Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Chatter > General Discussion


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Do these 7 "dirty words" still shock?

I imagine that most people know by now, that George Carlin passed away. In 1972, he was arrested for saying these 7 words - shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits - he was charged with violating obscenity laws for uttering them on television. It also led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling about what could and could not be said on broadcast TV and radio.

While conventions have changed since the 70s - shit is fine on basic cable past 10 p.m., and anything goes on premium channels - for the most part, any slur more vivid than "ass" or "bitch" (neither of which Carlin included among his set of seven) is verboten on broadcast TV.

Do these words really still shock? Does broadcast television need to 'loosen up' and allow them, or are you ok with them still considering these words 'verboten?'



I think they are shocking BECAUSE they are verboten.

I think "CUNT" still packs a punch.
UKking is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Confused Adult
 
Shauk's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA
cunt only packs a punch when said with a british accent.

Shauk is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lover - Protector - Teacher
 
Jinn's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Fuck, cunt, cocksucker and motherfucker, for sure.
__________________
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel
Jinn is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted
 
Redlemon's Avatar
 
Donor
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKking
Do these words really still shock? Does broadcast television need to 'loosen up' and allow them, or are you ok with them still considering these words 'verboten?'

I think they are shocking BECAUSE they are verboten.
If they become allowed, they may lose their power. I agree with keeping them off of broadcast television.
__________________
I can't read your signature. Sorry.
Redlemon is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Thief. Master Criminal. Masturbator.
 
SSJTWIZTA's Avatar
 
Location: Windiwana
i think being called a cunt is hilarious. i usually chuckle a good bit when called being called a cunt.

none of these words effect me, or anyone that i know. so for me, there is no edge or power to be lost.
__________________
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists and I did not speak out because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for me And there was no one left to speak out for me.
-Pastor Martin Niemoller
SSJTWIZTA is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted
 
Redlemon's Avatar
 
Donor
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTWIZTA
i think being called a cunt is hilarious. i usually chuckle a good bit when called being called a cunt.

none of these words effect me, or anyone that i know. so for me, there is no edge or power to be lost.
If they have no power, they have no use. Why do you say it? To shock other people.
__________________
I can't read your signature. Sorry.
Redlemon is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
all you cunts need to shut the fuck up or I'll shit on your tits and then piss in your motherfuckin cocksuckin mouths!
Glory's Sun is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Asshole
 
The_Jazz's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by guccilvr
all you cunts need to shut the fuck up or I'll shit on your tits and then piss in your motherfuckin cocksuckin mouths!
This is a lot funnier when you imagine Bronson Pinchot - playing guccilvr in a bad sitcom - saying it while wearing a Yankee's hat.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - B. Franklin
"There ought to be limits to freedom." - George W. Bush
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo
The_Jazz is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jazz
This is a lot funnier when you imagine Bronson Pinchot - playing guccilvr in a bad sitcom - saying it while wearing a Yankee's hat.
You watch too much VH1

..but I guess that's what Cubs fans do when their team sucks.
Glory's Sun is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted
 
Redlemon's Avatar
 
Donor
Location: New England
As I was typing above, it felt a bit familiar. For related information, read Why don't you [expletive deleted] my expletive, Cursing, and Control Your #$%^ing Language!.
__________________
I can't read your signature. Sorry.
Redlemon is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
sufferable
 
girldetective's Avatar
 
These words have long been problematic, appropos, and helpful to comics (think Lenny Bruce). I think they are still powerful, the ones redlemon pointed out especially. Of course a comic can lighten the load of these words and can make them less TNTish.

Go ahead. Refer to a woman in real life as a cunt (when not whispering it in her ear) to see how powerful it still is.
__________________
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons...be cheerful; strive for happiness - Desiderata

Last edited by girldetective; 06-24-2008 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Added last sentence of first paragraph
girldetective is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junkie
 
sapiens's Avatar
 
Location: Some place windy
I think that many of them are still very powerful. Shit and piss less than the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jazz
This is a lot funnier when you imagine Bronson Pinchot - playing guccilvr in a bad sitcom - saying it while wearing a Yankee's hat.
I thought that that guccilvr WAS Bronson Pinchot. Is it you, Balki? It's me Larry.
sapiens is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Upright
 
PegLeg's Avatar
 
Location: Midwest USA and Germany
This is my first post outside of the noob forum, so hopefully it will be alright.

I would have to agree that 'cunt' has become the word that packs the most punch. It is the one 'dirty' word that I have qualms about saying and the one that I like the least. As I find myself saying 'fuck' rather frequently (lamentably so) I've begun to wonder how this former king of the 'dirty words' was downgraded, at least for me personally. I've been wondering if, as English continues to evolve, a new king of curses will emerge.

Oddly enough, 'motherfucker' remains more powerful for me than just 'fuck'. Even with hip-hop artists the world over shouting variations of it, I still find 'motherfucker' stronger than 'fuck'; and I don't it has anything to do with the mother.
PegLeg is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
abaya's Avatar
 
Location: Iceland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiens
Is it you, Balki? It's me Larry.
Wow. I thought I was the only one who remembered that show (of course, living in Iceland for the last year, none of the natives OR foreigners here seem to remember that show). I loved it!! Cozin Larry!

/threadjack, go back to your fucking cunts.
__________________
And think not you can direct the course of Love;
for Love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

--Khalil Gibran
abaya is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Playing With Fire
 
DaveOrion's Avatar
 
Location: Disaster Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegLeg
This is my first post outside of the noob forum, so hopefully it will be alright.

I would have to agree that 'cunt' has become the word that packs the most punch. It is the one 'dirty' word that I have qualms about saying and the one that I like the least. As I find myself saying 'fuck' rather frequently (lamentably so) I've begun to wonder how this former king of the 'dirty words' was downgraded, at least for me personally. I've been wondering if, as English continues to evolve, a new king of curses will emerge.

Oddly enough, 'motherfucker' remains more powerful for me than just 'fuck'. Even with hip-hop artists the world over shouting variations of it, I still find 'motherfucker' stronger than 'fuck'; and I don't it has anything to do with the mother.
I agree, "motherfucker" is a bit stronger than a simple "fuck", but you'd be surprised how irate someone can get over "shut the fuck up", as opposed to a simple "shut up" or just "be quiet". "Shut the fuck up cunt" could really make someone's day.
__________________
Syriana...have you ever tried liquid MDMA?....Liquid MDMA? No....Arash, when you wanna do this?.....After prayer...
DaveOrion is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
I'm still not sure why profanities aren't allowed on television. I can't imagine profanities being a big deal if they're generally accepted. They're only "bad words" because people get offended by them.

In other words, I could give two shits if some piss ant fucking cunt wants to act like a cocksucker and pretend like motherfucking profanities are are as interesting as tits.
Willravel is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Confused Adult
 
Shauk's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA
frak!
Shauk is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Starshine's Avatar
 
Location: Wisconsin
This reminds me when I would watch Six Feet Under on Bravo. I loved the show so much that my dad bought me the whole series for Christmas. And the first time I sat down to watch it I was like, OMG, there's swearing, drug use and sex on a tv series!?!
Yeah...wasn't used to HBO television, lol.
__________________
I fly like paper, get high like planes
Starshine is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Playing With Fire
 
DaveOrion's Avatar
 
Location: Disaster Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauk
frak!
Please don't be offended, I apologize openly on the board. Now isn't this better than a PM???
__________________
Syriana...have you ever tried liquid MDMA?....Liquid MDMA? No....Arash, when you wanna do this?.....After prayer...
DaveOrion is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
I read your emails.
 
canuckguy's Avatar
 
Location: earth
I don't think they shock anymore, well the c-word might around most people. The c-word is not really used by most of my friends or family unless it is an extreme situation, but not when getting a cup of coffee in the morning.

I can see these words going away from tv/radio over time if the current regime continues south of my border.


I am currently on a no swearing kick, not that I swore constantly before just that I wanted to try and stop.

I think swearing has its point and use that is for sure. For example I think the TV show 'The Trailer Park Boys' is very funny but they swear so much it looses the bite and becomes annoying.

Carlin was able to effectively use the language to get his point across but not allow us to become desensitized (sp?) by it.
canuckguy is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
immoral minority
 
ASU2003's Avatar
 
Location: Back in Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel
I'm still not sure why profanities aren't allowed on television. I can't imagine profanities being a big deal if they're generally accepted. They're only "bad words" because people get offended by them.
I don't understand why nudity isn't allowed on TV either. It doesn't even have to be fucking, shiting, pissing, cocksucking or motherfucking. But it should be cunts and tits.
ASU2003 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
bad craziness
 
m0rpheus's Avatar
 
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, Tits.
Do they still pack a punch?

Shit - Mildly. Shit is still kinda shocking but you can hear it late-night.
Piss - Not at all.
Fuck - Yes. It doesn't top the list though.
Cunt - As said before call a woman a cunt and see what happens. I'd actually say this is the top of the list on shocking now.
Cocksucker - Not really. I've heard it on TV. It's the midway one, not the most shocking but not the least.
Motherfucker - Shocking sure but it has lost some of it's potency. Funny enough they can keep Fuck in movies up here in Canada, but they have to bleep out the "Mother" in Motherfucker.
Tits - Again not really. Only mildly more shocking than piss.

If I were to rate them in order from least to most shocking today it would be Piss, Tits, Shit, Cocksucker, Fuck, Motherfucker, Cunt.
__________________
"it never got weird enough for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
m0rpheus is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
I have a book, written by a woman, called Cunt. I saw it on amazon.com, and bought it for shits and giggles. But I don't think I'll be seeing that word on broadcast television for a while, but on cable (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc) it's okay. I think it still packs some punch though, call a lady a cunt to her face, and you can bet she'll not take it kindly. and I don't blame her. I think that the other ones have lost some of their punch and that tits is probably the weakest of the words.

Last edited by Terrell; 06-24-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Terrell is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Thief. Master Criminal. Masturbator.
 
SSJTWIZTA's Avatar
 
Location: Windiwana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlemon
If they have no power, they have no use. Why do you say it? To shock other people.
nope, its just been said so much that its part of my vocabulary.
__________________
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists and I did not speak out because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for me And there was no one left to speak out for me.
-Pastor Martin Niemoller
SSJTWIZTA is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Comment or else!!
 
KellyC's Avatar
 
Location: Home sweet home
They certainly don't shock me. I've long held the belief that words are all about context. There is no such thing as an offensive word to me (not even racial slurs). But that's the thing, it's only to me. I acknowledge that there are still many people out there who are bothered by the words. That's where I get to have my fun. So I'm ok with the current status of the words.
__________________
Him: Ok, I have to ask, what do you believe?
Me: Shit happens.
KellyC is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Misanthropic
 
Crack's Avatar
 
Location: Ohio! yay!
__________________
Crack, you and I are long overdue for a vicious bout of mansex.

~Halx
Crack is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master Thief. Master Criminal. Masturbator.
 
SSJTWIZTA's Avatar
 
Location: Windiwana
haha, thanks crack, its been a while since ive seen that.

now i need to go rent run ronnie run.
__________________
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists and I did not speak out because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for me And there was no one left to speak out for me.
-Pastor Martin Niemoller
SSJTWIZTA is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
It's a girly girl!
 
basmoq's Avatar
 
Location: OH, USA
I think the law should be left alone, It makes lots of money for the government when someone violates it (JK)
__________________
"There's someone out there for everyone - even if you need
a pickaxe, a compass, and night goggles to find them."
basmoq is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Insane
 
agree cunt is the worst of the bunch. i don't find it offensive personally, but it's not a regular part of my naughty vocab because it does offend a lot of people. the rest are words i'd say without a thought.
bad jane is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
what makes cunt so bad?? Hell half of my family is british.. it's just like any other word it seems like.
Glory's Sun is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
Nothing
 
tisonlyi's Avatar
 
What the cunting cunt are you cunting well on about, cunt?

What a fucking cunt.

--

Cunt is a great word to say. Hard start and end, pretty much like 'vittu' in Finnish, which means pretty much the same thing.

Haista Vittu!
__________________
"I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place." - Winston Churchill, 1937 --{ORLY?}--
tisonlyi is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Run Ronnie Run!! Ahahahahah
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
sufferable
 
girldetective's Avatar
 
Quote:
ASU2003 : I don't understand why nudity isn't allowed on TV either. It doesn't even have to be fucking, shiting, pissing, cocksucking or motherfucking. But it should be cunts and tits.
Hey, can we throw in some perfectly grown 5:00p shadow on the chin and long, wide, smooth, perfectly pink, unblemished wang too? All sweet and cunty smelling? For the girls, you know.
__________________
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons...be cheerful; strive for happiness - Desiderata

Last edited by girldetective; 06-25-2008 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: i ended up not changing anything. False alarm.
girldetective is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
King Knave
 
QuasiMojo's Avatar
 
Location: Lancaster
....and TITS shouldn't even be on the list, man.


I always thought that "silly cunt" had a certain panache
__________________
AzAbOv ZoBeLoE
QuasiMojo is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Upright
 
lotsofmagnets's Avatar
 
Location: reykjavík, iceland
cunt has actually become a term of endearment in australian language in certain circumstances.
__________________
mother nature made the aeroplane, and the submarine sandwich, with the steady hands and dead eye of a remarkable sculptor.
she shed her mountain turning training wheels, for the convenience of the moving sidewalk, that delivers the magnetic monkey children through the mouth of impossible calendar clock, into the devil's manhole cauldron.
physics of a bicycle, isn't it remarkable?
lotsofmagnets is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Addict
 
CandleInTheDark's Avatar
 
Location: Where the music's loudest
I sure find it offesive to sit on the bus, or wait in line, and hear someone use those words in the course of a conversation. When you use one of the seven every other sentence, it is quite obvious you have no sense of propriety.

Swear words as such because they provide emphasis, like an excalamation mark. If I ended every sentance with one it would lose its effect. No one needs to hear you yelling every word and no one needs you to say fuck or shit every sentence.
__________________
Where there is doubt there is freedom.
CandleInTheDark is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mine is an evil laugh
 
spindles's Avatar
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofmagnets
cunt has actually become a term of endearment in australian language in certain circumstances.
http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=113117
__________________
who hid my keyboard's PANIC button?
spindles is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Upright
 
Alta's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleInTheDark
I sure find it offensive to sit on the bus, or wait in line, and hear someone use those words in the course of a conversation. When you use one of the seven every other sentence, it is quite obvious you have no sense of propriety.

Swear words as such because they provide emphasis, like an exclamation mark. If I ended every sentence with one it would lose its effect. No one needs to hear you yelling every word and no one needs you to say fuck or shit every sentence.
That is my viewpoint as well.

Swear words, if used as simple adjectives and just thrown in randomly, are offensive, and so they should be. So they were designed to be. They should be saved, like big guns, for when they are needed to really rock someone back. Otherwise they seem pointless and make me think less of a person who is so verbally challenged in the act of making their point.
Alta is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
change is hard.
 
thespian86's Avatar
 
Location: the green room.
I hate the word cunt... it just makes me uncomfortable. So does tits, and I really say why, just because I suppose. Cocksucker, where I come from, is like a very back water way of saying Son of a Bitch (ie. That Cocksucker! so there is kind of a stigma)

It's funny because all of these are fairly mild now but for some reason calling someone "asshole" still makes me feel anxious. Again, I don't know why but I'm far more comfortable saying "Fuck you douche" then "Hey Asshole, stop being suck a cock sucking cunt".
__________________
EX: Whats new?
ME: I officially love coffee more then you now.
EX: uh...
ME: So, not much.
thespian86 is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crazy
 
echo5delta's Avatar
 
Location: Swamp Lagoon, North Cackalacky
Quote:
Originally Posted by guccilvr
what makes cunt so bad?? Hell half of my family is british.. it's just like any other word it seems like.
Twat.

In the places I'm at most often, "cocksucker" still packs a bit of a wallop. It's essentially the "cunt" equivalent for males, but since it's less-often used, it generally retains good shock value.

But hey - when Marines are yelling at each other, it's all fair game. Those who excel at it are noted, respected, and (usually) feared.
__________________
"Peace" is when nobody's shooting. A "Just Peace" is when we get what we want. - Bill Mauldin
echo5delta is offline  
 

Tags
dirty, shock, words

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360