Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Interests > Tilted Entertainment


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: wisCONsin
Tsunami Aid on NBC

Is on right now...get off your asses and watch this concert. these people have nothing.... This effort should help them.

mrb

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Tsunami_Aid:_A_Concert_of_Hope/
__________________
"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, it's probably in Tennessee --that says, fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me ... You can't get fooled again." - G.W. Bush quoted by the Baltimore Sun - Oct 6, 2002

Last edited by tecoyah; 01-15-2005 at 06:16 PM..
mrbuck12000 is offline  
Old 01-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Portland
I'm confused... what does watching a bunch of talentless, brain washed hacks have to do with sending my money to the impoverished people of East Asia?
I've sent what I can, and I'll send more later when I can. I will not boost NBCs [profit] ratings for the excuse of it being for a good cause. Similar to all those bastards who are throw "tsunami benefit" music shows here in Seattle... sure they'll give the "after cost" profits to the Red Cross or whatever, but they'll also make a shitload of money on alcohol sales (similar to NBCs sale of advertising time), and their next few shows [non-benefit] are going to rake in the cash as well (similar to the next few shows on nbc).
PulpMind is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Muffled
 
Kadath's Avatar
 
Location: Camazotz
FYI, it wasn't just NBC, but USA, Bravo, CNBC, SciFi, MSNBC, and some random WPPX channel -- all the channels owned by NBC. They flogged the hell out of that thing.
__________________
it's quiet in here
Kadath is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
I apologize to all the self-righteous, indignant rebels here on TFP, but I taped it and plan to watch it because it looked like a good concert.
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Did they actaually sell commecial time on this?

We had a benefit concert here in Canada... Canada For Asia and it was carried by the CBC and a number of other channels that are not affiliated with the CBC. No commercials.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 06:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Portland
What I saw had commercials every 10 minutes, followed by Clint Eastwood giving a first hand account of the horror of a tsunami crashing on the shores in front of you. oh the horror. clint, you're such a fucking hero.

give me a break. screw nbc (or television in general for that matter)... but at least they raised more money in the first 5 minutes than the president of the United States has donated in full...

bleh.
PulpMind is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpMind
clint, you're such a fucking hero. bleh.
God, I must be getting old. Back in the day, our peer pressure caused us to get off our asses and get involved with stuff. If you knew anyone who was in the Peace Corps, it was way cool.

I can feel my bones creak now when I notice that contemporary peer pressure seeks to shame people toward staying out of the action. It's one thing to personally decide to not get involved. It's another thing to not get involved and have an informed opinion.

But where did the caustic ridicule for those who choose to get involved come from?
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Portland
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrrreagl
God, I must be getting old. Back in the day, our peer pressure caused us to get off our asses and get involved with stuff. If you knew anyone who was in the Peace Corps, it was way cool.

I can feel my bones creak now when I notice that contemporary peer pressure seeks to shame people toward staying out of the action. It's one thing to personally decide to not get involved. It's another thing to not get involved and have an informed opinion.

But where did the caustic ridicule for those who choose to get involved come from?
who says I'm not involved? just because Clint sounded like a dumbass who didn't know what the hell he was talking about, doesn't mean I don't get involved. I'd bet I'm far more involved that you'll ever be. Are you going to Brazil this summer to help build an sustainable ecosystem? sending money directly to tsunami relief and not letting it pass through corperate interest, like NBC's show? taking a stand that is neither left nor right, but simply what you believe?

=)
PulpMind is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Here's a question to ponder... Should NBC do nothing, or something? Would it be better if Eastwood used his celebrity status to impress upon people the severity of the Tsunami or sit at home in Carmel doing nothing?

As you are going to Brazil to do something, these people are doing something in their own way...

You can get all cynical and sound really cool by making fun of the "bunch of talentless, brain washed hacks" and their efforts... or you can accept that this is what they do when they want to do something. You may not like them or what they stand for, that's fine, but respect the fact that they *are* doing something.

By the way, does anyone know if NBC/Universal is making any direct donations and are those donations equal to or greater than the amount they would have made on the ad time?
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpMind
who says I'm not involved? just because Clint sounded like a dumbass who didn't know what the hell he was talking about, doesn't mean I don't get involved. I'd bet I'm far more involved that you'll ever be. Are you going to Brazil this summer to help build an sustainable ecosystem? sending money directly to tsunami relief and not letting it pass through corperate interest, like NBC's show? taking a stand that is neither left nor right, but simply what you believe?

=)
Since we've never met, it's foolish at best for you to bet your involvement is "far more" than mine. Yet, I apologize. I didn't realize I needed to have my involvement graded for quality and approved. And here all this time I thought I was just helping.

But I'll bet my dad could beat up your dad.

Seriously, if you're going to set yourself up as a resident expert on what is acceptable vs non-acceptable aid for tsunami victims, how about sharing some of the info with the rest of us who are clearly not as global as yourself.

That's certainly got to be more helpful than simply dropping ridicule on the rest of humanity in a piecemeal fashion. All we've managed to hear from you is how wrong our assistance is instead of how to help out correctly. Tell me what's wrong with Clint's information so that I don't make the same mistake. Tell us all how to give money that doesn't pass through "corperate" hands. How can all of us get involved with building an ecosystem in Brazil that will somehow help those in India?
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.

Last edited by warrrreagl; 01-16-2005 at 06:00 PM..
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Moderator Emeritus
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrrreagl
I apologize to all the self-righteous, indignant rebels here on TFP, but I taped it and plan to watch it because it looked like a good concert.
I hope you get a better concert than what I watched. What I saw was just bad... It would have been more effective and less painful to watch these "stars" just write a check, rather than "donate" their time.

Madonna did a version of John Lennon's Image, that literally made my ears bleed.

Good for them for doing it I suppose, but I'd be hard pressed to call it entertainment, and it wasn't stirring enough for me to open up my checkbook... again.
__________________
Free your heart from hatred. Free your mind from worries. Live simply. Give more. Expect less.
maleficent is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleficent
I hope you get a better concert than what I watched. What I saw was just bad... It would have been more effective and less painful to watch these "stars" just write a check, rather than "donate" their time.

Madonna did a version of John Lennon's Image, that literally made my ears bleed.

Good for them for doing it I suppose, but I'd be hard pressed to call it entertainment, and it wasn't stirring enough for me to open up my checkbook... again.
I haven't watched it yet, so I'm still in anticipation.

And after thinking about it, I'll move the Peace Corps discussions to a board other than Entertainment.
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 01-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
trickyy's Avatar
 
commercial free concert, but definitely a good lead in to the next shows.
still the concert wasn't terrible. i mean the gesture, not the listed performers.

did the "and more" part of the lineup include anyone worthwhile?
trickyy is offline  
Old 01-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: IOWA
Anything trying to raise money (as long as it is legal) for the victims of the tsunami is a blessing. It will take years to rebuild over in those countries, especially in Indonesia.
drakers is offline  
 

Tags
aid, nbc, tsunami

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54