Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Knowledge and How-To


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mjollnir Incarnate
 
Location: Lost in thought
Midi editing program

I need a simple program that'll let me edit midi files. All I need to do is be able to edit the "instruments" used, and insert vamps or other controllers that allow a midi to loop how I want it to. I tried Midi Maestro, but it isn't free. And I can't make it free, either... Any ideas?
Slavakion is offline  
Old 09-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
I have no ideas on free software for MIDI editing. I've never come across such an animal.
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 09-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Does it have to be free? How about cheap?
Look for Power Tracks Pro.
vanblah is offline  
Old 09-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mjollnir Incarnate
 
Location: Lost in thought
Thanks. I just now realized that this should have been in TComputers... oops.
Slavakion is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fuckin' A
 
tspikes51's Avatar
 
Location: Lex Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanblah
Does it have to be free? How about cheap?
Look for Power Tracks Pro.
I personally can't stand that one... or at least the version I used. You couldn't do anything in triple meter or even do triplets. Try Finale. It is widely accepted as the best computer music composition program editor (hence the hefty pricetag) among music professionals and students. Plus they offer a free version.
__________________
"I'm telling you, we need to get rid of a few people or a million."
-Maddox
tspikes51 is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
one word for anytime of music production or manipulation needed :::: REASON:::: google it for the link.. I use it and love it. REASON HERE they do offer a trial version but it's not even 1/4 of what you can do with the full version..especially with all the packs and refills they offer.

Last edited by Glory's Sun; 10-04-2004 at 12:09 PM..
Glory's Sun is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspikes51
I personally can't stand that one... or at least the version I used. You couldn't do anything in triple meter or even do triplets. Try Finale. It is widely accepted as the best computer music composition program editor (hence the hefty pricetag) among music professionals and students. Plus they offer a free version.
I agree it's pretty rudimentary ... although I'm pretty sure it allows for triplets and odd time signatures. I don't use it anymore, but for $25 it will certainly do what the original poster wants to do.
vanblah is offline  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mjollnir Incarnate
 
Location: Lost in thought
I'll have to check them out. Thanks.
Slavakion is offline  
Old 10-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Portland
ProTools free is very very powerful as well. Its only real drawback is that you're limited to 8 tracks, but I doubt you'll get more than that from a free program.
Reason is great for making electronic music, but I would'nt use it for anything else, and would never try to create anything "professional" on it.
I've been using Logic alot lately... it's rather expensive ($1K), but I'm amazed by how much it can do, and the score editor is pretty impressive.
Never used Finale, but it sounds like it's taylored for classical composition. I don't know a single person who makes true MIDI based music with it. Most use different progs depending on their style of music... Logic is popular with trance, Digital Performer is popular for house and commercial/pop music, MAX/MSP for experimental... etc...
/end ramble
PulpMind is offline  
Old 10-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpMind
ProTools free is very very powerful as well. Its only real drawback is that you're limited to 8 tracks, but I doubt you'll get more than that from a free program.
Reason is great for making electronic music, but I would'nt use it for anything else, and would never try to create anything "professional" on it.
I've been using Logic alot lately... it's rather expensive ($1K), but I'm amazed by how much it can do, and the score editor is pretty impressive.
Never used Finale, but it sounds like it's taylored for classical composition. I don't know a single person who makes true MIDI based music with it. Most use different progs depending on their style of music... Logic is popular with trance, Digital Performer is popular for house and commercial/pop music, MAX/MSP for experimental... etc...
/end ramble

why would you say not to create anything professional on reason?? The new prodigy album was composed on reason
Glory's Sun is offline  
 

Tags
editing, midi, program

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54