Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Interests > Tilted Gaming


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
<Insert wise statement here>
 
MageB420666's Avatar
 
Location: Hell if I know
Is the PS3 a piece of junk?

Back story: I work at Walmart. Tonight my store got 12 PS3's in, the 60gb version. It was announced over the PA that we had them at laway..... and nobody came back there for over 30 minutes.

So has it turned out that the PS3 is a bug-ridden piece of junk? Or was this just some fluke and nobody happened to be in the store that wanted to spend $600 on a game system?

I would have thought there would have been at least 1 or 2 people that would have jumped at the opportunity.
__________________
Apathy: The best outlook this side of I don't give a damn.
MageB420666 is offline  
Old 12-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rawr!
 
skier's Avatar
 
Location: Edmontania
imo, there aren't really any outstanding games for the PS3 to push their console. The wii had a much better launch title lineup and the 360 has some solid titles under their belt now, and both systems have games in development to maintain that momentum.

The "HD revolution" is still in it's infancy, blueray isn't enough to sell consoles. Personally, i think that after christmas, there will be plenty of PS3's sitting on shelves.
__________________
"Asking a bomb squad if an old bomb is still "real" is not the best thing to do if you want to save it." - denim
skier is offline  
Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
MexicanOnABike's Avatar
 
Location: up north
ha! they might think it was a joke or were just not ready to get it.
When i 1st heard there was ONLY going to be 400,000 for the launch, i just said: "i'll wait for it to come back next year and i can pay less for it." possibly a bunch of ppl are thinking the same. with not that many games out yet, it's not a good investment right now. also, i'm sure some ppl are waiting to see who wins the blueray/HD war. it would be a dissapointment to buy it for the blueray just to see it fail in a year when HD takes over.
__________________
MexicanOnABike is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy
 
I have a coworker who bought one, got it home plugged it in and it didnt work. Called Sony said it would be about Feb when it would be replaced, she just returned it. I keep telling her go with a 360 and buy a ps3 in a year or two but she's pretty hung up on getting one. Plus there isn't as much hysteria around the PS3 as there was about the 360.

People already knew that 90% of the shortage was going to end up being caused by hucksters on EBAY. Which is kind of funny as some PS3's are going for half of what many of the 360's were going.
__________________
Just remember this my friend, when you look up at the sky, you can see the stars and still not see the light..
jt6879 is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Here
 
World's King's Avatar
 
Location: Denver City Denver
I waited a year or so to get my PSP. I think I should have waited longer. The controls drive me crazy. Id write more but Im on my PSP now.
__________________
heavy is the head that wears the crown
World's King is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Confused Adult
 
Shauk's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA
it's not that it's a peice of junk, but it IS overpriced and being outdone by the wii. PS3 kinda overshot the consumer price point. They shot themselves in the foot because really, the only people buying this thing right now are die-hards and professionals with expendable income.

Normal people don't budget 600$ for a game system, and as someone who used to work at wal-mart... the average consumer that patrons wal-mart doesn't care about a ps3, the fact that it only took 30 minutes is amazing, to me.
Shauk is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tilted
 
imouseone's Avatar
 
Location: NY
Yup, the initial craze was just hype. Now that they are out, you realize how expensive it is and even if it is a good alternative to an expensive standalone bluray player, bluray movies are expensive themselves!
imouseone is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm a family man - I run a family business.
 
Redjake's Avatar
 
Location: Wilson, NC
I enjoy mine. It's loaded with quality. I'm not suffering from cognitive dissonance, either. I have a Wii as well. So far, I'm very happy with it. Resistance: Fall of Man is just as good as Zelda on Wii. The graphics are unbelievable. It's loaded with quality, like I said before - the 1080i output is JAW-DROPPING on an HDTV. If you have the money, I'd say go for it. Xbox 360 and Wii only have one truly flagship title that is MUST HAVE right now - same as PS3. Question is, do you have the money to buy PS3.

A lot of people are siding with Wii because it's less expensive, but listing items that aren't related to price as the strong points. Not very logical.

For instance, the motion-activated controller doesn't work very well except in two or three games. In fact, the version of Zelda: Twilight Princess on GAME CUBE that doesn't have the motion controller like Wii got great reviews and said the control scheme was actually MORE favorable than the Wii one. And guess what? The graphics are exactly the same. Wii doesn't have the power to put out the "next gen" graphics. It's all in your budget.

I don't see how people can complain about PS3 being $600 when the Xbox 360 is $400 - a 200 dollar difference is significant, but not enough to ridicule the PS3 and ultimately not buy it for.
__________________
Off the record, on the q.t., and very hush-hush.
Redjake is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stick it in your five hole!
 
Nikilidstrom's Avatar
 
Location: Michigan, USA
You can rationalize it as much as you want, but as stated above, there is just a certain price point that consumers just can't psychologically get around for any product, not just the PS3. While you are correct that $600 is not that much more than $400, especially when you are getting a blue-ray player included, that number just sticks in the head of the consumer as being too high, especially when you consider that a major demographic for the PS3 is middle age, middle class parents looking for a gift for the kids. In my particular case, I payed $350 for my xbox360, which was only 50 more than I payed for my xbox (and PS2 for that matter), and to pay almost double for an item that I am going to use for the same purpose just sounds insane to me, no matter how much I work it around in my head.
Nikilidstrom is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
C'mon, just blow it.
 
hulk's Avatar
 
Location: Perth, Australia
One point, Redjake - the 'Cube TP doesn't do widescreen or 480p
__________________
"'There's a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,' says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex."
-- From an IGN game review.
hulk is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Huggles, sir?
 
seretogis's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjake
I don't see how people can complain about PS3 being $600 when the Xbox 360 is $400 - a 200 dollar difference is significant, but not enough to ridicule the PS3 and ultimately not buy it for.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. $600 is 150% percent of $400. If someone -- especially a parent -- is used to spending $300-400 on a console gaming system and then sees one at $600 (remember the NeoGeo?) they will be very hesitant to buy it. The Wii is having a lot of success because of its much more reasonable price and higher availability. Sony is going to need to work a lot in the next year if they are going to "win" this round of the console wars, much less the HD war. They JUST released their standalone Blu-ray player and it is still twice as expensive as the Toshiba HD-DVD equivalent.
__________________
seretogis - sieg heil
perfect little dream the kind that hurts the most, forgot how it feels well almost
no one to blame always the same, open my eyes wake up in flames
seretogis is offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knight of the Old Republic
 
Lasereth's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
The PS3 is overpriced by a small margin ($500 for the top version is more reasonable) but it's by no means a piece of junk. It does only have 1 game worth buying for it though (Resistance: Fall of Man). Same thing with the Wii however...Zelda is the only must-have game for it, and the graphics are good enough, but not next-gen <I>at all</I>. Some reviewers are already saying the Gamecube version has better controls because you get the fully controllable camera...with 0 graphical changes.

Sony made a mistake by putting a Blu-ray in the PS3, but it's not big enough to seal their fate. I've seen Wiis sitting on shelves in my hometown, while the 25-payload shipment of PS3s were gone before I could look at a box yesterday at Best Buy.

It's a typical launch really. Most game consoles have 1 good game at launch and this one is no different...except the choice of "fun" controls that don't really work in 80% of the launch games, or being able to have next-gen graphics with every type of HD support for the cost of my car.
__________________
"A Darwinian attacks his theory, seeking to find flaws. An ID believer defends his theory, seeking to conceal flaws." -Roger Ebert
Lasereth is offline  
Old 12-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
I'm a family man - I run a family business.
 
Redjake's Avatar
 
Location: Wilson, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seretogis
The Wii is having a lot of success because of its much more reasonable price and higher availability. Sony is going to need to work a lot in the next year if they are going to "win" this round of the console wars, much less the HD war.
And Sony is having a lot of success because people purchased all of the available PS3s. People are forgetting that there isn't some huge overage of PS3s, with people blazing past piles of PS3s going straight for the Wii. The PS3 isn't overpriced because it's still selling. It's just a different niche of the market right now. To many people, myself included, $600 isn't a major difference between $400. It sucks both ways, one sucking marginally more than the other. You pay for features. Whether BluRay was a worthy feature is another discussion
__________________
Off the record, on the q.t., and very hush-hush.
Redjake is offline  
Old 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
C'mon, just blow it.
 
hulk's Avatar
 
Location: Perth, Australia
This sums it up nicely.
__________________
"'There's a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,' says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex."
-- From an IGN game review.
hulk is offline  
Old 12-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend
 
YaWhateva's Avatar
 
Location: New Mexico
The 360 ends up being the same price as the ps3 because with the 360 you have to buy the wireless attachment for $100 and the HD DVD player attachmebt for $100. So it ends up costing the same.
__________________
“If the Americans go in and overthrow Saddam Hussein and it's clean, he has nothing, I will apologize to the nation, and I will not trust the Bush administration again.” - Bill O'Reilly

"This is my United States of Whateva!"
YaWhateva is offline  
Old 12-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Newport Beach, CA
I'm fairly certain you don't need a wireless adapter or a HD DVD drive to play video games on the xbox 360 video game console.
NbCal is offline  
Old 12-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
<Insert wise statement here>
 
MageB420666's Avatar
 
Location: Hell if I know
Quote:
Originally Posted by NbCal
I'm fairly certain you don't need a wireless adapter or a HD DVD drive to play video games on the xbox 360 video game console.
I believe he was referring to the fact that you need those things to give the 360 the same operability as the PS3. The PS3 plays movies and has wireless remotes right out of the box (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong)
__________________
Apathy: The best outlook this side of I don't give a damn.
MageB420666 is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
C'mon, just blow it.
 
hulk's Avatar
 
Location: Perth, Australia
Price comparisons are illogical and rather pointless. Instead of looking at what you have to pay for this and that and the other unnecessary part, just look at the sticker price to get one into your house. The rest is just superfluous.
__________________
"'There's a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,' says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex."
-- From an IGN game review.
hulk is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
I'm a family man - I run a family business.
 
Redjake's Avatar
 
Location: Wilson, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaWhateva
The 360 ends up being the same price as the ps3 because with the 360 you have to buy the wireless attachment for $100 and the HD DVD player attachmebt for $100. So it ends up costing the same.
Yeah, pretty much

By the way, to give a fair comparison, I just busted open my new Xbox 360, and Gears of War has at least as good graphics as Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3, if not better. Xbox 360 is insanely powerful. It's a good purchase.

Interesting factoid, though - it took Xbox 360 a year to get a game that had that great of graphics, and PS3 had one with similar graphics on launch day - all food for thought. Looks like both systems will have INSANE graphics by the end of the shelf-time.
__________________
Off the record, on the q.t., and very hush-hush.

Last edited by Redjake; 12-25-2006 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Redjake is offline  
Old 12-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend
 
YaWhateva's Avatar
 
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjake
Yeah, pretty much

By the way, to give a fair comparison, I just busted open my new Xbox 360, and Gears of War has at least as good graphics as Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3, if not better. Xbox 360 is insanely powerful. It's a good purchase.

Interesting factoid, though - it took Xbox 360 a year to get a game that had that great of graphics, and PS3 had one with similar graphics on launch day - all food for thought. Looks like both systems will have INSANE graphics by the end of the shelf-time.
My thoughts exactly, there wasn't one game at the 360's launch that I would have even considered worth buying. Now that GoW is out though, I am fairly certain I want to get one. I also want a PS3 real bad (mostly for FFXIII, White Knight Story, and Lair) but that will be in the future. The 360 also had a really shakey start just like the PS3 has, except the 360 didn't have any other competitors at it's launch and the PS3 did.

And my point was exactly what Mage said, to get the same functionality out of a 360 you have to spend more money equivalent to the price of the PS3 to get it.
__________________
“If the Americans go in and overthrow Saddam Hussein and it's clean, he has nothing, I will apologize to the nation, and I will not trust the Bush administration again.” - Bill O'Reilly

"This is my United States of Whateva!"
YaWhateva is offline  
Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: Good ol Blighty
Gears of war is excellent for 360. Although yes has took some time to come along. Competition is healthy and can only get better. Yet i will stick with the 360. Think the ps3 is slightly overpriced imo.
__________________
Be cool b*tch now b*tch be cool
Sport 1976 Taxi Driver.
Porkchop is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned from being Banned
 
Location: Donkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaWhateva
The 360 ends up being the same price as the ps3 because with the 360 you have to buy the wireless attachment for $100 and the HD DVD player attachmebt for $100. So it ends up costing the same.
No, it's not the same.

Reason being, you have a choice. They're not required to run the system, nor will they ever be. They won't make games that require the HD-DVD drive, for example. I didn't buy the wireless attachment or the HD DVD drive, and most people didn't either.

Plus most places have a $100 rebate on the 360. Whether it's $100 off the price, or a free game & gift card, or free controller & XBL subscription...

So really, you aren't paying much more than a Wii at this point.

Sony doesn't give you a choice. In any case, $600 for a console with maybe one good game... yeah, ain't happening.

You can get a 360 AND a Wii for the price of a PS3
__________________
I love lamp.
Stompy is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knight of the Old Republic
 
Lasereth's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
I don't mind the price argument. Yes, the PS3 isn't worth getting over a Wii and a 360 right now. What I hate is when people say the Wii games are soo much better even though 95% of them suck just like the PS3 and 360.
__________________
"A Darwinian attacks his theory, seeking to find flaws. An ID believer defends his theory, seeking to conceal flaws." -Roger Ebert
Lasereth is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
I'm a family man - I run a family business.
 
Redjake's Avatar
 
Location: Wilson, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompy
You can get a 360 AND a Wii for the price of a PS3

You sure can, but a Wii and a 360 is pretty much equal to the PS3 in value. Games-wise, neither of the systems have more than 1 spectacular game, but if you choose to purchase Wii and 360, you get:

One console with subpar "next gen" graphics
One console without wireless support
Two consoles without high-definition media playing capabalities

If you buy PS3, you get:

One console with superior graphics capabilities, wireless support, and high-definition media playing capabilities, straight out of the box.

It's up to the consumer to decide on what they want. The PS3 isn't overpriced. It's not too much to pay for a gaming console. It just depends on what you want as a consumer. Each system is priced appropriately, for what's inside.

This is similar to saying "the iPhone is a RIP OFF because you could get a REGULAR cell phone, Mp3 player, and PDA for $600 instead!!!!!!"
__________________
Off the record, on the q.t., and very hush-hush.
Redjake is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned from being Banned
 
Location: Donkey
The Wii wasn't designed to be a next-gen graphical system, so calling it subpar is kinda off.

Wireless isn't a deal breaker. Having a wired network isn't a pain at all. 5 mins to run a line. Plus it saves $100.

360 can play high def via Media Center. Playing HD DVD is kinda moot since they aren't quite popular yet. Even then, if you got the HD-DVD drive, it's still cheaper than a PS3.

360 has TONS of great games. GoW, Viva Pinata, Rainbow Six Vegas, THPS8, Dead Rising, just to name a few. Not to mention XBL is leaps and bounds beyond what PS3 has (yet. I'm sure they'll patch the system and add to it over the next year or so.)

Wii just came out, so yeah, there's probably only 3 or 4 great games there at the moment till Mario & Metroid hit.

Bottom line, PS3 has nothing for it at the moment, and most of the exclusives are going to the 360 anyway because developers are increasingly frustrated with how their system is set up.

If you have $600 to burn for a game or two, that's someone's personal choice, but to pay that much for nothing spectacular is ... rather a bad investment.
__________________
I love lamp.
Stompy is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Friend
 
YaWhateva's Avatar
 
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompy
No, it's not the same.

Reason being, you have a choice. They're not required to run the system, nor will they ever be. They won't make games that require the HD-DVD drive, for example. I didn't buy the wireless attachment or the HD DVD drive, and most people didn't either.

Plus most places have a $100 rebate on the 360. Whether it's $100 off the price, or a free game & gift card, or free controller & XBL subscription...

So really, you aren't paying much more than a Wii at this point.

Sony doesn't give you a choice. In any case, $600 for a console with maybe one good game... yeah, ain't happening.

You can get a 360 AND a Wii for the price of a PS3
Ya, I agree that it's awesome that you don't have to spend the money if you don't want. I was just making a comparison to get the same functionality out of a 360 as a PS3 you would have to spend the same amount of money. Also, I don't see why you put that the 360 won't be using HD-DVD's for games as good because I see it as a HUGE drawback. Games on Blu Ray discs hold so much more data than a regular DVD. I sure wouldn't want games coming in 5 or more DVD's.

Also, you have to realize, yes there are rebates now on the 360, a full YEAR after it has been out. You can't expect that at launch from the PS3.

Edit:

Quote:
This is similar to saying "the iPhone is a RIP OFF because you could get a REGULAR cell phone, Mp3 player, and PDA for $600 instead!!!!!!"
I am so pumped about the iPhone. Just had to say that.
__________________
“If the Americans go in and overthrow Saddam Hussein and it's clean, he has nothing, I will apologize to the nation, and I will not trust the Bush administration again.” - Bill O'Reilly

"This is my United States of Whateva!"
YaWhateva is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned from being Banned
 
Location: Donkey
PS3 won't have any blu-ray games for quite a while, I guarantee you.

Games haven't evolved to that point yet to require so much data. Maybe the NEXT systems will, but not this lineup. They'll still be using the DVD9. *IF* it goes beyond that, it's cheaper to use two dvd's as opposed to a blu-ray disc.

The bluray is there purely for movies.

The thing is, the PS3 is probably a good system in its own way like the PS2 was vs. XBox. The price is what's killing them right now. They'd have to drop it by half in order to be back in the game.

Most people don't have $600 to burn, and that is what will cost them until they adjust it. That is why you see PS3s just sitting in stores now.

I'm not saying it's a POS system, and no, it's not "junk", but it's not a wise purchase at the moment. It's all about what you pay vs. what you get right NOW. I'm sure anyone would agree right there. I said the same thing about the 360 a year ago. Back then, it wasn't worth buying. It is now.

As for the iPhone, most phones that do that stuff are $500-600 anyway, so there's no unusual price there. That'd be more of a comparable statement if the iPhone were... say, $1000.
__________________
I love lamp.

Last edited by Stompy; 01-10-2007 at 02:59 PM..
Stompy is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned from being Banned
 
Location: Donkey
double post
__________________
I love lamp.
Stompy is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
C'mon, just blow it.
 
hulk's Avatar
 
Location: Perth, Australia
HD games need HD cutscenes. The first game to go heavy on pre-renders will fill the blu-ray without any trouble, trust me. Most prerenders on the 360 look like arse.
__________________
"'There's a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,' says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex."
-- From an IGN game review.
hulk is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Carno's Avatar
 
............
Carno is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
I'm a family man - I run a family business.
 
Redjake's Avatar
 
Location: Wilson, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompy
I'm not saying it's a POS system, and no, it's not "junk", but it's not a wise purchase at the moment. It's all about what you pay vs. what you get right NOW. I'm sure anyone would agree right there. I said the same thing about the 360 a year ago. Back then, it wasn't worth buying. It is now.

That's a slightly more reasonable statement than most people are arguing.

Still though, back then Xbox 36 had NO good games, no flagship titles, at all. PS3 already has Resistance. Everyone is forgetting about how good this game is because no one has a PS3 Why is the Xbox 360 worth buying now? Because it has Gears of War. Why is PS3 worth purchasing now? It has Resistance, and a ton of other features. If you don't want the features, buy a 360. If you do, buy a PS3. Both are worthy of purchase.
__________________
Off the record, on the q.t., and very hush-hush.
Redjake is offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
Insane
 
Willy's Avatar
 
I think Sony was looking toward the future. They are betting that superior technology will mean that in a year or two they will have a superior system and the games will have made use of it. I also think they rushed to get it out by Christmas and the bugs aren't all out of it yet. Considering that and the fact that HD vs. Blueray hasn't been settled yet, I'd hold off a year or so on the PS3. Personally though, for $600 I think I'd just buy a computer and you could play games on it and do a whole lot of other stuff as well.
Willy is offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Friend
 
YaWhateva's Avatar
 
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy
I think Sony was looking toward the future. They are betting that superior technology will mean that in a year or two they will have a superior system and the games will have made use of it. I also think they rushed to get it out by Christmas and the bugs aren't all out of it yet. Considering that and the fact that HD vs. Blueray hasn't been settled yet, I'd hold off a year or so on the PS3. Personally though, for $600 I think I'd just buy a computer and you could play games on it and do a whole lot of other stuff as well.
ya but see, you couldn't play games with the graphics of a ps3 for $600, and most of the ps3 games will not be available on pc.
__________________
“If the Americans go in and overthrow Saddam Hussein and it's clean, he has nothing, I will apologize to the nation, and I will not trust the Bush administration again.” - Bill O'Reilly

"This is my United States of Whateva!"
YaWhateva is offline  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
The main reason not to buy a PS3? The games.

All they have is Fall of Man, which does not even compare to Gears of War. A few unique weapons, but not nearly as beautiful or game play changing as GoW.

Outside of that PS3 has no good games at the moment that any of the others don't have. The 360 has a plethora of awesome games, and the Wii has a controller which is game changing (not for me, but I won't get into that). Don't look at the PS3's "motion sensitivity," just play it in the stores and you'll see only one game uses it, and it isn't even sensitive.
__________________
"Smite the rocks with the rod of knowledge, and fountains of unstinted wealth will gush forth." - Ashbel Smith as he laid the first cornerstone of the University of Texas
Seaver is offline  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Friend
 
YaWhateva's Avatar
 
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
The main reason not to buy a PS3? The games.

All they have is Fall of Man, which does not even compare to Gears of War. A few unique weapons, but not nearly as beautiful or game play changing as GoW.

Outside of that PS3 has no good games at the moment that any of the others don't have. The 360 has a plethora of awesome games, and the Wii has a controller which is game changing (not for me, but I won't get into that). Don't look at the PS3's "motion sensitivity," just play it in the stores and you'll see only one game uses it, and it isn't even sensitive.
the 360 has two games of mention, Gears of War and Rainbow Six: LV and the latter is on multiple platforms.

the Playstation brand has always been known to have great 3rd party support. The games will come. Not to mention, name one game that the Xbox360 had at launch that was anything but crap? At least the PS3 has Resistence right at launch. That's much more than Microsoft can attest to.
__________________
“If the Americans go in and overthrow Saddam Hussein and it's clean, he has nothing, I will apologize to the nation, and I will not trust the Bush administration again.” - Bill O'Reilly

"This is my United States of Whateva!"
YaWhateva is offline  
Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Salt Town, UT
I'll speak up in that I have all three systems.

Right now, the PS3 is not really worth it. It has one good title (Fall of Man), and some fun demos (GTHD and Motorstorm), but nothing else. The PS2 & PS1 backwards compatibility mean that you can still use it a bunch for any games you didn't happen to finish off before you got the new system. Other than that, I'd wait to get this until March-May. There are some nice looking games coming out in that timeframe that may end up being must-haves.

The system however is very nice, quiet, blu-ray works fine, doesn't seem to put out a ton of heat.

On the Motorstorm demo, you can get a feel for the motion-sensitive controls, and they seem really responsive, which is a plus but that is the only game that uses it for real right now.

Basically, it's a system without any must-have games for it, yet.
Rawb is offline  
Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junkie
 
MontanaXVI's Avatar
 
Location: Go A's!!!!
having owned my PS3 for about a month now, I can say that it is an IMPRESSIVE piece of hardware....did I say the games were great? NOPE, will they be? YES!!

Right now though the system itself is top notch, the games are not, but they will come this is a two month old system people it will not launch with a game that is as polished and refined such as God of War like the PS2 has, hell God of War 2 is even a PS2 game, people just need time to get used to developing for it and how the system works and all will be well.

To the nay sayers who bang on it saying that the developers are pitching a bitch because it is so hard to develop for, can this be all that bad of a thing? The 360/XBox1 used Direct X if I am not mistaken, people are used to it and how to get results fast, so good graphics and gameplay should be expected, but something new and innovative comes along and everyone wants to complain about how hard it is to use, let me ask you this, when learning to ride a bike did you fall off cry and throw your bike away? Probably not, you got on it again and learned how to do all the tricks.
__________________
Spank you very much
MontanaXVI is offline  
Old 01-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
the 360 has two games of mention, Gears of War and Rainbow Six: LV and the latter is on multiple platforms.
I disagree. Dead Rising, Elder Scrolls: Oblivian, Fight Night 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and numerous others have taken MANY hours of my free time. All of these are great games, and If I'm correct you can not get any of these on the other platforms (PC not counting). In a few months Halo 3 is coming out, and I hear the Final Fantasies are going to be 360, not PS3.

I'm not saying the 360 is perfect, however comparing it to my friend's PS3 I'm glad my room mate got the 360 instead.
__________________
"Smite the rocks with the rod of knowledge, and fountains of unstinted wealth will gush forth." - Ashbel Smith as he laid the first cornerstone of the University of Texas
Seaver is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #39 (permalink)
Friend
 
YaWhateva's Avatar
 
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
I disagree. Dead Rising, Elder Scrolls: Oblivian, Fight Night 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and numerous others have taken MANY hours of my free time. All of these are great games, and If I'm correct you can not get any of these on the other platforms (PC not counting). In a few months Halo 3 is coming out, and I hear the Final Fantasies are going to be 360, not PS3.

I'm not saying the 360 is perfect, however comparing it to my friend's PS3 I'm glad my room mate got the 360 instead.
Oblivion is on the PC and shortly to be on PS3. The other games you mentioned were pretty "meh" in my opinion. Let's not get this thread to start about Halo 3 (IMO the Halo series is god awful). Also, whoever told you the Final Fantasies are going to be on the 360 is totally mistaken. FFXIII, FFXIII Vs. and the next FF MMO(which might be slated also for the 360 but that's a might) are all slated for the PS3. Not to mention they are writing an entire engine, the White Engine, for future Final Fantasies and other Square Enix games leads me to believe that Square-Enix is in it for the long-haul. There will be a Final Fantasy for the Wii, however, but it will be a sequel to Crystal Chronicles from the Gamecube. Square-Enix knows that the Xbox has never sold well in Japan (where the Final Fantasies are most popular) so I highly doubt they will be going that route.

The PS3 is just trying to shake it's birthing pains, just like the 360 had to. You can't even really compare them since the 360 has been out for over a year and the PS3 only two months. Yet the PS3 has already had at least one great, console selling game and the 360 took a long time to get one of those out there. Just give the PS3 some time.

And I don't want people to think that I am bashing the 360, because I'm not, I want to have all three systems in my possession soon (can't wait for Gears of War and Two Worlds), I just think that people are not giving the PS3 the respect it deserves. The quality of the system is amazing and the games will follow shortly.
__________________
“If the Americans go in and overthrow Saddam Hussein and it's clean, he has nothing, I will apologize to the nation, and I will not trust the Bush administration again.” - Bill O'Reilly

"This is my United States of Whateva!"
YaWhateva is offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
The Dreaded Pixel Nazi
 
Konichiwaneko's Avatar
 
Location: Inside my camera
All I can add to this conversation is since the ps3's been out I've seen them in stock in Atlanta, Boston, New York, Albuquerque, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Seattle.

I was not able to find a DS or Wii at any of those stores.

I think the ps3 will be better later, but I'm hoping something revolutionary comes out for it.
__________________
Hesitate. Pull me in.
Breath on breath. Skin on skin.
Loving deep. Falling fast.
All right here. Let this last.
Here with our lips locked tight.
Baby the time is right for us...
to forget about us.
Konichiwaneko is offline  
 

Tags
junk, piece, ps3

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47