Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Knowledge and How-To


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
Eponymous
 
jewels's Avatar
 
Location: Central Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assnaked View Post
You see, using this thread as an example, isn't it painfully obvious that buying another lighter isn't a solution to the problem? He could buy every lighter in the world, and yet the lighter he considers special and worth keeping will continue to remain empty. Same goes for the guy who knew he had a drug test hanging over his head but still went on the cocaine binge. The time for "not doing drugs" has obviously come and gone. Why post redundant, uninformative responses?
Just because one doesn't like the response or is looking for a specific response doesn't mean the actual response is unresponsive. TFP is not Google and our collective experience may not be what you're looking for.

If you were able to Google and find TFP, why would one choose to totally disregard the more relevant outcomes to the search?

This was the fourth in my Google search on your behalf:

How to Refill Disposable Bic Lighters | eHow.com

There were many other outcomes but most agreed with your average TFP member. And BTW, I had me one of those special plastic lighters but decided to keep it in a little case where I have other keepsakes and memorabilia. It was less likely to be lost that way.
__________________
We are always more anxious to be distinguished for a talent which we do not possess, than to be praised for the fifteen which we do possess.
Mark Twain
jewels is offline  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Craven Morehead's Avatar
 
:edit:

now my reponse makes no sense
Craven Morehead is offline  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #43 (permalink)
Asshole
 
The_Jazz's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assnaked View Post
I've often wondered how to do this myself and I have a couple bic disposables in my possession that I wouldn't mind keeping around. Good questipn Finley.

This thread reminds me of something I notice a lot on message boards or Q&A sites and can't figure out the rationale behind. What is the thought process behind someone answering a question such as the OP's with an answer like "Buy another one, it's called <u>disposable</u> for a reason" and feel that they're helping. I see this a lot on threads where someone says, "I smoked/snorted/ate [random chemical/substance that they aren't supposed to consume] and have a drug test coming up. Is there anything I can do to speed up the excretion of the metabolites?" and the never-ending flood of "don't do drugs you idiot! That's the only way to pass the UA" come in, even when people can see that the person posting directly before them posted the exact same thing.

You see, using this thread as an example, isn't it painfully obvious that buying another lighter isn't a solution to the problem? He could buy every lighter in the world, and yet the lighter he considers special and worth keeping will continue to remain empty. Same goes for the guy who knew he had a drug test hanging over his head but still went on the cocaine binge. The time for "not doing drugs" has obviously come and gone. Why post redundant, uninformative responses?

Anyone have a clue to this? And "if it bothers you that much, don't read the replies" won't help because again, not only has that opportunity slipped away but it's also irrational because i'm not psychic.
How about because the "here's how you do it" and "this is a bad idea" are both valid answers? Just because you don't like the opinion doesn't make it bad.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - B. Franklin
"There ought to be limits to freedom." - George W. Bush
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo
The_Jazz is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
MSD
The sky calls to us ...
 
MSD's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxys View Post
Dang, this thread must be spammers delight. It has 30,000 views!
I'm pretty sure non-mods can see the list of linkbacks and refbacks at the bottom of each thread, and this thread has a bunch from search engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assnaked View Post
This thread reminds me of something I notice a lot on message boards or Q&A sites and can't figure out the rationale behind. What is the thought process behind someone answering a question such as the OP's with an answer like "Buy another one, it's called <u>disposable</u> for a reason" and feel that they're helping.
There's an important difference between "you shouldn't have used drugs in the first place" and "you're going to blow yourself up." This thread is the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is telling me that I should poke a hole in a pressurized reservoir, fill it through that hole, and trust the assuredly high-quality plastic in the 50 cent lighter to seal itself up.
MSD is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Upright
 
so i ran into this thread through google and found it helpful. i read everyones replies and was delighted to find the post by assnaked, but i was taken back by the replies to it. then felt i had to register and reply. im replying just to MSD cause its close enough to the other replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
There's an important difference between "you shouldn't have used drugs in the first place" and "you're going to blow yourself up." This thread is the latter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is telling me that I should poke a hole in a pressurized reservoir, fill it through that hole, and trust the assuredly high-quality plastic in the 50 cent lighter to seal itself up.
lol, yeah the important difference is one will kill you internally and one will kill you externally(although it cant unless youre a baby). you're obviously ignorant to the dangers of drugs and explosives alike, but also at the safety of them. your example fails because using drugs is actually exponentially more dangerous than a FULL lighter, let alone an EMPTY one. im sure the people posting buy a new lighter werent solely thinking of his safety, but more likely being dumbasses. either way they were a dumbass, cause theres no way a lighter can do harm to you in this method. the only step that can be stretched closest to "untrustable", is gluing your own refill valve. the only time i wouldnt trust this is if i used elmers glue and i tried lighting fire crackers. even if your superglue fails(i doubt it), the tiny hole you made will just release all the butane. oh noes!! chemical spill of butane! quick, grab your gas mask!

yes you are wrong. first, the author clearly states it is dangerous, warning any dumbass. also, the FIRST step is releasing any leftover gas... and yes i will trust my life with the same plastic that has been keeping that fuel in my lighters, and everyone elses' in the world, without fail for past 35 years bic has been making disposable lighters. are you going to trust your computer, stero, cd player, etc with every 5 cents they spent on the plastics making your CD? yes, because you know the past billion CDs they've played have had the plastics tested to make sure its safe, and it won't shred inside your drive and tear it to pieces. so if our world's physics don't change and the laws of chemistry stay the same, i think its safe to predict the next billion lighters bic makes will not have spontaneously decomposing plastics with a half life of a week.
stonedboss is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #46 (permalink)
MSD
The sky calls to us ...
 
MSD's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: CT
You sure hit the nail on the head, I know nothing about drugs or explosives

You also seem to have misread my poost. I didn't say I don't trust the plastic to do what it's designed to do or that it's unsafe to poke a hole in an empty lighter, I said I don't trust it to be self sealing to the extent that it will safely contain the pressure. For argument's sake, the boiling point of butane is 33F and the temperature of my leg as measured with an IR thermometer right now is 90.5F, putting vapor pressure of a filled lighter just over 3 atmospheres.

With a ballpoint pen, you're looking at a 2mm to 3mm hole poked in the bottom of the Delrin 100 plastic that Bic lighters are made of, the datasheet for which is here, and I hit a wall there because those values are useless without a proper measurement of the thickness of the reservoir of a Bic lighter. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it, but rather than do the math I'm going to fuck with some lighters and get it on camera to make a few points about safety and determine whether it will really seal itself up safely. I'll also blow up a few for fun.

I also trust CDs, which are made of a different type of plastic, not to explode in the drive (although you can find many reports of this happening on various forums) because a bunch of inquisitive Swedish guys tested them to determine safe spin speeds and I have not seen a drive that exceeds that "64x" upper safe limit.
MSD is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
Upright
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq View Post
:shrug: I used to refill them with the multifill tipped butane refill cans.

find one that fits the nozzle of the lighter, open the valve by pressing the button, and push the can down.

I dunno how much it ever refilled it, but I do know I had one bic lighter for quite some time
I would just like to point out that this is really the easiest way to refill a bic. no need to dismantle or otherwise harm the integrity of the lighter at all therefore no safety issue.
Slacker`Belmont is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Upright
 
i do have a lighter with the refill nozzle but i have noo clue what so ever to fill it with and its not butane lighter
51fenton is offline  
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #49 (permalink)
Upright
 
marksmanbbs's Avatar
 
Location: USA,Vt
Wow this thread is open for a long time and probably will be used for years,well just to say Bic lighters are a must for some folks,about five years ago they were a very important part of my daily activities so here is why i wished i had a refillable one at the time and sentimental is/was part of it.i was a crack cooker/user i bought a brick of Bic's (the block of 50)that are on the counter where we buy them separately,I was going through them like they were out of style but just for a test i bought a brick of them (50) and i was out and bumming lights from people in just a little over two weeks,now that's a lot of cooking with a Bic,the torches didn't last as long as a Bic,they ran out too fast,but in the process i did invent a lighter pipe that you don't have to takes your hand of the wheel when driving to light your pipe,

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

are you sure about the holding the button to keep the valve in the open position to refill?i'm thinking they have a one way check valve in there because i have tried that and all it did was blast butane all over and i was pushing all kinds of pressure,didn't work for me
marksmanbbs is offline  
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #50 (permalink)
Upright
 
ya I just use my zippo...... but j have a really sexy BIC with a shagadelic tiger on the front I guess I'll just use my butane filler nd...well, spray nd pray if ya know wat j mean guys.
NateItz is offline  
 

Tags
bic, lighter, refill

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360