Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Chatter > General Discussion


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Warrior women

Throughout the ages, men have dominated the field of battle and have stolen the spotlight in all things martial. But some of us know the capacity that women have in this regard. I, for one, am fascinated by it.

In real life, we have had such figures as the Amazons, Queen Zenobia, and Jeanne d'Arc.

In fictional accounts, we have myths, legends, and superheroes.

I've admitted my fascination with a particular warrior woman: Gina "Crush" Carano, the Muay Thai fighter, domineering mixed-martial artist, and American Gladiator.



Now before you say, "Oh, how cute!" here's a taste of what she's capable of (really worth the full viewing, including for the choke hold at the end):

I've also made it plain that I have an appreciation of Red Sonja:


From real-life heroes, to athletes, to superheroes....

Who are your favourite warrior women?
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot

Last edited by Baraka_Guru; 12-18-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addict
 
RangerJoe's Avatar
 
Holy shit. That girl is BAD ASS. I want to be her when I grow up.

I don't pay much attention to warrior women, though I did see this clip at one time:

RangerJoe is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Gina is my favorite only because she really embodies the spirit of Muay Thai.

Shame she had such a piss poor display against Cyborg not too long ago..

oh, and let's keep this thread on topic and not have the usual "women shouldn't fight" bullshit that seems to pop up from certain people.
Glory's Sun is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Yeah, I remember that clip, RJ. Crazy shit.
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broken Arrow
 
Vigilante's Avatar
 
Location: US
I have no doubt that gina would kick my ass.
__________________
We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-Winston Churchill
Vigilante is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: My head.
That Carano woman fuckin' scares me and turns me on at the same time!
Xerxys is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
I can't stop the horrific thought of taking 550 lbs. in the nuts.

You don't fuck around with a woman like that in the club.
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extreme moderation
 
Toaster126's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City, yo.
*swoon*

Carry on.
__________________
"The question isn't who is going to let me, it's who is going to stop me." (Ayn Rand)
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." (M. Scott Peck)
Toaster126 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addict
 
RangerJoe's Avatar
 
Here's an article with some hot girls from mma:
Beautiful But Deadly - Female Fighters Who Could Hurt You

Ummm Hi. HOT:
RangerJoe is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
I Confess a Shiver
 
Plan9's Avatar
 
Some of the women of World Combat League are hotties.

Check out Fightergirls.com - Fighter Girls, Women Fighting, MMA, Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling for more women warriors.

...

I've choked out a few women before. It was a lot of work.
__________________
Whatever you can carry.

"You should not drink... and bake."
Plan9 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crazy
 
bazkitcase5's Avatar
 
Location: Tupelo, MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxys View Post
That Carano woman fuckin' scares me and turns me on at the same time!
this

she is gorgeous
bazkitcase5 is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cosmically Curious
 
onodrim's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago, IL
I don't know anything about the sport, but I know I find it awesome! I've always admired really strong (literally) women and find it very attractive. Speaking for myself, when I was younger and very athletic, I would always play with the boys and was stronger than a lot of them, and I always really enjoyed that sense of being able to handle anything and competition. Now that I'm older and out of shape, it drives me crazy when I try to lift something and can't! Definitely motivation to get back in shape. Anyway, whether it's fictional warriors like Buffy or Kara Thrace, or any of today's female athletes, I say thumbs up all the way!
__________________
"The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides"
-Carl Sagan
onodrim is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
With a mustache, the cool factor would be too much
 
Fremen's Avatar
 
Location: left side of my couch, East Texas
I always liked the story of the Warrior Queen Boudica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Google
Fremen is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
She's Actual Size
 
CinnamonGirl's Avatar
 
Location: Central Republic of Where-in-the-Hell
I am limiting myself to three, otherwise I'll go completely overboard. Also sticking to fictional women, since I don't really get into MMA or boxing or such.


Artemis has always been a particular favorite of mine. Greek goddess of the hunt, wilderness, and virginity. In one of the stories, she turns a guy into a stag, and his own hounds kill him. Also? Kickass archer.



Alanna of Trebond is one of my favorite fictional characters ever. She disguises herself as a boy to undergo training as a page, then squire, and eventually becomes a knight. She's better at sword fighting than most of her peers (and therefore, most of the kingdom), and she's Gifted magically as well. (apparently, she's a minor character in three other series, and eventually has children, but I haven't read any of those.)



Another favorite of mine: Arya Stark. Okay, she doesn't qualify as "woman" quite yet, but she's scrappy, fearless, clever, and just plain awesome.
__________________
"...for though she was ordinary, she possessed health, wit, courage, charm, and cheerfulness. But because she was not beautiful, no one ever seemed to notice these other qualities, which is so often the way of the world."


"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
CinnamonGirl is offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Zeraph's Avatar
 
Location: The Cosmos
I love warrior women. My ultimate fantasy girl is definitely deadly. But more, ya know, ninja deadly, and not hulkish. Boxers, or muai tai or MMA I've never particularly cared for for some reason. Not sure why. Although rangerjoe's pic is pretty hot, that's more just cause the chick is hot in general. Realistic practitioners I'd be into would be more along the lines of kung fu and the like. The soft martial arts. Maybe fencing. Jujitsu could work or aikido. So I guess its the more brutish stuff I dislike seeing in women.


Hello? More perfect example, I think not.


Last edited by Zeraph; 12-19-2009 at 12:01 AM..
Zeraph is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Alien Anthropologist
 
hunnychile's Avatar
 
Location: Between Boredom and Nirvana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
I always liked the story of the Warrior Queen Boudica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey that is one of my favorite Warrior Ladies Too!!!
__________________
"I need compassion, understanding and chocolate." - NJB
hunnychile is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Comment or else!!
 
KellyC's Avatar
 
Location: Home sweet home
The Trung Sisters

They're the Vietnamese equivalent of France's Joan of Arc, I'd say. I don't know how big Joan is in France but the Trung Sisters are revered to a god-like level in Vietnam. Learned about them when I was in 1st or 2nd grade in Vietnam. They were legendary for riding on elephants into the battle field. The Chinese, Vietnam's enemy at the time, feared and hated them...because they're women, and they kicked serious ass. Another notable fact was their army consisted mostly of women. And the women soldiers were bad ass as well.
__________________
Him: Ok, I have to ask, what do you believe?
Me: Shit happens.
KellyC is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
We work alone
 
LoganSnake's Avatar
 
Location: Cake Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post
In real life, we have had such figures as the Amazons
We have?
__________________
Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future. Common sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot now. - J. Jacques
LoganSnake is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganSnake View Post
We have?
Dahomey Amazons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
We work alone
 
LoganSnake's Avatar
 
Location: Cake Town
Amazons are mythological by definition.

The Amazon warrior woman label that was applied to various groups after that just stems from that fiction.

Hence the skepticism.
__________________
Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future. Common sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot now. - J. Jacques
LoganSnake is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cosmically Curious
 
onodrim's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl View Post
Artemis has always been a particular favorite of mine. Greek goddess of the hunt, wilderness, and virginity. In one of the stories, she turns a guy into a stag, and his own hounds kill him. Also? Kickass archer.
I always liked Artemis too. I decided once that if I were a vampire, I would change my name to that.
__________________
"The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides"
-Carl Sagan
onodrim is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganSnake View Post
Amazons are mythological by definition.

The Amazon warrior woman label that was applied to various groups after that just stems from that fiction.

Hence the skepticism.
Copy that, and rightly so.
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Darth Papa
 
ratbastid's Avatar
 
Location: Yonder
ratbastid is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pickles
 
ObieX's Avatar
 
Location: Shirt and Pants (NJ)
Really diggin Kahlan from Legend of the Seeker.





__________________
We Must Dissent.
ObieX is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cosmically Curious
 
onodrim's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObieX View Post
Really diggin Kahlan from Legend of the Seeker
I love Kahlan, she's beautiful, but I'm also really enjoying Cara this season. They're good contrasts to each other, and Cara does have the "hotness" edge.
__________________
"The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides"
-Carl Sagan
onodrim is offline  
Old 12-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
Dumb all over...a little ugly on the side
 
Sion's Avatar
 
Location: In the room where the giant fire puffer works, and the torture never stops.
__________________
He's the best, of course, of all the worst.
Some wrong been done, he done it first. -fz

I jus' want ta thank you...falettinme...be mice elf...agin...
Sion is offline  
Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
sufferable
 
girldetective's Avatar
 
mixedmedia, abaya, ring, and me!

warriors in our own way.
__________________
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons...be cheerful; strive for happiness - Desiderata
girldetective is offline  
Old 12-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
 
ring's Avatar
 
Location: ❤
Yer damn right, Girl.
ring is offline  
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
I Confess a Shiver
 
Plan9's Avatar
 
I miss Abaya.
__________________
Whatever you can carry.

"You should not drink... and bake."
Plan9 is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Leaning against the -Sun-
 
little_tippler's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: on the other side
I have little knowledge of this, but I rather like Trinity in The Matrix:



Calm, cool, collected, strong, lethal...and tender. Not a bad way to be
__________________
Whether we write or speak or do but look
We are ever unapparent. What we are
Cannot be transfused into word or book.
Our soul from us is infinitely far.
However much we give our thoughts the will
To be our soul and gesture it abroad,
Our hearts are incommunicable still.
In what we show ourselves we are ignored.
The abyss from soul to soul cannot be bridged
By any skill of thought or trick of seeming.
Unto our very selves we are abridged
When we would utter to our thought our being.
We are our dreams of ourselves, souls by gleams,
And each to each other dreams of others' dreams.


Fernando Pessoa, 1918
little_tippler is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Eat your vegetables
 
genuinegirly's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Arabidopsis-ville
She's more brutal in the books, but she shows her force and beauty as she destroys Jabba...


__________________
"Sometimes I have to remember that things are brought to me for a reason, either for my own lessons or for the benefit of others." Cynthetiq

"violence is no more or less real than non-violence." roachboy

Last edited by genuinegirly; 12-22-2009 at 06:36 PM..
genuinegirly is offline  
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pickles
 
ObieX's Avatar
 
Location: Shirt and Pants (NJ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onodrim View Post
I love Kahlan, she's beautiful, but I'm also really enjoying Cara this season. They're good contrasts to each other, and Cara does have the "hotness" edge.
It *is* kinda hard to beat this scene...



(and they kiss too)


I still prefer Kahlan tho cuz you at least know she won't just slit your throat for no reason when hangin' out.
__________________
We Must Dissent.
ObieX is offline  
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #33 (permalink)
Browncoat
 
Telluride's Avatar
 
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guccilvr View Post
Gina is my favorite only because she really embodies the spirit of Muay Thai.

Shame she had such a piss poor display against Cyborg not too long ago..
It was actually a fairly competitive fight until the very end...
__________________
"I am certain that nothing has done so much to destroy the safeguards of individual freedom as the striving after this mirage of social justice." - Friedrich Hayek
Telluride is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #34 (permalink)
The Reforms
 
Jetée's Avatar
 
Location: Rarely, if ever, here or there, but always in transition
I've been meaning to add to this thread in some (competent) way for a while now, but I have no real ties or knowledge towards such "warrior women". I let it go.

I did, however, stumble across this pic just today (and subsequently looked up the particulars) and thought to share it here:



(click-thru the photo for the source)

"Janet Lynn West is a NPC Figure Competitor who is 47 years old. She is 5′4″ tall, weighs 123 lbs, and measures 35D-25-33. She lives in Ellicott City, Maryland.

Janet received a degree in accounting, then went on to get a MS in Human Resources. Although she worked in these fields for awhile, she is now a competitor and personal trainer. She was active as a cheerleader as a child, and even cheered for the Washington Redskins."



-- so my question is: does a woman have to "fight" in order to be a true warrior (in this thread's opinion and topic outlayal? I'm not trying to inadvertently shift this towards featuring little-known women who "fight" for the rights of dolphins or sub-$40,000 suburbanites who feel discriminated against).
__________________
As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world (that is the myth of the Atomic Age) as in being able to remake ourselves.
Mohandas K. Gandhi
Jetée is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
 
ring's Avatar
 
Location: ❤
ring is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
follower of the child's crusade?
 
I dont want even to get into the activity known as "muay thai" or the spectacle of a woman taking part in it...

With regards to fictional warrior women I like:

Buffy Summers
River Tam
Lady Deathstrike
Aonis Hades (there are different ways to wage wars)
Linden Avery the Chosen (as above)
__________________
"Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate,
for all things are plain in the sight of Heaven. For nothing
hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain
without being uncovered."

The Gospel of Thomas
Strange Famous is offline  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
Upright
 
ChillyWilly's Avatar
 
Location: Rancho Cucamonga/Pinon Hills
Historically speaking I would have to say that my favorite warrior women is Joan of Arc (or as the French spell it Jeanne d'Arc). But I would also have to say that Princess Pingyang is a bad ass along with the previously mentioned Queen Boudica. Fictionally I have many favorites but the one I like the most is Selene from the Underworld movies.
ChillyWilly is offline  
 

Tags
warrior, women

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73