the unused one expiring at midnite!!
ShaniFaye is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaniFaye
I will make sure everything in my house is cut off when we leave for the Barry Manilow concert tomorrow nite
you're a FANilow!??!?!?!?!
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
It's not atypical for my computer and baseboard heaters to be the only active electrical devices in my apartment. I don't plan on changing these consumption habits for tomorrow. The baseboard heaters are necessary and I never shut off my computer. This is my one conceit, which I think is reasonable given that my overall consumption is very low; I tend to hover around 12 kWh per day for most of the year, although that may get up as high as 14 or 15 during the coldest winter months. This puts me at less than half the average US consumer and less than 1/3 the average Canadian, according to the numbers I've been able to dig up.

(Source)

Sustainability and long-term habit changes ftw. I don't even do it for the environment; I just don't like having a huge electricity bill.
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wise-ass Latino
 
QuasiMondo's Avatar
 
Location: Pretoria (Tshwane), RSA
Call me a hater, but I see this being as ineffective as those 'gas out' boycotts that people are always trying.
__________________
Cameron originally envisioned the Terminator as a small, unremarkable man, giving it the ability to blend in more easily. As a result, his first choice for the part was Lance Henriksen. O. J. Simpson was on the shortlist but Cameron did not think that such a nice guy could be a ruthless killer.

-From the Collector's Edition DVD of The Terminator
QuasiMondo is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasiMondo
Call me a hater, but I see this being as ineffective as those 'gas out' boycotts that people are always trying.
Last year the entire city of Sydney saw a drop off of 10% power consumption over the Earth Hour. That's 48,000 cars off the road.
Willravel is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Last year the entire city of Sydney saw a drop off of 10% power consumption over the Earth Hour. That's 48,000 cars off the road.
Right. But 10% of power consumed during one hour isn't very much in the grand scheme of things. It is better than the aforementioned gas boycotts (which simply offset gasoline consumption, rather than reducing it) but not by much.

Wouldn't it be better to advocate long-term conservation strategies? Compact fluorescent light bulbs, energy efficient appliances and more efficient usage patterns are the key here. Earth Hour is about allowing people to feel like they're doing something without having to go through the inconvenience of actually making any long-term changes.
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
Wouldn't it be better to advocate long-term conservation strategies? Compact fluorescent light bulbs, energy efficient appliances and more efficient usage patterns are the key here.
Earth Hour is about this. It is for raising awareness.

Quote:
Earth Hour is about allowing people to feel like they're doing something without having to go through the inconvenience of actually making any long-term changes.
Au contraire: Earth Hour Everyday
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wise-ass Latino
 
QuasiMondo's Avatar
 
Location: Pretoria (Tshwane), RSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Last year the entire city of Sydney saw a drop off of 10% power consumption over the Earth Hour. That's 48,000 cars off the road.
Between last year and this year, how much was power consumption reduced overall in the city of Sydney?
__________________
Cameron originally envisioned the Terminator as a small, unremarkable man, giving it the ability to blend in more easily. As a result, his first choice for the part was Lance Henriksen. O. J. Simpson was on the shortlist but Cameron did not think that such a nice guy could be a ruthless killer.

-From the Collector's Edition DVD of The Terminator
QuasiMondo is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
Wouldn't it be better to advocate long-term conservation strategies?
It's less dramatic. 90% of protesting is in the dramatic delivery, so as to attract the attention necessary for things to get done. Imagine if Atlanta, Chicago, Honalulu, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Denver, Miami, Portland, Phoenix, San Francisco, Quebec, Ontario, Toronto, BC, Alberta, Dubai, Manila, Copenhagen, Cardiff, and Dublin all saw a drop of 10% in energy consumption? All of those cities are involved in Earth Hour 2008, whereas last year it was only Sydney. Imagine if Sydney can offset the equivalent of 48,000 cars, that'd be nearly a million cars. In just one hour.

That's fucking dramatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasiMondo
Between last year and this year, how much was power consumption reduced overall in the city of Sydney?
I haven't the faintest idea.

Last edited by Willravel; 03-28-2008 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Willravel is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru
Earth Hour is about this. It is for raising awareness.

Au contraire: Earth Hour Everyday
If this is the case, it should be advertised as such. Getting people to make a change over the course of one hour on one day of the year is all well and good, but long-term change requires much stronger commitment (and, by extension, advocacy). There needs to be a very strong follow-up that, from where I'm sitting, just doesn't seem to be there.

EDIT for cross-posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
It's less dramatic. 90% of protesting is in the dramatic delivery, so as to attract the attention necessary for things to get done. Imagine if Atlanta, Chicago, Honalulu, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Denver, Miami, Portland, Phoenix, San Francisco, Quebec, Ontario, Toronto, BC, Alberta, Dubai, Manila, Copenhagen, Cardiff, and Dublin all saw a drop of 10% in energy consumption? All of those cities are involved in Earth Hour 2008, whereas last year it was only Sydney. Imagine if Sydney can offset the equivalent of 48,000 cars, that'd be nearly a million cars. In just one hour.

That's fucking dramatic.
I understand this, but at the same time it would appear that there was little to no follow-up on it. What should be happening is a bold statement in conjunction with high-visibility advocacy for long-term strategies. Earth Hour has the first part, but doesn't seem to have the follow-up down. Perhaps they should be highlighting the savings benefit? Again using myself as an example, I rarely pay more than $50 per month on my electric bill, and am able to achieve that because of my commitment to being energy efficient. I am writing this by the glow of my CRT. as I see no need to have lights on and am quite adept at navigating my apartment in the dark. All of my light bulbs are CF type, the largest of which is 15 watts. I rarely have the television on, and I don't leave any appliances on when I don't need them. All of these things are concessions that I've made not to save the world (the world does not need saving) but rather to avoid having to pay any more money than is absolutely necessary to the electric company. If it has the benefit of reducing emissions, then that's great.

Here in Canada a couple years back the Canadian government spearheaded something called the one tonne challenge, where they hired Rick Mercer to go on television and challenge Canadians to reduce their carbon footprint by one tonne over the next year. I remember laughing when I saw the ads - given my energy consumption habits (detailed above) and my driving habits (I refuse to drive anywhere that's less than a mile away and in nice weather will walk as far as two miles, which is the limit of my town) I don't think I could possibly reduce my emissions by one tonne without any action less dramatic than moving into the mountains and foregoing all modern conveniences. I do it all not for the environment but for other advantages (health benefits, savings, etc). I've often wondered why this isn't advertised more strongly. Then again, I may just be underestimating the laziness of the general population. Who knows?
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

Last edited by Martian; 03-28-2008 at 07:57 PM..
Martian is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Yeah, I don't think that people will really offset anything.

They'll use their laptops on batteries, their PSP, iPod, and other battery using items.

Again, I think it's a feelgood measure to make people think they are actually doing something because they did it once a year for one measely hour.

If you want to do something, change your lifestyle dramatically, not just for 1 hour out of 8,760.

I'm not turning anything off. In fact I will be with some orthodox people who will just be starting to use things since 8pm is when Shabbos is officially over.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Cynth, they already offset almost 50 thousand cars. 10%.
Willravel is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Seriously, this isn't the shift, this is the actionable publicity. It raises awareness. Far more people are participating in this than they did last year, which means the profile of this issue is going to skyrocket.

You want a change in habits or policies? Then raise the public profile of an issue. This is publicity and public relations 101.

If you want my opinion, we're going to hit a crisis before real change will happen. By then, we'll see a huge culture shock when people realize how they live and work will never be the same.

But I also like to think we should do what we can to lessen the blow.
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
yeah, Vote or Die raised awareness for voting... sure when the stars were found out they didn't bother to vote the hypocrisy was apparent.

I think the same for the carbon footprint, and again don't have much hope for this movement as well.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
dc_dux's Avatar
 
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru
Seriously, this isn't the shift, this is the actionable publicity. It raises awareness. Far more people are participating in this than they did last year, which means the profile of this issue is going to skyrocket.

You want a change in habits or policies? Then raise the public profile of an issue. This is publicity and public relations 101.
Absolutely.

Look back at the first Earth Day in 1970. It was a simply a consciousness raising event. It took several more years for the first meaningful environmental legislation.
__________________
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
~ Voltaire
dc_dux is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
I think the same for the carbon footprint, and again don't have much hope for this movement as well.
But I don't think P. Diddy is behind this one. I don't even think he's Aussie.
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
dc_dux's Avatar
 
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq

I think the same for the carbon footprint, and again don't have much hope for this movement as well.
We are already seeing results of the growing interest in energy conservation.

Last year's Energy Independence and Security Act requires significant greater efficiency in a wide range of commercial/residential appliances (including light bulbs), commercial building standards and vehicle fuel efficiency.
__________________
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
~ Voltaire

Last edited by dc_dux; 03-28-2008 at 08:43 PM..
dc_dux is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Sorry, I've been complaining about the CAFE standards being low since the mid-80s and again as small truck (SUV) sales soared in the 90s to take over 20 years to make a difference is appalling. Then there is the MTBE/Ethanol stuff which is totally derailing the thread.

I just don't have much hope that it will make such an impact.

Awareness, sure they're more aware. I've done what I can. Now what?

It reminds me of scrimping and saving in my company. I can scrimp and save pennies and dimes when budgeting, but when SVPs above me decide they are blowing the wad for their department because they don't feel they should "suffer" like everyone else, well I just don't see the point to even bother.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
I think the same for the carbon footprint, and again don't have much hope for this movement as well.
Humbug much?
Willravel is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Humbug much?
I save and conserve and people fly in private jets and live in huge McMansions. Yeah, I'm jaded.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
 
dc_dux's Avatar
 
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
Sorry, I've been complaining about the CAFE standards being low since the mid-80s and again as small truck (SUV) sales soared in the 90s to take over 20 years to make a difference is appalling. Then there is the MTBE/Ethanol stuff which is totally derailing the thread.

I just don't have much hope that it will make such an impact.

Awareness, sure they're more aware. I've done what I can. Now what?

It reminds me of scrimping and saving in my company. I can scrimp and save pennies and dimes when budgeting, but when SVPs above me decide they are blowing the wad for their department because they don't feel they should "suffer" like everyone else, well I just don't see the point to even bother.
I am more impressed with the appliance standards rather than the CAFE standards.....particularly, lightbulbs:
The biggest energy-saver among the standards in the bill are those for common light bulbs (or “lamps” as they are called in the lighting trade), requiring them to use about 25-30% less energy than today’s most common incandescent bulbs by 2012-2014, and at least 60% less energy by 2020.
__________________
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
~ Voltaire
dc_dux is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
See and I'm pissed about that. I like the glow of the incandescent bulb. It provides more lighting atmosphere for me than any of the CF bulbs. I haven't found a CF bulb that gives the same warm glow of an incandescent.

To outright ban them is deplorable as far as a matter of choice. Make it expensive via tax and allow me to buy it just like those gas guzzler taxes are. People can buy cars and trucks that get shit gas mileage. Why won't I be able to buy a bulb that I like the way it makes the interior of my home look?
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
 
dc_dux's Avatar
 
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
Why won't I be able to buy a bulb that I like the way it makes the interior of my home look?
The reason for the delay of the standards until 2012-14 is to provide the opportunity for commercial development of comparable but more efficient lightbulbs.
__________________
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
~ Voltaire
dc_dux is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crazy
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Location: West of Denver
People say the strangest things

This is not a bicycle:

http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=124705

Earth Hour is also not a bicycle, yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
Yeah, I don't think that people will really offset anything.

They'll use their laptops on batteries, their PSP, iPod, and other battery using items.

Again, I think it's a feelgood measure to make people think they are actually doing something because they did it once a year for one measely hour.

If you want to do something, change your lifestyle dramatically, not just for 1 hour out of 8,760.

I'm not turning anything off. In fact I will be with some orthodox people who will just be starting to use things since 8pm is when Shabbos is officially over.
Hate to start trouble my first day and all but: Uhhhh, what? Preach radically changing lifestyles and lust over a BMW? Something doesn't quite click. If you need links I can show you really expensive bicycles to covet.

Offsetting one vehicle for another saves little, as I'm quickly learning trying to get out of my cherished '90 Jeep Cherokee into something that will carry my butt and all of my tools through snow reliably (for under $8k, please). Surprisingly, the F150 4x4 would fit the bill circa 2001. Bigger vehicle, smaller footprint. Anything Toyota is out of my price range to increase efficiency. Strange days indeed.

I support Earth Hour and our family will be participating. We will wander around our house with the kids and *think* about what can be turned off or unplugged. Maybe it'll even get my kids to think about phantom loads a bit more.

GO EARTH HOUR!

Cynthetiq, I don't want to pick on you but I saw the major opponent of this protest/advocacy/awakening in this particular thread lust after a brand new internal combustion powered automobile. That tripped my BS meter.
__________________
smoore
smoore is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore
Hate to start trouble my first day and all but: Uhhhh, what? Preach radically changing lifestyles and lust over a BMW? Something doesn't quite click. If you need links I can show you really expensive bicycles to covet.
This is not a valid argument. Opposition of Earth Hour and desiring a nice car are not mutually exclusive. For that matter, advocating energy efficiency and moderate usage and desiring a nice car are not mutually exclusive. Cynthetiq's preference for a BMW does not take away from what he's saying in any way, shape or form.

ad hominem, ergo irritus.
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pissing in the cornflakes
 
Ustwo's Avatar
 
I was thinking of curling up with a good book I've been meaning to read...



Someone bought that for me
__________________
Agents of the enemies who hold office in our own government, who attempt to eliminate our "freedoms" and our "right to know" are posting among us, I fear.....on this very forum. - host

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.
Ustwo is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crazy
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Location: West of Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
This is not a valid argument. Opposition of Earth Hour and desiring a nice car are not mutually exclusive. For that matter, advocating energy efficiency and moderate usage and desiring a nice car are not mutually exclusive. Cynthetiq's preference for a BMW does not take away from what he's saying in any way, shape or form.

ad hominem, ergo irritus.
It's not an argument, I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy. How someone can blast an advocacy action for making "no difference" while desiring a car that embodies the entire "drive to work, work to drive" problem baffles me.

I see no ad hominem in my post but your strawman does intrigue me. Please expound.
__________________
smoore
smoore is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore
It's not an argument, I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy. How someone can blast an advocacy action for making "no difference" while desiring a car that embodies the entire "drive to work, work to drive" problem baffles me.

I see no ad hominem in my post but your strawman does intrigue me. Please expound.

I would suggest that you need to brush up on logical fallacies.

A straw man is an attempt to distort or exaggerate an argument with the intention of disproving it. An ad hominem attack is an attack on the person, rather than the argument the person makes. Cynthetiq's argument was that advocating change for only one hour of the year has no significant long-term impact on carbon emissions. Your rebuttal, whether it was explicit or implied, was that Cynthetiq's argument is invalid because he likes the BMW 1 series. You did not address his points, but rather attempted to use his character as a means to judge the validity of his assertions. This is by definition an ad hominem attack and therefore invalid (ad hominem, ergo irritus, as we pretentious Latin readers say). I pointed this out but did not exaggerate your arguments and therefore did not use any straw man.

I don't see how opposing Earth Hour and wanting a nice car are mutually exclusive. If anything they're internally consistent, but even if Cynthetiq supported Earth Hour his preference in vehicles would not be relevant as the two address totally different issues. Earth Hour is about reducing wasteful use of electricity, and does not address vehicular emissions. One could support methods to reduce energy inefficiency in the home without supporting methods to eliminate vehicular emissions without any logical conflict.
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crazy
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Location: West of Denver
Obviously you are a student of debate.

I stand corrected. I always thought a straw man was setting up an argument from the opponents view in order to tear it down. I also assumed an ad hominem was a direct attack against the character of the opposition.

How would I logically say that it is hypocritical to deride a protest against excessive energy use and wanting to posses a luxury car?
__________________
smoore

Last edited by smoore; 03-29-2008 at 12:04 AM..
smoore is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore
How would I logically say that it is hypocritical to deride a protest against excessive energy use and wanting to posses a luxury car?
You wouldn't, because it's not hypocritical. There is no logical inconsistency inherent in opposing Earth Hour and wanting a luxury car. For one, opposing Earth Hour implies (but does not necessarily confirm) an indifference towards carbon emissions, which would be logically consistent with indifference towards a car's fuel efficiency or emissions output. Further, even if we assume that Cynthetiq (as our example case here) does support increasing energy efficiency in the home and opposes Earth Day due to it's perceived ineffectiveness in furthering this cause, we still don't have a logical inconsistency. One may support increased energy efficiency for a variety of reasons, such as economic concerns, opposition to a specific type of power generation (nuclear power, for example) or even out of concern regarding a power shortage. Carbon emissions are one reason to support a reduction in consumer electricity use, but they're not the only one. And finally, a vehicle may be classified as a luxury car and still be fuel efficient; in fact, the BMW 1 series includes a suite of features and design specifications collectively called EfficientDynamics, which are designed specifically to increase fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. Therefore, one may desire a vehicle that's classed as a luxury car and still be committed to 'green' policies.

Your problem here is that you're confusing consumerism with environmentalism; these are two unrelated issues, although they often go together politically and philosophically. Had Cynthetiq made an anti-consumer statement here and expressed a desire to own an expensive vehicle elsewhere, he would be a hypocrite. As it is, there is no inconsistency between what he's said here and what he's said elsewhere that I've seen.
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 02:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junkie
 
powerclown's Avatar
 
Location: Detroit, MI
Also, don't forget that the BMW 118d was named 2008 World Green Car. A superb - and luxurious - car to be sure.
powerclown is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junkie
 
highthief's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
When Al Gore moves into a smaller house and David Suzuki stops impregnating women and putting all those extra energy sucking mouths into the world population I'll turn off my lights for an hour.

Hypocrites.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum.
highthief is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
 
dc_dux's Avatar
 
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
I was thinking of curling up with a good book I've been meaning to read...



Someone bought that for me
Still reading fairy tales....at your age?
__________________
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
~ Voltaire
dc_dux is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore
This is not a bicycle:

http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=124705

Earth Hour is also not a bicycle, yet:

Hate to start trouble my first day and all but: Uhhhh, what? Preach radically changing lifestyles and lust over a BMW? Something doesn't quite click. If you need links I can show you really expensive bicycles to covet.

Offsetting one vehicle for another saves little, as I'm quickly learning trying to get out of my cherished '90 Jeep Cherokee into something that will carry my butt and all of my tools through snow reliably (for under $8k, please). Surprisingly, the F150 4x4 would fit the bill circa 2001. Bigger vehicle, smaller footprint. Anything Toyota is out of my price range to increase efficiency. Strange days indeed.

I support Earth Hour and our family will be participating. We will wander around our house with the kids and *think* about what can be turned off or unplugged. Maybe it'll even get my kids to think about phantom loads a bit more.

GO EARTH HOUR!

Cynthetiq, I don't want to pick on you but I saw the major opponent of this protest/advocacy/awakening in this particular thread lust after a brand new internal combustion powered automobile. That tripped my BS meter.
Welcome to the TFP smoore!

Actually, you should spend more time reading and getting to know me. I've never once preached for anyone to radically change their lifestyle. What works for me is what works for me. I'd never impose my way of life upon someone else. I prefer to live by example. I'm not about radical changes, but if you are interested in the change then do the change. As Mr. Gandhi stated, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

I made the lifestyle statement because if you really are about saving the environment and such, 1 hour does something. I don't see this much different than saving $1 day and then when you go out another day splurging $10 when your normal averages are $8. People rationalize things all the time, "I jogged yesterday so I can have an ice cream" mentality is what I'm getting at or even "I did this X thing, so I can treat myself/deserve Y thing." In doing this rationalization, they don't help anything.

You have to have an SUV to haul you and your tools. I can assume from that, you've got a career/job living location that REQUIRES you to drive. The idea "drive to work, work to drive" doesn't apply for me.

I may covet a BMW, but look further at more of my posts, and you'd see that I live in a major city. I do own a car because I can afford to own one. I have many friends who don't even have a driver's license or even know how to drive. I didn't have a driver's license or a car from 1995 until Dec. 2000. I take public transportation EVERYDAY. I can CHOOSE to walk to work EVERYDAY if I want to. If everyone in NYC would bike to work, you'd have plenty of bike storage problems. Not every employer has a bike room. Locking up your bike in NYC on the street? You may just return to see something like this:


I drive less than 8,000 miles a year. I have the odometer and insurance policy to prove it. My 2001 Plymouth Neon has roughly 36,000 miles on it. I drive for complete 100% PLEASURE. My car is 100% a luxury item. It is paid off yet still costs me $325/mo to park the friggin' thing. It is also parked about 4 blocks from my apartment so I have to walk to retrieve it, sucks in the rainy and snowy days. Parking on the street while free (and risk to break ins) is a pain in the ass due to having to move the car every other day due to alternate side parking rules. If I miss a day it is a $150 parking ticket. While I could have easily bought something that matched my fellow colleagues (income/status) I did not as I am a practical man. Car XYZ still gets you from point A to point B just as fast and just as furious as Car ABC here in the NYC area. Car XYZ will still only get driven less than 8,000 miles a year. My car gets driven approximately 1-2 times a month as a means to go places that buses and railroads do not go easily or on a time schedule acceptable to me or the wife.

So even if I decided to get any SUV I'd still be polluting less vehicular emissions than a you and a majority of the United States.

When I renovated my 800 sq foot apartment in NYC I redid all of the electrical in my unit (building is over 50 years old) to accommodate and protect all the electrical items I would be using, home theater system and a number of computers systems (desktops/laptops/routers/switches.) If you have been to Europe, you may have seen the guest card key switches that you insert when you arrive and remove when you leave. This switch turns off almost all the electric outlets within the room except for the alarm clock. It's a pain when trying to recharge anything while you are out like spare AAA batteries or laptop. I considered installing something like this in our home not because I'm concerned about saving the environment, but because I don't like paying a lot for our electric bill. I did not install it because the costs would outweigh the benefits. The apartment has less than 15 outlets of which 7 are connected to 24/7/365 items. Turning my energy saver A/C off for the day while at work takes more electricity to cool when I get home then it does to cool it in the morning and keep it cool during the day. (I know this because I compared electric bills with both scenarios.) What made more sense was to just make sure I turn off the all the lights when I was leaving each room. A habit that I have had since I was a kid but from time to time I don't because I forget.

Now to connect this back to the OP, highthief expounds more on what I stated about saving money and someone else squandering it. I walk to work and live in a right sized home for 2 people. And there are people like you who have to drive to work, grocery, drop off the kids to school, soccer, scouts... negating all that "saving" and sacrificing I've done.

I'm about to go out for breakfast for some bacon, eggs, and toast. I'm walking there and back, on the way home I can stop by the grocery store or CVS and pick up some items if needed. I could easily choose to drive to IHOP because I love pancakes and hashbrowns. I only do that when I've decided to take the car out for the day.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

Last edited by Cynthetiq; 03-29-2008 at 05:22 AM..
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwo
I was thinking of curling up with a good book I've been meaning to read...

Someone bought that for me
Maybe follow up with this?

__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #37 (permalink)
Pissing in the cornflakes
 
Ustwo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru
Maybe follow up with this?

I have a sad feeling you don't understand the irony of your post.
__________________
Agents of the enemies who hold office in our own government, who attempt to eliminate our "freedoms" and our "right to know" are posting among us, I fear.....on this very forum. - host

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.
Ustwo is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
 
dc_dux's Avatar
 
Location: Washington DC
Anyone notice that google went dark today?
"We've turned the lights out. Now it's your turn"
Not to save energy, but a very cool way to raise awareness.
__________________
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
~ Voltaire
dc_dux is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_dux
Anyone notice that google went dark today?
"We've turned the lights out. Now it's your turn"
Not to save energy, but a very cool way to raise awareness.
no but it was discussed sometime last year or even the year before:

doe.gov
Quote:
White and bright colors (especially in backgrounds) can use up to 20% more power than black or dark colors. Look to the right to see the power usage (in Watts) of a sample monitor with different screen backgrounds. Unfortunately, e-mail and word processors tend to use white backgrounds, so your workstation uses considerable power while you are in these programs, which you are during much of the day. Because black-on-white is the most familiar (it's just like the newspaper), selecting alternate combinations may not be appealing. However, you can change your desktop background to something efficient. You can change your background by selecting Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display, and Appearance tab. The "Item" field should say "Desktop". Under color, select one of the colors at the right that has a rating below 65W and then click OK.
and Blackle.com who does it EVERY day. This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not just COOL because you did it one day to bring awareness, it's cool because you do it every day.

Quote:
Blackle was created by Heap Media to remind us all of the need to take small steps in our everyday lives to save energy. Blackle searches are powered by Google Custom Search.

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen." Roberson et al, 2002

In January 2007 a blog post titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year proposed the theory that a black version of the Google search engine would save a fair bit of energy due to the popularity of the search engine. Since then there has been skepticism about the significance of the energy savings that can be achieved and the cost in terms of readability of black web pages.

We believe that there is value in the concept because even if the energy savings are small, they all add up. Secondly we feel that seeing Blackle every time we load our web browser reminds us that we need to keep taking small steps to save energy.

How can you help?

We encourage you to set Blackle as your home page ( set ). This way every time you load your Internet browser you will save a little bit of energy. Remember every bit counts! You will also be reminded about the need to save energy each time you see the Blackle page load.

Help us spread the word about Blackle by telling your friends and family to set it as their home page. If you have a blog then give us a mention. Or put the following text in your email signature: "Blackle.com - Saving energy one search at a time".

Have a look at our energy saving tips page for ideas on steps you can take to save energy.

There are a lot of great web sites about saving energy and being more environmentally friendly. They are full of great tips covering the little things that we can all do to make a difference today. Try Blackling "energy saving tips" or visit treehugger.com a great blog dedicated to environmental awareness.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
Pissing in the cornflakes
 
Ustwo's Avatar
 
I wonder if people would by those stupid magnetic fake ribbon things people put on their cars with 'Earth Hour' in the usual cause spot.

I'd love to see one on an SUV.
__________________
Agents of the enemies who hold office in our own government, who attempt to eliminate our "freedoms" and our "right to know" are posting among us, I fear.....on this very forum. - host

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.
Ustwo is offline  
 

Tags
earth, hour

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360