Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Knowledge and How-To


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oh shit it's Wayne Brady!
 
CityOfAngels's Avatar
 
Location: Passenger seat of Wayne Brady's car.
5th grade English question

I'm trying to help my little brother with his homework, but even I don't get this one:

"Circle the pair of words that would be guide words for the dictionary entries of the following words: 'wear' and 'wild.'

Wednesday/woman
wait/wipe
weak/wife"

My only guess is "weak/wife" because when you wear something down, you make it weak...and wild wife? I dunno.
CityOfAngels is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Submit to me, you know you want to
 
ShaniFaye's Avatar
 
Location: Lilburn, Ga
arent guide words the words at the top of the page of the dictionary?

if thats the case it couldnt be weak/wife because wild comes after wife

and it couldnt be wednesday because that comes after wear

so it must be wait/wipe
__________________
I want the diabetic plan that comes with rollover carbs. I dont like the unused one expiring at midnite!!
ShaniFaye is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oh shit it's Wayne Brady!
 
CityOfAngels's Avatar
 
Location: Passenger seat of Wayne Brady's car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaniFaye
arent guide words the words at the top of the page of the dictionary?
DOH! hehe thanks shani! Now I feel reeaal stupid.
CityOfAngels is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Unbelievable
 
cj2112's Avatar
 
Location: Grants Pass OR
Shani Faye has it correct.
cj2112 is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Submit to me, you know you want to
 
ShaniFaye's Avatar
 
Location: Lilburn, Ga
YAY do I win something?

oh wait this was for a 10 year old......so I'll just say...glad to be of help
__________________
I want the diabetic plan that comes with rollover carbs. I dont like the unused one expiring at midnite!!
ShaniFaye is offline  
Old 10-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: geff il
hmm wish i woulda seen that 1 first.... im never right but i had that 1
rfra3645 is offline  
Old 10-24-2004, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Err, if you are looking for the word that will apear on the top of the page containing say, wear, wouldn't you be looking for a word that is before it?

That would make the answer weak/wife.

Or are we looking for an interval that will contain the pair of words, making it wait/wipe?
molloby is offline  
Old 10-24-2004, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
SiN
strangelove
 
SiN's Avatar
 
Location: ...more here than there...
it needs to include both 'wear' and 'wild.'

So: wait, wear, wild, wipe.

Why does the question seem too simple for a 10 year old to me?

It's just about knowing your alphabet, which iirc I had down @ age 5?

maybe it's jsut an excersize in slowing down and thinking? (which I think even us adults had to think a few seconds and order things).
__________________
- + - GiRLie GeeK - + -
01110010011011110110111101110100001000000110110101100101
Therell be days/When Ill stray/I may appear to be/Constantly out of reach/I give in to sin/Because I like to practise what I preach
SiN is offline  
Old 10-24-2004, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA, Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN
it needs to include both 'wear' and 'wild.'

So: wait, wear, wild, wipe.

Why does the question seem too simple for a 10 year old to me?

It's just about knowing your alphabet, which iirc I had down @ age 5?

maybe it's jsut an excersize in slowing down and thinking? (which I think even us adults had to think a few seconds and order things).
I think that's a bit harsh. The problem is certainly simple enough, but it depends absolutely on knowing (or being able to divine) the definition of the term "guide words". I have certainly never heard the term before, and the little mental jump required doesn't really have any correlation with age or grasp of the alphabet at all.
antisuck is offline  
Old 10-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Disorganized
 
sbscout's Avatar
 
Location: back home again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisuck
I think that's a bit harsh. The problem is certainly simple enough, but it depends absolutely on knowing (or being able to divine) the definition of the term "guide words". I have certainly never heard the term before, and the little mental jump required doesn't really have any correlation with age or grasp of the alphabet at all.
The directions say to locate which guidewords in the dictionary would include the given words. An educated guess is that the class the child is in is practicing using a dictionary, therefore the definition of 'guide words' was given to him in class. As a teacher, my experience has been that 10-year-olds will look straight into your eyes and say they understand the directions but have absolutely no clue as to what they are supposed to do.

The correlation was there - it just didn't make it all the way home until he had to do his homework.
__________________
Always question authority... it'll keep the bastards on their toes!
sbscout is offline  
Old 10-24-2004, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA, Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbscout
The directions say to locate which guidewords in the dictionary would include the given words. An educated guess is that the class the child is in is practicing using a dictionary, therefore the definition of 'guide words' was given to him in class. As a teacher, my experience has been that 10-year-olds will look straight into your eyes and say they understand the directions but have absolutely no clue as to what they are supposed to do.

The correlation was there - it just didn't make it all the way home until he had to do his homework.
Perhaps I misread SiN's comment; it seemed to me there was a jab in there at the adults discussing this question on the boards. That's where my comment was directed.
antisuck is offline  
 

Tags
5th, english, grade, question

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54